This is why DStv can’t let you choose your own channels

Toxic T

Didnt they have an article about letting people chose their own packages the other day?

Stopped reading after treadmil. #GymFeesMustFall :D

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Gyms are all owned by DSTV anyway. Pay alot of money to use the same Gym equipment all the time :D

also DSTV is talking hogwash. How is it that people can choose smaller packages eg Easy View or compact? Thats basically x amount of channels you can view, while the others are cutoff. So why cant there be a sports boquet, where the other channels are switched off? Or am i missing something here

Last edited:

RichardG

Honorary Master
#DSTVFeesMustFall enough of this propaganda!

We always have to pay royalties for programming that we don'twatch.. there should be a bouquet excluding sports at a lower price but with a full bouquet of everything else

Johand

Expert Member
Wasn't there an article a couple of days ago about how "optimal" satellite distribution is?

Maybe they should just admit that their system suck and online streaming is the way to go.

But they won't do that because they know that all of the things above are just excuses. If you decouple sport from the other channels they will have a blood bath on their hands. I have no sympathy for them -- removing SyFy was a mistake.

klipdrifter

This is a load of nonsense, they have never ever complained about their encryption keys or whatever they call it to be an issue and now all of a sudden it will be a big one... I don't buy this load of bull.

Luckily we have alternatives like Netflix so they can take their encryption keys and shove it down the toilet.
And for sport, there are alternatives as well... :)

they have never ever complained about their encryption keys or whatever they call it to be an issue and now all of a sudden it will be a big one... I don't buy this load of bull.
I didn't bother to read the article, but after what you said I did.
Having some limited knowledge on the topic, I can conclude they talk through their backsides.

If you let each subscriber become their own group, this would place more strain on the system than the bandwidth offered by DStv’s satellites could handle.

For anti-piracy reasons, which are driven by Hollywood studios, DStv constantly has to cycle encryption keys through its decoders.

“That’s why you sometimes see an error message when you switch on a decoder for the first time when it’s been off for awhile,” said Shiburi.

If you have to generate content encryption keys for each individual subscriber, this would cause a massive amount of signalling traffic.

It could take days for a new subscriber to be activated if such individual channel selection were allowed, said MultiChoice.
Multichoice think we are idiots... confirmed.
What they don't know is that some of us DO KNOW that their sh`tty systems are used in other markets, and in those markets, I know, for absolute fact that different encryption keys are used for every channel and every subscriber, I have seen it with my own eyes.

I know some details of IRDETO2, and this guy is talking through his arse, as per usual... The usual PR bullschitt spin.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Dear Nyiko Shiburi
This article is on a computer related forum!
Respectfully, please do not underestimate our intelligence with your explanation!

Tman*

Expert Member
DSTV: "We now have the technology to provide content to millions across the continent on a range of different platforms"

People: "But can we please choose our own content"

DSTV: "Sorry, its too complex, cant be done"

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Why are they complaining to their consumers?

DSTV: Here's our product X. We think you will like it.
Consumers: No, seems OK, but if you change it slightly to Y, we will buy.
DSTV: Uhm, but we can't do that because blah, blah, boo hoo! Poor us! Please buy X.
Consumers: Go away.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Waiting for DSTV to admit the main reason they are sweating blood is because the Boks are performing so poorly, their most profitable subscribers are losing interest...