Thirt.com closes, absconds with escrow money

Smallaxe

Customers were notified on 22 Oct 2008 that Thirt would be ceasing operations,
and that payments from the escrow accounts would be "made within 4 days".

Now it seems that Thirt has disappeared completely!

Emails are not answered and http://thirt.com/ has no content.

Phone numbers have been reallocated to another company.

Does anybody know where Brian Winterstein can be contacted? The SAPS are
out looking for him.

---

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Can't help - but not surprised- used these guys once, and struggled to get my money from them.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Hi. What is/was thirt.com exactly ?

Its an escrow service.

An example - if you want to buy something from me, and don't trust me, thirt acts as a third party, and holds the money until you get the item and are happy with it, then release the money to me. At a fee of course.

Asha'man X

Expert Member
I used them once with Sybaritic earlier this year, and it actuallyt worked out well enough. I understand that Sybaritic has had so many issues with credit cards, and now after this, who knows, maybe they will stop offering the facility completely.

Grrr.....

schmaltzy

I am Brian Winterstein and you can contact me on 083 791 5000 or (011)802 3280. Just for the records I have not dissappeared. Further more we closed Thirt because of the high credit card fraud rate. We also notified all users 6 months ahead of closing. We also followed up with notices in the press and a further email 30 days before we finally closed. All creditors were paid out in full out of the shareholders pockets.
This being the case a retraction of your statement would be appreciated and a public apology.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I am Brian Winterstein and you can contact me on 083 791 5000 or (011)802 3280. Just for the records I have not dissappeared. Further more we closed Thirt because of the high credit card fraud rate. We also notified all users 6 months ahead of closing. We also followed up with notices in the press and a further email 30 days before we finally closed. All creditors were paid out in full out of the shareholders pockets.
This being the case a retraction of your statement would be appreciated and a public apology.

I'm not retracting anything - you guys screwed me around WELL before you went down. I still believe its due to bad service.

SoTrue

Expert Member

What do you mean by "creditors were paid out in full out of the shareholders pockets"? This to me means that the business was insolvent?

Big Kriss

If a guy such as Brian puts it so far out here, I tend to believe that they were ethical in the practice and the ensuing closure. Very possible that there are little un resolved problems, its normal when businesses close. Cudos Brian.