This is all that's left of a R7m 'smart park' in Cape Town's gangland

Ninja'd

A Djinn
First they had to fill the swimming pool because people started bathing and doing their washing in it.
Excuse me, what? I thought I had seen every type of kommin behavior at our pool but never this. Did they take Sunlight soap along as well?

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
DA corruption. Money was stolen here. Much like the way the ANC does it. All that s**t could have been done for less than R100k.

This is South Africa. You simply do not do things like this. You do not spend a single cent on anything.

Once a political party decides to put money into anything you can kiss your money good-bye.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Don't forget Santarama miniland, there are still lots of "parks" in that area and they are all pretty much gone to pieces, I'm not sure how Southern Suburbs sports club swimming pools are anymore, but spent a lot of lazy days there even right through the 90s.
I still remember the park across from Forest High with the massive slide and the pool next to it, my dad stayed in the flats just down from there across the bowling club. Walk there on a Sunday afternoon before the disney hour at 5 and there wasn't an issue.
George Mann Street in Towerby? If so, my dad lived on that same street. My gran still owns the house.

I know which pool and park you are talking about as well. I myself went there a few times. My preschool was just down the road and we'd sometimes go play there. The park is in a sorry state as well now. Pool looks like it is still open in summer but no idea what it looks like.

Lupus

Honorary Master
George Mann Street in Towerby? If so, my dad lived on that same street. My gran still owns the house.

I know which pool and park you are talking about as well. I myself went there a few times. My preschool was just down the road and we'd sometimes go play there. The park is in a sorry state as well now. Pool looks like it is still open in summer but no idea what it looks like.
Yeah the block of flats right on the corner, right across from the bowling clubs parking lot. It is in a sorry state, in fact a lot of the South really is. My wifes mom has a house in Kenilworth, been living there for 20+ years and just seen it go down and down and down. The house has been on the market for almost a decade and not even a bite.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Yeah the block of flats right on the corner, right across from the bowling clubs parking lot. It is in a sorry state, in fact a lot of the South really is. My wifes mom has a house in Kenilworth, been living there for 20+ years and just seen it go down and down and down. The house has been on the market for almost a decade and not even a bite.
I know exactly which flats you are talking about then. Small world.

Yeah, the Old South is buggered. Oakdene, Linmeyer and Glenanda North are probably the last decent suburbs north of the N12. Pockets here and there but for the most part its gone. I grew up in Turffontein and then moved in to a house opposite The Glen Shopping Centre (watched them build it). Live across the highway now.

I can believe they've struggled to sell, just not worth moving in to those areas now.

Last edited:

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
I also grew up in the South of Jo'burg and still live there.

I remember the park, public pool and public toilets in Rosettenville.

First they had to fill the swimming pool because people started bathing and doing their washing in it. Then they sealed the toilets because one can only imagine the state of them. Then they started stealing/vandalising the rides. At some point the hookers started servicing their Johns in the park and druggies started making their deals and leaving their paraphernalia lying around.

The round park in Turffontein is also a dump now. I remember as a kid we used to walk theer from my Primary School and learn about road rules. They had a little city painted on the floor and we'd learn to look left and look right and which side of the road cars should be on. All that stuff. Total sh*thole now.

Anything nice in SA today that is freely available to the public will just be destroyed.
Yes. And we can blame van Riebeeck!! ;)

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Badroodien said the community services department was seeking “long-term solutions to abate this reprehensible behaviour”.
How about arresting the vandals?

The Free Radical

Why should I keep paying exorbitant rates in this city when its perpetually wasted on 'upliftment' projects like this in communities who don't appreciate them at all. Every day some public benefit infrastructure is reduced to rubble, whether is a library, community hall, park, bus stop etc.

Meanwhile elsewhere in the city the infrastructure and amenities are crumbling for lack of maintenance because maintenance money is constantly prioritized and shifted to rebuild all this destroyed stuff.

Why are those communities not taking ownership of their community parks and removing the vandals themselves?

It's time to leave this Godforsaken place and move to a civilized country.
I'm not going to continue to have my income from my hard labour stripped out of my wallet in rates and taxes to feed, house and entertain those who won't help themselves, and get ZILCH in return.

fekkthissh1t!

Last edited:

Eniigma

Expert Member
It should then be the same in all areas.
Total furore if you find a park with swings and nice things in Newlands, and none of that in Mitchell's Plain and the Cape Flats.
I disagree. Time to stop pretending everyone is the same and deserves the same treatment.

If you want to treat what you've been given like **** and tear it down and loot it, then you get a slab of concrete.

If you're look after it and treat it well, then you get an upgrade.

And when the inevitable tears and drama about inequality start then tough actions have consequences.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I know exactly which flats you are talking about then. Small world.

Yeah, the Old South is buggered. Oakdene, Linmeyer and Glenanda North are probably the last decent suburbs north of the N12. Pockets here and there but for the most part its gone. I grew up in Turffontein and then moved in to a house opposite The Glen Shopping Centre (watched them build it). Live across the highway now.

I can believe they've struggled to sell, just not worth moving in to those areas now.
I lived on Satara Road Oakdene when they were building the Glen. Used to ride my bicycle between the equipment after the work day.
Yeah I was in the South till I was ten, moved with my dad to the North in 1992.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
drug dealers lost out here.

a play area that gathers all the kiddies around to make it easier for the dealers to save time handing out their "candy". feel sorry for the Cape Gangsters.
It was most likely the drug users that pillaged the park in order to feed their drug habit.

The problem is the City will get even MORE flack for NOT developing in those areas.

Indeed, but the City will get even MORE flack for NOT developing in those areas...
I understand the reason behind building the park, but to spend 7.5 million on a park in that area doesn't make sense to me. How did they not notice that the park was slowly being dismantled and why were no measures put in place to stop the theft.

Last edited:

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
How did they even get to build a park there without serious safety concerns?

A friend of mine was a policeman in that area a few years ago. Whenever he got a call out to those 5 million flats, he used to walk around with 1 up. He said 15 year old laaities will fscking shoot you just because you're a policeman.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I lived on Satara Road Oakdene when they were building the Glen. Used to ride my bicycle between the equipment after the work day.
Yeah I was in the South till I was ten, moved with my dad to the North in 1992.
That's the same suburb we moved to. We stayed on Letaba Road, right at the bottom (where the Jeep dealership is now, that was once our house). We were there from 1990 - 2002. I remember the veld before The Glen was built. Spent hours riding around there before they started construction and then we used to ride through The Glen while they were building it. Had to stop when security started chasing us away,

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
That's the same suburb we moved to. We stayed on Letaba Road, right at the bottom (where the Jeep dealership is now, that was once our house). We were there from 1990 - 2002. I remember the veld before The Glen was built. Spent hours riding around there before they started construction and then we used to ride through The Glen while they were building it. Had to stop when security started chasing us away,
Do you remember the Guinea fowl who used to run around the area? Man that was weird riding my bicycle around and a flock of them would come running out, especially up by where Comaro crossing is now, I saw they completely knocked the O'hagans down and just made it a parking lot, I spent a good portion of time there in the early 2000s.

access

Executive Member
would any people here go up to a group(gang) of "laaities" hanging out at the play ground being a nuisance.

or call the cops on them ever time knowing they have tjommies in blue. how fast do cops even respond to playground antics in that area.