This is all that's left of a R7m 'smart park' in Cape Town's gangland

schumi

Honorary Master
Rubble and ash are all that remain of a R7.6m “smart park” opened just 16 months ago in in one of Cape Town’s most troubled neighbourhoods.

“There is nothing left,” Zahid Badroodien, the mayoral committee member for community services, said on Wednesday.

Wanton destruction and vandalism” had turned Seawinds Smart Park, near gang-plagued Lavender Hill, into a charred skeleton
Pics in link: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...t-of-a-r7m-smart-park-in-cape-towns-gangland/

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Well at least they built something. "Elsewhere" they would spent the money and had nothing to show.

GoB

Expert Member
There are buildings besides the playground which I guess is the bulk of the 7.6 million.

All-concrete playground next time please. Check if it lasts 17 months.

Knyro

Honorary Master
This was dumb. Everybody knows that parks in sketchy areas are a hotbed for crime and gangsterism. As well providing a place for delinquents in the area to loiter in during the day.

You have to deal with the crime in the area before you spend money on things like this.

Bewlen

I think another feelgood-fuzzywuzzy project is in order. Maybe rebuild it, but this time with big tv screens, gaming consoles and some tablets strewn around for good measure. But wait, before the park is opened, we get Panyaza to give them a stern warning not to f*** it up again. That should seal the deal.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
There are buildings besides the playground which I guess is the bulk of the 7.6 million.

All-concrete playground next time please. Check if it lasts 17 months.
I don't think that the buildings were part of the park. That first pic doesn't look like it was taken in the same location as the third picture.

Nick333

Honorary Master
When will people learn that grand gestures don't solve anything? Before you build nice things in townships, visit a township and see what happened to all the other nice things.

Knyro

Honorary Master
When will people learn that grand gestures don't solve anything? Before you build nice things in townships, visit a township and see what happened to all the other nice things.
Depends where you are. Parts of Soweto are pretty nice.