Third wave of COVID-19 is on the way - vaccinations won't be on time

Chris

Journalist

A third wave of COVID-19 is expected to hit South Africa soon, and government's vaccination programme is unlikely to beat it in time.

This is according to Stellenbosch University virologist Professor Wolfgang Preiser, who was speaking to the Sunday Times.

“It is basically too slow to make an impact if the third wave strikes during the next few months, as some people fear," said Preiser.

Ginad28

A third wave of COVID-19 is expected to hit South Africa soon, and government's vaccination programme is unlikely to beat it in time.

This is according to Stellenbosch University virologist Professor Wolfgang Preiser, who was speaking to the Sunday Times.

“It is basically too slow to make an impact if the third wave strikes during the next few months, as some people fear," said Preiser.
Nobody to blame but the inefficiency of the government and health department.

animal531

Expert Member
Will the bodies pile up on the street , this time around

My guess is that this time its going to hit us right in winter, with a few extra nice new strains from the UK/India to bolster up the infections. So my prediction is probably that we'll be a bit worse off than last time, but not terribly so.

Ginad28

It will hit world wide and affect all who haven’t been vaccinated

system32

Expert Member
Nobody to blame but the inefficiency of the government and health department.
+1
ZA Government has had a year to prepare and not much done.
In India, ZA Government has got a real life example of what can happen as a result.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It will hit world wide and affect all who haven’t been vaccinated
There's not much evidence to suggest that vaccinations is really effective.

We'll only see that in Europe's next winter cycle.

KikzAzz

+1
ZA Government has had a year to prepare and not much done.
In India, ZA Government has got a real life example of what can happen as a result.
In India they had vaccinated 43 million people when the current wave struck. It was only 4.3% of the population though.

shinji

Heard last month the 3rd Wave is expected by 15 May 2021.
One of our enlightened ministers mentioned it in an interview (no source as I was "too surprised" at the accuracy of this "expectation").

Much like the 2nd wave, we'll see fearmongering (looking at you etv) and most likely some kinds of restrictions again.
Plus, I do expect to see a big push to make the vaccine obligatory.