This is all that's left of a R7m 'smart park' in Cape Town's gangland

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
We stay in a decent enough area, only we can't utilize our park unless there is a park run and you have +/-1000 other people there.

O, and **** the councillor that signed of on having this bullshit in a park within a residential space. Really enjoyed the DJ shouting at 01:30AM - "how are you doing joburg" and having it sound like it's ****ing next door.

Zophos

We stay in a decent enough area, only we can't utilize our park unless there is a park run and you have +/-1000 other people there.

O, and **** the councillor that signed of on having this bullshit in a park within a residential space. Really enjoyed the DJ shouting at 01:30AM - "how are you doing joburg" and having it sound like it's ****ing next door.
Oh I feel your pain!! I am close to Boskruin Vet. I would REALLY like to meet the councilor in person...

John Tempus

Expert Member
R7.5million were paid towards the planning and labor. R100k on the construction material.

Just ballparking but I might be underestimating the labor total. :p

porchrat

Honorary Master
would any people here go up to a group(gang) of "laaities" hanging out at the play ground being a nuisance.

or call the cops on them ever time knowing they have tjommies in blue. how fast do cops even respond to playground antics in that area.
Yea you're right.

There is absolutely 100% no way to solve the problem.

We should just stop wasting money by trying to develop these communities. They're beyond help at this point. Well said, I'm glad you agree.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Yea you're right.

We should just stop wasting money by trying to develop these communities. They're beyond help at this point. Well said, I'm glad you agree.
I think whatever money is spend on these communities need to first establish law and order in the mindsets of vandals who keep doing things like this. Use the budget for nice things to employ proper policing in the area for a few years so that the average hooligan will start to refrain from destroying things. Once the crime rate drop then introduce nice things.

It is pure madness to add new things in areas that have an increase crime rate. It must be some form of child neglect to even take your children to such badly situated parks where a shootout could happen at any time under current conditions.

access

Executive Member
Yea you're right.

seems a bit over the top doesnt it?

why not spend on something constructive, like the police/security in the area, or things that will lead to them having nice things again.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Interesting how no one is pointing out that they tried to create a place for the kiddies to play.
Not sure if this one also had but the other parks have (had) outdoor gyms ect.
Their intensions were good IMO. But, the cards were stacked against them.

porchrat

Honorary Master
seems a bit over the top doesnt it?

why not spend on something constructive, like the police/security in the area, or things that will lead to them having nice things again.
I was deliberately taking it to an extreme to point out that your point about the police being in cahoots with the gangs, and the community being unwilling to come forward to help the police with apprehending criminals, is all part of the same problem. That problem is that the community is unwilling to meet the police halfway.

Just as the community knows who did this to the park, they also know who the dirty cops are.

Under those circumstances why should any further money be invested? It's just good money after bad.

access

Executive Member
I was deliberately taking it to an extreme to point out that your point about the police being in cahoots with the gangs, and the community being unwilling to come forward to help the police with apprehending criminals, is all part of the same problem. That problem is that the community is unwilling to meet the police halfway.

Just as the community knows who did this to the park, they also know who the dirty cops are.

Under those circumstances why should any further money be invested? It's just good money after bad.
i was alluding to them being in fear tbh.

i dont think a tough **** approach will solve this, but simply throwing more money at it will also not work you are right.

sparticus

Expert Member
The community knows who did this. Nobody comes forward. If they aren't prepared to meet the city halfway they cannot expect to receive more investment into their community.

It's just money down the toilet.
Must admit, thats also true