This is how young South Africans got vaccinated without jumping queues

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I am much more concerned by the seeming failure of the system to show who is registered or not. There is no way to verify anyone's registration.
Getting the SMS appears to mean nothing because, immediately after that SMS is received, it is possible to register again using the same details and get a second SMS with a new ref number.

There does not appear to be any cross-reference built-in checking age. Surely this is as easy as a quick check of the person's ID number?

What happens with duplicate registration? how are these eliminated out of the system? It should be impossible for this to happen yet it is.

Vegeta

Executive Member
I am much more concerned by the seeming failure of the system to show who is registered or not. There is no way to verify anyone's registration.
Getting the SMS appears to mean nothing because, immediately after that SMS is received, it is possible to register again using the same details and get a second SMS with a new ref number.
Experienced the same, it's elementary stuff. I don't understand it. I was also able to register before the portal officially opened and then again when it opened with what appeared to be different results and different prompts

calvin-

<snip>
There is no reference number on the registration confirmation SMS.

calvin-

They actually encourage you to "re-register" if your details change.

Like if you move, for example.

Muttley

Expert Member
I don't for 1 second believe that "queue jumpers" took away vaccines from anyone...
My view is that the "queue jumpers" are the ones who should be prioritised by govt as in all likelihood, they're the ones paying taxes - something our corrupt bunch need, so the longer the "queue jumpers" are alive, the better for corrupt CancER

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

There does not appear to be any cross-reference built-in checking age. Surely this is as easy as a quick check of the person's ID number?

What happens with duplicate registration? how are these eliminated out of the system? It should be impossible for this to happen yet it is.

This is the SMS they send to you when they schedule you,

Hi, <name> <middle name> <surname>

You have been scheduled for vaccination on <dd> <month> between <hh> PM and <hh> OM at <vaccination centre>. Please bring your vaccine code <###-#-########> and your ID / passport to the vaccination site. If you are a member of medical aid, you must bring your medical aid card. Please call the COVID-10 Hotline on <telephone number> with queries.

and the confirmation of vaccination SMS,

Dear <name> <middle name> <surname>, you received your vaccine on <yyyy-mm-dd> at <vaccination centre>. Your Proof of Vaccination Code is <############>. Please keep this code in a safe place, should you be required to verify your vaccination status.

they should be able to cross-reference you ID, if they are doing actual cross-checks. Sure your vaccination code is captured and referenced against your ID and other applicable details as per the form you submit at the vaccination centre.

Their control is bad practised.

Currantly

Expert Member

Looks like South Africa’s vaccine queue jumpers will get away with it​

Some South Africans have jumped the queue to get their first dose of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine well before they were due, under a system that prioritised first healthcare workers, then people over the age of 60.

And it looks like they are going to get away with it.

Some of the queue-jumpers lied, saying they were healthcare workers with potential front-line exposure to the coronavirus. Some exploited loopholes in the sprawling Electronic Vaccination Data System (EVDS), bypassing an ID-number check supposed to ensure those registering are at least 60 years old.

Linky

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Well is it illegal to do something a glitchy POS system allows you to do? I don't think so.

Flippy

Exactly

Our awful media shaming people for getting the vaccine instead of blaming the disastrous vaccine rollout on the anc is ridiculous.

Anthro

Expert Member
Nevermind being able to register / bypass said limitations.
No one here suggests utter failure on the part of the medical personnel administering said injection to a VERY youthful looking 60 year old ?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The point missed ius that the system is just another monumental technical failure.
It can't even prevent duplicate registrations taking place. It can't even provide an easy way to check registrations or update information.
And his arguments about not being able to check is rubbish.
ASSUMING (and that is already a stretch) that the system IS logging everyone who has received a jab including the type date time and location, then it would be an easy matter to create a report of all those under the age of 60 who have received a jab.

So he is lying it would be possible to find the cheats.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The question we should be asking is not that, BUT, we should be questioning the entire stupid logic of making a relatively simple process so damn complicated in the first place.

The govt roll out strategy choice is where the real debate lies.
After all, the goal is to vaccinate everyone, who cares about the sequence.
Just get on with the job and be done with it.

Botha22

Nevermind being able to register / bypass said limitations.
No one here suggests utter failure on the part of the medical personnel administering said injection to a VERY youthful looking 60 year old ?
The assumption would be that he /she / them is a health worker.

calvin-

J
The point missed ius that the system is just another monumental technical failure.
It can't even prevent duplicate registrations taking place.<snip>
Umm, registrations are "unique" by id. You're not going to get two vaccination appointments.
Registering "again" is exactly how they're telling people to update details.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
J

Umm, registrations are "unique" by id. You're not going to get two vaccination appointments.
Registering "again" is exactly how they're telling people to update details.
Pathetic!
And what about the privacy laws? Surely it would be simple enough to also pwd protect the data?
Offers a register or log in option?
Detect that a person is registered and switch to update details?
No, you can offer up silly reasons as much as you like, the system stinks of short cuts poor programming and downright incompetence.

krycor

Honorary Master

They were required to produce their medical association id (medicine council? Anyway.. when it expanded the health care worker definition they required to bring authorization from employer etc so hospital) initially which weeded out the queue jumpers.

Wrt why they using the system.. numerous reasons from distribution vs demand modeling to supply constraints, equipment constraint vs cost and vaccine characteristics(this was huge concern prior to FDA saying Pfizer stable for 30d at vaccine temp).

I think the big mess up right now is the J&J batches received from the US which is sitting in limbo at Aspen. I’m wondering what the remedial action will be if the manufacturing plant screw up means the batch needs to be tossed(yah.. even the US screws up). That was meant to make up majority of shots and even with the 60+ age bracket with limited distribution sites.. they running out fast and it’s only gonna get worse as 3rd wave cause hype.

krycor

Honorary Master

Remember I asked about this as the news vid feed on sites showed very young people whom don’t look like medical professionals sometimes