Thinking About Getting a HDTV

Peppercorns

Hey guys,

My Birthday is coming up one of these days, and I was actually thinking of getting an HDTV. :)

Now I don't have that much money to blow and was looking in the R5000-R10 000 price range. I'm planning on getting a 720p HDTV because I don't think its possible to get a 1080p supporting one without paying R10 000+ ;)

Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific make or model of HDTV to get?
Are there any really good deals on HDTV's that anyone would recommend?

Thanx Peppercorns

dhez

games has a special on for either R7000 or R8000 on a lg very cheap have a look at the game specials, i think it ends this weekend

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I'm planning on getting a 720p HDTV because I don't think its possible to get a 1080p supporting one without paying R10 000+ ;)
You sure about the 1080? I remember seeing some for <R10k somewhere...

Just make double sure that the TV supports the type of input you want. There was some scam a few weeks back where people tried to offload some HDTV for cheap-cheap because they don't have the right inputs...but support 720/1080 and where therefore labeled as HDTV.

wizdumb

Expert Member
saw that one as well, think its for 7,999 - ad says something about cheapest 80cm lcd under 8k

lived666

Executive Member
Yeh, be on the look out for real HDTV and HDTV Ready.
Ok I don't know much but from reading I gather:
Real HDTV has a built in tuner that can receive HDTV signals whereas HDTV ready means it doesnt have a built in HDTV tuner but can display HD images say from an Xbox (maybe also from DSTV - not sure on that one)

Peppercorns

Thanks for the input guys ;)

That LG one looks like a really good deal, will look into it.

I'm mainly gonna be using the HDTV for my PS3, but will probably also want it to be able to support HDTV signals at a later stage as well.

If you see/hear any other good deals or have any more recommendations, keep them coming :)

EDIT: Found this one: http://www.game.co.za

I think its the one you guys were talking about.

Last edited:

dhez

if you in jhb you can got to hirsch in jhb, and speak o a guy named Jerome at the fourways store! say you a friend of dhez's and he should give you the best deal around! all my friends have bought from him including myself

Fern9do

Expert Member
I baught one 2 months ago, a samsung 32".
I would recomend that one,its (Relatively)cheap and good quality.Payed R6999. Has 2 HDMI input thingys, you can connect a pc/Laptop up to it, and picture quality is good.Check it out at Game.

Peppercorns

So I've been having a look around and it seems that at Makro one can buy a Sony Bravia 32" LCD HDTV for R6999, which doesn't seem too bad a deal. :)

I also saw that they sell Sinotec LCD HDTV's for R4999 (32") and R5999 (37" Special). Does anyone know if Sinotec are a reliable and good quality make of HDTV?

Fern9do

Expert Member
So I've been having a look around and it seems that at Makro one can buy a Sony Bravia 32" LCD HDTV for R6999, which doesn't seem too bad a deal. :)

I also saw that they sell Sinotec LCD HDTV's for R4999 (32") and R5999 (37" Special). Does anyone know if Sinotec are a reliable and good quality make of HDTV?
Rather go with Sony or Samsung, you wont be dissapointed either way.

fxit_man

Executive Member
Hey guys thinkin of getting a Full HD plamsa/lcd - prob about 50" or bigger..

Does anyone have recommendations?

Also i wanted to ask, with 1080p - is there anything else that i have to check? Such as the frame rate that the monitor/tv supports? Iv'e read about the different frame rates that 1080p has which is 1080p/60, 1080p/30/ and 1080p/24

I dont know that much about HD so i thought id ask someone here..

I've always gone for Panasonic so im thinking of that right now..

Thanks for any help in advance