This is how much you will have to pay to get rid of Eskom and go off-grid

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is how much you will have to pay to get rid of Eskom and go off-grid

Load-shedding has once again become a daily reality in South Africa, and experts predict that South Africans should brace for many more years of rotational blackouts in the country.

The CSIR recently published a presentation which said South Africans should expect load-shedding to get significantly worse over the next three years.

Energy expert Ted Blom agreed with the CSIR's findings and added that his own projections extend to load-shedding for at least the next five years after Eskom signed on the opening of new coal mines to feed its current coal fleet.

signates

Executive Member
Ja, no. My setup which is basically their first scenario is nowhere close to R350k.

8.5 kw solar array
8 kw inverter
9.5 kWh battery bank
Installation
Total = R200k

2 more batteries will give me their 15 kWh for an additional R45k so make it a round R250k for their R350k system.

My system will generate ±35kWh in winter and ±45kWh in summer per day.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Oh yes, the half-yearly off the grid article. Based on the last few articles, I’m gonna guess the cost is about R250K without reading the article.

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
350k?! Heh. I just did my factory which is 55kW of panels and inverter - no batteries tho and it was about 500k. I understand batteries are probably the most expensive element but I think 350k is a bit excessive. Ideally you want to be able to recover the cost of the installation in about 4 years - not 20.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
No mention of the fact that most municipalities will not allow you to cancel your electricity account. At best you will still have to pay the monthly "service fee", good luck trying to cancel that.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Ja, no. My setup which is basically their first scenario is nowhere close to R350k.

8.5 kw solar array
8 kw inverter
9.5 kWh battery bank
Installation
Total = R200k

2 more batteries will give me their 15 kWh for an additional R45k so make it a round R250k for their R350k system.

What, no Tesla(TM) power wall? :laugh:
What batteries do you have BTW?

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
No mention of the fact that most municipalities will not allow you to cancel your electricity account. At best you will still have to pay the monthly "service fee", good luck trying to cancel that.
I'd keep prepaid if it is available.

Glipsie

8.5 kw solar array
8 kw inverter
9.5 kWh battery bank
Installation
Total = R200k

Prices have got up quite a bit recently. e.g. Pylons will set you back R20k for 3.5kw. Guess corona + load shedding:

Does 9.6kw take you completely off grid? 11.2 is not enough for my household, I would need to double it and drain the batteries overnight (electric oven/stoves are killer)

signates

Executive Member
Prices have got up quite a bit recently. e.g. Pylons will set you back R20k for 3.5kw. Guess corona + load shedding:

Does 9.6kw take you completely off grid? 11.2 is not enough for my household, I would need to double it and drain the batteries overnight (electric oven/stoves are killer)
This was a recent install. Less than a month ago so current prices.

Can't go off grid as I need more batteries to take me through the night. Plan is to have 8 x 3.5kWh pylontech batteries eventually.

Have gas oven and hob so it does help. First thing I would recommend is take cooking to gas.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master

The article is 100% right about an audit. Replace the stove with Gas, get a solar heater/ heat pump and go LED throughout for lighting... Even a separate 12v circuit if you like.