This is when, and how, humans will land on Mars

Viva

Expert Member
Not one word about SpaceX. Does SpaceX not have a real chance of beating NASA and putting a man on Mars first?

LaraC

Honorary Master
Is there any advances in communication technologies that is faster than radio or light?

etienne_marais

Executive Member
Is there any advances in communication technologies that is faster than radio or light?
Quantum entanglement has been successfully tested AFAIK but it entailed rooms full of equipment for practically no information.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Quantum entanglement has been successfully tested AFAIK but it entailed rooms full of equipment for practically no information.
Would Quantum entanglement work over large distances which is required for space travel?

LaraC

Honorary Master
In theory the distance is not relevant at all and information transfer is instant.
Thank you. :)

Instantaneous information transfer! Why aren't all communication companies investing in researching this technology? :p

XennoX

Expert Member
Somehow we need to violate the speed of causality (which so happens to be the speed of light). Only way I can see us doing that is using Einstein-Rosen bridges, but those are still theoretical.

Jings

Treasure Maker

Techne

Honorary Master
Somehow we need to violate the speed of causality (which so happens to be the speed of light). Only way I can see us doing that is using Einstein-Rosen bridges, but those are still theoretical.
What about spooky action at a distance faster than light?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
That is true, but, regrettably two-way communication is essential. :D
I swear my wife already knows what Im looking for as soon as the fridge door opens. Thats has to be faster than the speed of light.

:D

Viva

Expert Member
Beating NASA? They're almost entirely funded by NASA. Musk is a past-master at getting his hands on taxpayer money.

SpaceX couldn't exist without NASA, which is funded from the public purse.
Yes, beating NASA to Mars.

Of course NASA is their biggest client. Is there something wrong with doing business with governments?

Edit: Does this fact not make SpaceX's achievements and vision all the more impressive? From what I understand, they are lowering the cost of space travel, which is precisely what one would expect from the private sector: innovation and efficiency.

Also, SpaceX is not the only company receiving NASA contracts. They're the cheapest though.
http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/7800/why-does-spacex-appear-to-get-less-funding-from-nasa-for-the-same-thing-as-compe

Last edited: