This is how much money the average taxi operator makes in South Africa

Polly101

Expert Member
they should start taxing them over and above the petrol tax and tolls

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Tito my friend... There is the majority of your saa bailout money... 1.75 billion in unclaimed taxes.

signates

Executive Member
R25k a month is what they are saying
the truth is probably double as it is all cash
/spit
Agreed

I was a taxi driver for 6 months about 10 years ago on the Bellville - Cape Town route and had a daily cash target of R950 to give to the taxi owner, Monday to Friday, with Saturday fares being the drivers.

I'm sure the daily target is a lot higher on that route now. Many taxi owners had more than one taxi on the route. All cash and not declared to SARS. The owner I drove for had 5 taxis on that route taking home close to R100k every month.

Mogo

Agreed

I was a taxi driver for 6 months about 10 years ago on the Bellville - Cape Town route and had a daily cash target of R950 to give to the taxi owner, Monday to Friday, with Saturday fares being the drivers.

I'm sure the daily target is a lot higher on that route now. Many taxi owners had more than one taxi on the route. All cash and not declared to SARS. The owner I drove for had 5 taxis on that route taking home close to R100k every month.
Was maintenance of the taxi up to the owner or did you "have to make a plan" if something broke?

signates

Executive Member
Was maintenance of the taxi up to the owner or did you "have to make a plan" if something broke?
Only thing the driver covered was fuel, oil and fines related to driving and not vehicle defect fines even though these would still be issued to the driver. If you wanted to make your van nice, this was up to each driver to cover. Things like a big sound system, decals, window tinting, etc. Sound systems drivers would take with them if they moved to a different owner.

Maintenance was covered by the owner provided the driver could prove he was not the cause of the fault. Things like brakes, lights, gearbox, etc.

Mogo

Only thing the driver covered was fuel, oil and fines related to driving and not vehicle defect fines even though these would still be issued to the driver. If you wanted to make your van nice, this was up to each driver to cover. Things like a big sound system, decals, window tinting, etc. Sound systems drivers would take with them if they moved to a different owner.

Maintenance was covered by the owner provided the driver could prove he was not the cause of the fault. Things like brakes, lights, gearbox, etc.
Thanks for the insight

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master

i see some taxis offering free wifi hotspots
this is an awesome thing and will attract customers :thumbsup:

signates

Executive Member
Thanks for the insight
Was not the best experience. You become a different person when you get behind the wheel of a taxi. People have a preconceived ideas of the person behind the wheel thinking that you must be some gangster from the cape flats. Even the police, up to the point where they practically closed Bellville taxi rank looking for me as I had recorded them beating up a mentally ill homeless man in one of the back rooms of the the police station and I leaked the video to the media and reported them and was even interviewed by etv at the time.