• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

This is how much the average worker gets paid at SARS

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
According to SARS’ annual report, its average employee earned a salary of R487,270, with top management earning R3.7 million.
So as an average that is actually quite decent I think... way more realistic than the R700k+ at places like Eskom.

skimread

Executive Member
They have 693 IT staff earning an average of R716K per year .If I worked at SARS I would have created designs or proof of concepts years ago for HTML5 on desktop and mobile of the existing adobe tax submission forms and show it to management. I think most programmers would naturally have done this even in their free time. For SARS to now come up with a R1 billion figure to get external parties to do the systems for them is absurd. Internal employees working on the systems for years would know the workflow and pain points already. It's really a bad reflection on those employees never put their hand up volunteering to create proof of concepts, if business analysts never though of have new designs for a perfect system that solves pain points. I just think that is lazy. Now tax payers have to pay am extra R1 billion rand and R3billion over 5 years.
If the backend is so badly written it has to be redone from scratch then I don't know how these guys can justify earning R716K per year on average. on average I would think they earn more than 98% of people on the forum

Last edited:

LaraC

Honorary Master
When you earn a salary of R3.7 million you must be exceptional at your job. How did they allow the e-filing system to go into crisis mode?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
They have 693 IT staff earning an average of R716K per year .If I worked at SARS I would have created designs or proof of concepts years ago for HTML5 on desktop and mobile of the existing adobe tax submission forms and show it to management. I think most programmers would naturally have done this even in their free time. For SARS to now come up with a R1 billion figure to get external parties to do the systems for them is absurd. Internal employees working on the systems for years would know the workflow and pain points already. It's really a bad reflection on those employees never put their hand up volunteering to create proof of concepts, if business analysts never though of have new designs for a perfect system that solves pain points. I just think that is lazy. Now tax payers have to pay am extra R1 billion rand and R3billion over 5 years.
If the backend is so badly written it has to be redone from scratch then I don't know how these guys can justify earning R716K per year on average. on average I would think they earn more than 98% of people on the forum
Probably the same thing happens as in other departments, you get hired to fill positions with all your work outsourced to other tenderpreneurs.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
I've worked for companies with the same mentality as SARS. You can come with all the ideas, graphs, drawings and new concepts in the world. It becomes very discouraging when you are shot down, or told repeatedly that the current system is "OK and doesn't need change or refresh"

skimread

Executive Member
I've worked for companies with the same mentality as SARS. You can come with all the ideas, graphs, drawings and new concepts in the world. It becomes very discouraging when you are shot down, or told repeatedly that the current system is "OK and doesn't need change or refresh"
But with SARS they knew years ago they would reach a time (D-day) when they are forced to update to the latest standards so an IT dev would build something when they have free time, knowing the day WILL come and when the **** hits the fan like the Nugent inquiry you can be a hero. If I look at how much I earn and all the free time I spend investigating and learning about new tech, I feel shocked that I as a tax payer pay so much for these IT staff who at the 11th hour are suddenly wanting to create a new system from scratch when in fact they had years and years to plan for this.

Any half decent dev with a smartphone in SARS would surely think to themself. I will create a system that I can do my tax on my smartphone. You don't need permission from your manager to do something yourself. All companies especially the size of SARS have a test server.

Instead you have the head of IT admitting she done f'all for 1.5 years and she blames others. See video below
She basically says she has ideas in her head for modernization but never acted on it or shared it. I am sure the devs in SARS are using the same excuse of it is in their heads but they never acted on it.

A big part of any half decent developer is to take initiative and learn by themself as IT changes all the time and you have to learn by yourself if you want to keep staying a developer. That average salary is shocking for people to now say they don't have enough time . I am sorry. If you earned that the past 5 years did you basically sit on and do facebook all day or do reports or SQL queries. Those tasks do not justify that high a salary.