This is the new calendar for schools in South Africa – including the planned start dates for all grades

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Wonder what the smoking and booze rules are for the grade 12s?

Was banned back in my day .......:(

JurgensBeMe

I'm sorry but this comment does say not say I have any choice, I'm forced to do this and the some 'head' will decide what happens. We may have very different definition of what a choice is.

A parent who chooses not to send a learner to school must apply to the head of department, who, in terms of section 4 of the South African Schools Act, may exempt a learner entirely, partially or conditionally from compulsory school attendance, if it is in the best interests of the learner.
'heads of department' does not make this choice, I do. What money has the 'head of department' given to the raising of my children so as to make his opinion more important than mine? Most education officials are not even teachers.

The government wants me to raise my children while they raise them as well. Either my kids are mine or they are the state's. It is an either-or proposition.

A right can be taken away, you can loose it, but the government cannot give its citizens rights and then impose condition on them. if i have a right to something i cannot have arbitrary condition for that right to exist. Rights are binary, you either have them or you don't.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I'm sorry but this comment does say not say I have any choice, I'm forced to do this and the some 'head' will decide what happens. We may have very different definition of what a choice is.

'heads of department' does not make this choice, I do. What money has the 'head of department' given to the raising of my children so as to make his opinion more important than mine? Most education officials are not even teachers.

The government wants me to raise my children while they raise them as well. Either my kids are mine or they are the state's. It is an either-or proposition
Isn't this the alternative?

A parent who chooses not to send a learner to school is obliged to apply for home education in terms of the relevant section of the South African Schools Act.
What is it what you want? You don't like the choice then don't be obliged to participate should it be within your child's best interests - it isn't rocket science.

JurgensBeMe

it is a faux choice. You either do as the government tells you or you don't and then the 'head' decides what will happen. So in essence it is the government or the head's choice not mine.

Who's head is on the chopping block if something happens to my child. i'm certain no government official is going to take any responsibility for anything. So I'm laden with all the duties of a parent, but ultimately the government has more rights than i do to decide what happens.

I can tell you now if some government official wants to take my child and go raise him, himself, he can with all honesty make the choice for me. I'll tell the head the same thing.

It is in essence the either-or fallacy. It shows as it gives you a choice, but ultimately you are chosing between two alternatives the government has chosen for you.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
it is a faux choice. You either do as the government tells you or you don't and then the 'head' decides what will happen. So in essence it is the government or the head's choice not mine.

Who's head is on the chopping block if something happens to my child. i'm certain no government official is going to take any responsibility for anything. So I'm laden with all the duties of a parent, but ultimately the government has more rights than i do to decide what happens.

I can tell you now if some government official wants to take my child and go raise him, himself, he can with all honesty make the choice for me. I'll tell the head the same thing.
The government isn't a children kidnapping syndicate, they are enabling a basic right (section 29). Why don't you make the choice to home school?

You don't want education to be reinstated now, or apply to be entirely exempted, it is also a choice. Many other parents want their children to be educated and this is a basic right enshrined within our constitution and those who oppose the reopening don't have the right to take that basic right away and when this is the attitude,

The founder of the One South Africa movement, former Democratic Alliance leader Mmusi Maimane, has announced plans to mount a legal challenge to the reopening of schools.

Asked whether OSA believed schools, which thought they were ready, had a right to invite pupils back, Moime said: "We have at least 24 000 schools. We cannot have half going back - and half not.

"Where is the equal education model?
We have to ensure that all schools are 'Covid-ready' before any learners return."
those advocates can go blow themselves. Not to take away, though the DA openly announced that they support the reopening they do have DA members who have openly opposed it on their social media channels.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There are messages doing the rounds that this is a faked Gazette as it is not on the usual government website although it is on the government printing works website.

The usual site is the actual Government Printing Works website, which is the custodian, where the Government Gazette is published.

The National Gazette No. 43372, 29 May 2020, Vol. 659 is published.

It is also available on the subscription-based Green Gazette website,

and it may be that it isn't published on the gov.za website at this time.

GAZETTE SERVICES

Please note that gazettes are also available as over-the-counter sales and copies of all gazettes are warehoused at the GPW's Publications Depot. Copies are also available at the GCIS Thusong Centres that have ICT connectivity. In addition, the GPW offers subscription services, and packages and distributes copies to subscribers.
This service is available to all three levels of government as well as the public

The GPW is the custodian of a host of government publications: tender bulletins, regulation gazettes, provincial gazettes (excluding the Free State and Western Cape), national gazettes and legal notices. Some are published weekly, other monthly. As publisher and editor of these official communication tools to the general public, the GPW is accountable for their content.
False, then the GPW must be held accountable. To be honest, the rumours do sound like the anti-schools opening crowd trying to cause doubt within the public domain.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

The government wants me to raise my children while they raise them as well. Either my kids are mine or they are the state's. It is an either-or proposition.

A right can be taken away, you can loose it, but the government cannot give its citizens rights and then impose condition on them. if i have a right to something i cannot have arbitrary condition for that right to exist. Rights are binary, you either have them or you don't.
Actually they can, its law of the land that you must send your kid to school or provide adequate homeschooling.

Speedster

Executive Member

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

noxibox

Honorary Master
Would have thought ECD's would start earlier, considering more people are returning to work.
Plus the importance of education at that age. The ANC government has been wanting to make it mandatory. Now suddenly it isn't that important.

Maimane also now have the SAHRC on his side, apparently, those who don't want their children to go to school have more rights than others. Many are in this support.
Maimane once again showing his true colours. I can't tell if he genuinely is as delusional as he appears or he's just playing these games for political points. Either way he's a menace just like Malema others of that ilk.

Private schools different? Daughters school has other dates for Grade R.
They can do whatever they want as long as they enforce the health and safety rules. They've never been beholden to the state's school holiday and term times.

You have the same choice you've always had - send your child to school or register for home schooling, so what are you complaining about?

Who's head is on the chopping block if something happens to my child.
Again the rules here have not changed.

So I'm laden with all the duties of a parent, but ultimately the government has more rights than i do to decide what happens.
Oh please.

It is in essence the either-or fallacy. It shows as it gives you a choice, but ultimately you are chosing between two alternatives the government has chosen for you.
You're complaining that the government requires you to educate your child instead of giving you the choice of locking them in a dungeon?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So any updates on the missing two grades?
No word on the two missing grades, but I believe I read somewhere that the two grades will be included in an updated regulation. Also, it is also now reported by the media that another postponement is incoming due to unions and school governing bodies pressuring the department to delay.

It seems that 'equal' education is now the utmost promotion in pushing back the dates. They want either everyone to go to school or nobody to go to school, and according to them the schools aren't ready. This isn't equal, this is people wanting their demands to be more equal than others.

Lupus

Honorary Master
No word on the two missing grades, but I believe I read somewhere that the two grades will be included in an updated regulation. Also, it is also now reported by the media that another postponement is incoming due to unions and school governing bodies pressuring the department to delay.

It seems that 'equal' education is now the utmost promotion in pushing back the dates. They want either everyone to go to school or nobody to go to school, and according to them the schools aren't ready. This isn't equal, this is people wanting their demands to be more equal than others.
It's fine I'm starting to look at homeschool now