This is how great the new Smart ID online application is

I completed the process yesterday by visiting a bank branch in Centurion - very pleasant and seamless I must say. Well done to Home Affairs. Now I must apply for my passport - I am expecting the same kind of experience

I don't understand why you have to wait 30 minutes just for a simple collection though?

I have yet to hear success stories/benefits of this technology, like for e.g. how many illigally obtained ID's or people with illigal ID's did they catch, if any? The must be some benefit other than it's small and fits in your wallet! They already said they're not going to integrate it with the banking systems for security reasons. So what are the tangible benefits of this? Or put differently, are there reports where they realised the purported benefits?

I have yet to hear success stories/benefits of this technology, like for e.g. how many illigally obtained ID's or people with illigal ID's did they catch, if any? The must be some benefit other than it's small and fits in your wallet! They already said they're not going to integrate it with the banking systems for security reasons. So what are the tangible benefits of this? Or put differently, are there reports where they realised the purported benefits?

The green ID book is a pathetic excuse for a document. Do you know how easy it is to take the photo out and slip a new one in? I've heard plenty of horror stories of people losing their ID books or having them stolen and then finding out later that someone has replaced the photo with another one and then opened a whole string of bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I'd take the card any day.

Is it just me or would a link to the damn page be handy in the article

That doesn't sound right - even the application process was shorter than that...

I think this must have been addressed before... but the choice of bank branch has nothing to do with whether or not you bank with them?

I think this must have been addressed before... but the choice of bank branch has nothing to do with whether or not you bank with them?

Yeah. You can choose any bank. I went with Standard Bank - because they happened to be closest... and I bank with them :)

I needed to replace my ID since my green book is in pieces, so I did my application online, and that part of the process was easy, and worked really well, I made an appointment for capturing Bio metrics at a NedBank Branch in Rivonia, and this is where things went a little bit downhill. The address listed for the branch was incorrect, since there are two branches fairly close together, so i eventually managed to get to the correct branch. Once i managed to get to the right place, the people at the branch seemed to be poorly trained on the systems.

I had my booking form with me, but they tried to create a new application, at which the system would not allow this to happen since there was "Already an application in progress" i had to insist that i was no there for a new application but simply bio metrics, eventually pointing to the correct menu where they eventually found my application to carry on with. Since my application was a replacement, i had uploaded all required documents, and been instructed only to bring my booking form on the website. since i did not have these uploaded documents with me, I was informed that i was lucky and they were "Doing me a favor" by processing my application. i wondered why have the option to upload the documents at all, and second why i was not instructed i still had to bring them with.

actually capturing the bio metrics went well, if a little slow, the gent operating the process was also unfamiliar with he process/system, and repeatedly had to call for assistance.

If there had not been "Operator delays" in my process, i could have been in and out in 10 minutes, but ended up taking around 40 min. the process itself seems good, but i think there is a lot of work to be done to make sure the feet on the ground are sufficiently skilled.

despite all the hicups along the way, it was still quicker than standing in line at Home Affairs though

I needed to replace my ID since my green book is in pieces, so I did my application online, and that part of the process was easy, and worked really well, I made an appointment for capturing Bio metrics at a NedBank Branch in Rivonia, and this is where things went a little bit downhill. The address listed for the branch was incorrect, since there are two branches fairly close together, so i eventually managed to get to the correct branch. Once i managed to get to the right place, the people at the branch seemed to be poorly trained on the systems.

I had my booking form with me, but they tried to create a new application, at which the system would not allow this to happen since there was "Already an application in progress" i had to insist that i was no there for a new application but simply bio metrics, eventually pointing to the correct menu where they eventually found my application to carry on with. Since my application was a replacement, i had uploaded all required documents, and been instructed only to bring my booking form on the website. since i did not have these uploaded documents with me, I was informed that i was lucky and they were "Doing me a favor" by processing my application. i wondered why have the option to upload the documents at all, and second why i was not instructed i still had to bring them with.

actually capturing the bio metrics went well, if a little slow, the gent operating the process was also unfamiliar with he process/system, and repeatedly had to call for assistance.

If there had not been "Operator delays" in my process, i could have been in and out in 10 minutes, but ended up taking around 40 min. the process itself seems good, but i think there is a lot of work to be done to make sure the feet on the ground are sufficiently skilled.

despite all the hicups along the way, it was still quicker than standing in line at Home Affairs though

I'm curious, why did you need to provide any supporting documents? When I applied all I needed was my old ID book, no need to provide or upload any supporting documents.

I went to the same branch as Jan, from the people in the photo. I didn't get the free internet and coffee though.

But my first visit took 5 minutes and my second one also about 5 minutes. Maybe I was there too briefly to get coffee.

Last edited:
I'm curious, why did you need to provide any supporting documents? When I applied all I needed was my old ID book, no need to provide or upload any supporting documents.

Apologies ... more specifically The new puppy got hold of mine and some other papers, so i did not have any ID to speak of, i should have said teeny tiny little pieces, I had to get an affidavit like if i had "lost" it because of this

I just got 2 smses today telling me my ID card and passport are ready for collection after applying last week Monday at Standard Bank Canal Walk. Very impressed. A week to turn around an ID and passport! Who would have thought.

Back