This custom Kia Rio is an absolute head turner

Crowley

Executive Member
Not my thing at all but I've seen worse looking cars.

Long term plans include rebuilding the engine to get power up to 200wkW

How do you "rebuild" a 1400 engine that pushes out 60Kw to 200Kw?

B-1

Expert Member
Not my thing at all but I've seen worse looking cars.

How do you "rebuild" a 1400 engine that pushes out 60Kw to 200Kw?
Big turbo. But 200kw on the wheels is very optimistic if he wants it to be an every day drivable car and not a track/drag car.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah no, not a head turner as far as I'm concerned. Why spend all of that cash upgrading a very average car, when the cash could have been put aside and he could have got a better car since he was buying 2nd hand to start with.

I would also love to know what his plans are to get 200kw out of a 1.4l engine and not have it blow up after 10kms. Even 100kw is going to make the thing very odd to drive and probably somewhat unreliable.

**EDIT**
Looking at the pictures a bit further, the stickers on the side of the car just screaming "Fast and Furious" tryhard.. and those wheels are fugly.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Why? A bog standard Audi A4 with the 1.4 tfsi engine makes 110kw already.

It was designed that way..

The engine in the Rio wasn't designed for that sort of performance out of the box. I'm not saying its not possible, but the amount of money required to make that engine produce 100kws reliably, and in a nice driveable fashion would be retarded, and 200kw would be an even more retarded amount of money.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Ja nee, those wheels, he going to be one of those people going sideways at 2km/h over any speedbumps.

Ecko_1

I needed a good laugh this morning.

I wonder if Mathews insurers will get to read this article. Maybe he has informed them that he has modified the performance though.

nazmo

Expert Member
Why? A bog standard Audi A4 with the 1.4 tfsi engine makes 110kw already.

Cars built with Turbo's in mind tend to have components engineered to handle the boost. Up to an including forged internals. An eco NA motor will go boom when you hit close to even double power quite easily. Its only on over engineered NA performance engines, where you can boost on stock internals, even then its usually low boost.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Cars built with Turbo's in mind tend to have components engineered to handle the boost. Up to an including forged internals. An eco NA motor will go boom when you hit close to even double power quite easily. Its only on over engineered NA performance engines, where you can boost on stock internals, even then its usually low boost.
Blah blah bl;ah. I'll meet you in Brakpan one day to prove a point.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I think it looks great but what a waste of money
But I dont like those hubcaps, they're lekker Bellville :thumbsdown:

ToxicBunny

Blah blah bl;ah. I'll meet you in Brakpan one day to prove a point.

Shall we do a gumball rally from JHB to CPT. (backwards of course, with the aircon on :p ).

Reckon the NA motor that has been boosted to double its capacity on the cheap won't get even half way.