This graph shows the petrol price over the past 10 years

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
This graph shows the petrol price over the past 10 years

With 95 octane petrol topping the R16 mark this week, there are many unhappy motorists around.

Whether it’s the prospect of another big petrol price hike in August, or the fact that a large chunk of per-litre prices go to failing government agencies, filling up is becoming less pleasant.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Has more or less doubled in price over 10 years. My salary has also doubled, but I did get a promotion in between. My old salary would not have doubled, but would have gone up by about 60-75%.

surface

Executive Member
Has more or less doubled in price over 10 years. My salary has also doubled, but I did get a promotion in between. My old salary would not have doubled, but would have gone up by about 60-75%.
Good point. I doubt if there is any forum member who has not doubled the salary (at a minimum) from 2008.

Knyro

Honorary Master
This graph shows some wavy blue stuff and not much else. No adjustments for inflation? Really MyBB?

geezer

Expert Member
Good point. I doubt if there is any forum member who has not doubled the salary (at a minimum) from 2008.
Mine has unfortunately not. I have not had an salary increase of more than ±6.5% in the last number of years, and 2 years in a row 0% increase.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Mine only double because of the promotion in between. It would not have doubled otherwise.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Mine hadn't either. Had to start moving around eventually to keep up with inflation... If my salary was double of what it was in 2008 I'd be smiling today, I ain't.

surface

Executive Member
Mine only double because of the promotion in between. It would not have doubled otherwise.
I might be getting terrible salary back in 2008 because of labor broker involvement that time. That might explain double salary part. :p Also, maybe double income might be applicable to IT people.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
No adjustments for inflation? Really MyBB?
I'd prefer plotting the oil price in ZAR on the same graph, takes care of currency fluctuation and inflation in one go and it exposes the lie that the price is only affected by oil price, exchange rates and levies.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I remember filling up in Potch in 2006, and the price being R5.84. It seems insane to imagine now.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Here we go, never mind the last 10 years, here is the last 28 with the oil price per liter of the time converted to ZAR:
fuel history.jpg

The whole "US$ exchange rate / international oil price" line is a crock, note especially how the oil price in ZAR has gradually gone up since 2016, yet the petrol price has skyrocketed ...

Also, take 2014 vs 2018, the ZAR oil price has dropped 20% in that time, yet the petrol price is up by 15% :wtf:fuel history.jpg

Last edited:

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
We don't need ANOTHER leech pissing away billions in tax revenue, that's the one skill our government already has ... :whistling:
He does pay his government loans back, and with interest. So leech isn't the word you're looking for.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
This graph shows some wavy blue stuff and not much else. No adjustments for inflation? Really MyBB?
That would only be useful relative to our salaries though.

I think it would be better to plot this graph against the exchange rate and oil price over the same period. Since these are the biggest external influences on the fuel price. This will then show us how much of an effect the internal factors (taxes, margins etc.) have had over the same period.

I recall not too long ago when oil was well above $100 and the rand was pretty much as schit as it is now - why were fuel prices lower then?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Here we go, never mind the last 10 years, here is the last 28 with the oil price per liter of the time converted to ZAR:
View attachment 534353

The whole "US$ exchange rate / international oil price" line is a crock, note especially how the oil price in ZAR has gradually gone up since 2016, yet the petrol price has skyrocketed ...

Also, take 2014 vs 2018, the ZAR oil price has dropped 20% in that time, yet the petrol price is up by 15% :wtf:
We need a 3rd line to show the exchange rate as well...