This is what the SABC must do to get MultiChoice and Netflix to collect TV licence fees

Murmaider

How exactly are they going to co-ordinate this?

If the tv license fee is R265 and you have DSTV and Netflix, who is going to co-ordinate with each of them to only collect R132.50 each.
Or.. if you have paid your tv license already, DSTV and Netflix shouldn't bill you.

In order for DSTV or Netflix to collect this fee, they are both going to have to require entire departments with a lot of staff in order to do this, who is then footing the bill for this, or would it be like e-tolls where we are going to have to pay them for the collection of our money?

This seem like a giant chasm in their model.

Milano

Honorary Master

If the tv license fee is R265 and you have DSTV and Netflix, who is going to co-ordinate with each of them to only collect R132.50 each.
Or.. if you have paid your tv license already, DSTV and Netflix shouldn't bill you.

In order for DSTV or Netflix to collect this fee, they are both going to have to require entire departments with a lot of staff in order to do this, who is then footing the bill for this, or would it be like e-tolls where we are going to have to pay them for the collection of our money?

DStv will bill you. You will provide your license number as you already paid it to Netflix etc.

Murmaider

DStv will bill you. You will provide your license number as you already paid it to Netflix etc.

Ok, so the admin of this year on year will basically become the users problem?
I'm just thinking what happens in year 2, 3, 4 or if you cancel netflix, will dstv automatically know to start billing.

There is obviously going to be situations where people get billed from both and now have to try and get refunds.
Seems very messy.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

They have not got there yet ...

grok

Honorary Master
I knew there was some hidden advantage to giving up DSTV all those years ago.. Thank you SABC for proving me right.

ab-user

Expert Member
I divorced myself from SABC, DSTV (including watching sport.... erm quota shows), Netflix.
I might go sailing every once in a while, but adventures on the high seas add spice to life!

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
The SABC must get off their lazy asses and do their jobs and not expect someone else to do it for them.

lexis

Good luck in defining that "household". With people getting married, divorced, moving house, etc.