This is where you can get Rain 5G

Lupus

Honorary Master
One Plan 5G R1 000 per month fixed fee unlimited data 24/7. No shaping or throttling. Speeds are the same 8pm at night compared to 1am in the morning.
That's really not bad, it's what I'm paying for 50 up and down.

Reactions: Yuu

wingnut771

Honorary Master
One Plan 5G R1 000 per month fixed fee unlimited data 24/7. No shaping or throttling. Speeds are the same 8pm at night compared to 1am in the morning.
you're probably their only customer, i suspect throttling will come into effect as customer base grows because there is no way the tower load level is the same during those times, or maybe it's throttled at 400mb in anticipation of load.

cavedog

Honorary Master
you're probably their only customer, i suspect throttling will come into effect as customer base grows because there is no way the tower load level is the same during those times, or maybe it's throttled at 400mb in anticipation of load.

Well we will see BUT signal plays a bit role. 5G is so fussy. Right next to the tower 800Mbps. 250m from the tower 600Mbps. 1km from tower 400Mbps so yeah speed drops relatively quick. Coverage will be an issue so less users per tower and the further you go the slower it gets so even if someone 2km away maxes their connection @80Mbps for example it's still leave plenty of bandwidth on the tower. I think the only speed limiter will be distance from tower and whether that tower is in an area with FTTH or not.

That's really not bad, it's what I'm paying for 50 up and down.

Yeah it is. R500 cheaper than my 200Mbps fibre line. I'm disappointed about the upload speed though but expected it due to distance.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Well we will see BUT signal plays a bit role. 5G is so fussy. Right next to the tower 800Mbps. 250m from the tower 600Mbps. 1km from tower 400Mbps so yeah speed drops relatively quick. Coverage will be an issue so less users per tower and the further you go the slower it gets so even if someone 2km away maxes their connection @80Mbps for example it's still leave plenty of bandwidth on the tower. I think the only speed limiter will be distance from tower and whether that tower is in an area with FTTH or not.

Yeah it is. R500 cheaper than my 200Mbps fibre line. I'm disappointed about the upload speed though but expected it due to distance.
maybe get an external antenna.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
Can you show a map of where to get support from Rain? since 5g launched our 4g is a disaster and nobody seems to bother even logging a ticket nevermind attending to it or getting back to you.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
Obviously that's going to change soon.
agreed, and that and the upload speeds being ridiculously low makes it funny how they say it compares with fibre. no fibre support will tell you to 'turn the router north' or 'your elevation changed suddenly so now you have poor speeds'.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Can you show a map of where to get support from Rain? since 5g launched our 4g is a disaster and nobody seems to bother even logging a ticket nevermind attending to it or getting back to you.

4G tickets need to go through the ISP.
5G customers have a dedicated number.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Got mine today, the maps published are definitely out of date, my house is about 5 blocks outside the darker circle and I'm getting at least 200Mbps.

I would recommend you enter your details on the 5G site if you interested and wait for an SMS.

Leno

Expert Member
A few points on the people saying it will get congested just like LTE did

1) Rain has a lot more frequency in the band they are using for 5g than their LTE bands
2) The physical footprint is smaller, so you are sharing with less people
3) The price is more expensive, so probably less people
4) No Vodacom Roaming customers to use up the bandwidth

They have mentioned they will probably launch more products / prices which may change point 3

In italy where they have a decent amount of frequency allocated to LTE the speed was flying, and thats with all social media and streaming being uncapped