This is how much it will cost to beat load-shedding using solar panels

Tander

Executive Member

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Another option is a petrol or diesel generator which can range from around R1,500 to several thousand rand.
Yeah, that's the route I've gone. My newly acquired 2600w generator is enough to get us through fairly substantial bouts of load shedding since we also have a gas stove.

In fact the day I bought it Eskom stopped loadshedding, so you're welcome. :)

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yeah, some are much lower.

That's why with these small inverters, you need to plan the system properly. Very, very limited. Can run the house during the day though; just have to have heavy loads off the inverter - like a kettle. Which you can use gas for.
My irritation is that they are always slightly less than the 5kVA, I would spend the ~R3k extra and get a bigger inverter with more capabilities.

Napalm

Expert Member
They also left out the al-cheapo options.

My one buddy managed to get an old 1200VA ups from someone on gumtree, it was broken due to battery being flat. Its just + and - that connects to a 7amp or 8amp battery. Sometimes theres 2 of them if its 2000va. But its just 12V.

He bought an 100ah car battery lead acid. used thick power leads to connect internal ups leads to the car bat.

So sure it will take longer to charge cause those smaller ups propably has a 4amp some have 6amp charger in it, so recharging the 100ah will propably take 4 to 6hours.

Proper ups has 10amp and 20amp charge for quickcharge

But then again, his pc and screen only uses like 120watts or so. So technically he's not using even 30% of the battery over a 2.5hour loadshedding.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
They also left out the al-cheapo options.

My one buddy managed to get an old 1200VA ups from someone on gumtree, it was broken due to battery being flat. Its just + and - that connects to a 7amp or 8amp battery. Sometimes theres 2 of them if its 2000va. But its just 12V.

He bought an 100ah car battery lead acid. used thick power leads to connect internal ups leads to the car bat.

So sure it will take longer to charge cause those smaller ups propably has a 4amp some have 6amp charger in it, so recharging the 100ah will propably take 4 to 6hours.

Proper ups has 10amp and 20amp charge for quickcharge

But then again, his pc and screen only uses like 120watts or so. So technically he's not using even 30% of the battery over a 2.5hour loadshedding.
We have very different ideas of what constitutes beating load-shedding.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
To some, running a single lamp and their router; constitutes as "beating load-shedding"
I can do that with a few 12v alarm batteries - in fact I did. It was less than ideal, especially with a family. The generator we got is a little noisier than that but it's worth it since it will run everything but the geyser and oven.

chrisc

Executive Member
Got a friend fixed up with a Mecer 1200VA inverter and 2 x 105 a/h batteries from Johan Voges in Brackenfell

On the first test 5 days after the unit was commissioned, the power lasted under one minute from the batteries. JV was completely unhelpful, suggested that we did not know what we were doing, claimed not to know what we had purchased and washed his hands of it

After some diagnosing, it was discovered that one (Deltech) battery dropped from 13 VDC to 8 VDC in less than a minute

Again, JV not interested

Took the batteries back to Deltech in Paarden Eiland. They tested them (20 mins) and swapped it out

Subsequent test got over 2 hours and batteries still at 85% SOC