This is all that's left of a R7m 'smart park' in Cape Town's gangland

eg2505

Honorary Master
I just love how our tax money is being misspent on rubbish like this,

makes me smile sometimes,

Lupus

Honorary Master
More likely do nothing? how about the fact that better areas most likely have all those facilities like parks? which are well mantained on top of that?
Really? Have you seen any massive parks with nice play areas in better areas? Cause I haven't, in my area we've got one little park that has a slide, merry go round, swings and a seesaw, they even took away the tapes and that's it. A lot of the time you can't use a part of it because the little stream is so overflowing with rubbish it actually overflows into the park itself.
In fact a lot of areas don't have a lot of public facilities at all, no public pools, parks or anything, it's one of the reasons in Gauteng you've got to pay to do things because there are hardly any public areas.

Nick333

Honorary Master
More likely do nothing? how about the fact that better areas most likely have all those facilities like parks? which are well mantained on top of that?
Um... maintained? What maintenance does a park actually need if the playground isn't being pillaged? Grass gets mowed once a month?

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
drug dealers lost out here.

a play area that gathers all the kiddies around to make it easier for the dealers to save time handing out their "candy". feel sorry for the Cape Gangsters.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
:ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh: I am no Nostredamus guy but I coulda predicted this would of happened. What were they thinking and how did this get approved?? LOL
The problem is the City will get even MORE flack for NOT developing in those areas.
:ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh: I am no Nostredamus guy but I coulda predicted this would of happened. What were they thinking and how did this get approved?? LOL
Indeed, but the City will get even MORE flack for NOT developing in those areas.

Everyone knows what it's like and what will happen, but you cannot say it out loud.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Um... maintained? What maintenance does a park actually need if the playground isn't being pillaged? Grass gets mowed once a month?
Grass, cleaning.

Sun damage on jungle gym and slide stuff etc.

Actually quite a lot that needs to (and doesn’t get) be done looking at the general state of these things.

Lupus

Honorary Master
They should just keep it simple. All a park needs to have is the following.
1) Grass
2) Trees
3) A slab of concrete to bounce a ball on.
4) Regular patrols from the metro police to keep the scum out.
A public pool would be nice as well, the South of Johannesburg used to have them. Was nice when I was younger my dad lived in a block of flats but we could go to the park and swim.
There was even a sports club that had a decent pool area, was R2 entry fee so almost public pool.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
They should just keep it simple. All a park needs to have is the following.
1) Grass
2) Trees
3) A slab of concrete to bounce a ball on.
4) Regular patrols from the metro police to keep the scum out.
It should then be the same in all areas.
Total furore if you find a park with swings and nice things in Newlands, and none of that in Mitchell's Plain and the Cape Flats.

So you'll spend 7.6 million in a park where you know it's a problem, but in better areas that probably actually pay their rates and taxes you'll more then likely do nothing?
How else are you going to get votes.

They should just be handing out the cash in those areas, much simpler.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
A public pool would be nice as well, the South of Johannesburg used to have them. Was nice when I was younger my dad lived in a block of flats but we could go to the park and swim.
There was even a sports club that had a decent pool area, was R2 entry fee so almost public pool.
I also grew up in the South of Jo'burg and still live there.

I remember the park, public pool and public toilets in Rosettenville.

First they had to fill the swimming pool because people started bathing and doing their washing in it. Then they sealed the toilets because one can only imagine the state of them. Then they started stealing/vandalising the rides. At some point the hookers started servicing their Johns in the park and druggies started making their deals and leaving their paraphernalia lying around.

The round park in Turffontein is also a dump now. I remember as a kid we used to walk theer from my Primary School and learn about road rules. They had a little city painted on the floor and we'd learn to look left and look right and which side of the road cars should be on. All that stuff. Total sh*thole now.

Anything nice in SA today that is freely available to the public will just be destroyed.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Wonder how the other ones are doing.

The facility in Seawinds near Lavender Hill is the City’s sixth smart park, following similar ventures in Atlantis, Nomzamo, Delft, Khayelitsha and Gugulethu.

DA

Lupus

Honorary Master
I also grew up in the South of Jo'burg and still live there.

I remember the park, public pool and public toilets in Rosettenville.

First they had to fill the swimming pool because people started bathing and doing their washing in it. Then they sealed the toilets because one can only imagine the state of them. Then they started stealing/vandalising the rides. At some point the hookers started servicing their Johns in the park and druggies started making their deals and leaving their paraphernalia lying around.

The round park in Turffontein is also a dump now. I remember as a kid we used to walk their from my Primary School and learn about road rules. They had a little city painted on the floor and we'd learn to look left and look right and which side of the road cars should be on. All that stuff. Total sh*thole now.

Anything nice in SA today that is freely available to the public will just be destroyed.
Don't forget Santarama miniland, there are still lots of "parks" in that area and they are all pretty much gone to pieces, I'm not sure how Southern Suburbs sports club swimming pools are anymore, but spent a lot of lazy days there even right through the 90s.
I still remember the park across from Forest High with the massive slide and the pool next to it, my dad stayed in the flats just down from there across the bowling club. Walk there on a Sunday afternoon before the disney hour at 5 and there wasn't an issue.

konfab

Honorary Master
Pools are basically holes to throw money into.