This is why mobile broadband is so slow and expensive in South Africa

sajunky

Honorary Master
It is because in developed countries mobile broadband is only supplementary service to the fixed line Internet. In SA I have no other option than mobile broadband. Not really a remote area - in Midrand. The same for many others. It push demand for mobile access and prices stay high.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
It is because in developed countries mobile broadband is only supplementary service to the fixed line Internet. In SA I have no other option than mobile broadband. Not really a remote area - in Midrand. The same for many others. It push demand for mobile access and prices stay high.
True, and you are correct to say 'in developed countries' and there are many countries (the whole of Africa, except perhaps Mauritius) where mobile has filled the massive vacuum in meeting pent up demand for broadband.

Unfortunately, although fixed-wireless is a solution which fills the gap, ICASA doesn't realise. If WISPs had better access to spectrum they would be able to offer faster and cheaper 'fixed' broadband and grow even faster than they are, meeting that halfway gap between fixed and mobile.

DailyTech

Never mind that?

COMPETITION ???? , what about DSTV .... HUGE ripoff prices !!!

krycor

Honorary Master
Do you really think Vodacom, MTN heck even CellC or Telkom give a hoot? The biggest failure of gov was to protect these enterprises and to continue to allow them to try & dictate.

There is a plethora of books on how Vodacom & MTN together stifled growth in SA and basically allowed the economies of the rest of Africa to catch up and leap frog us. I think the MTN OTT thing in parliament should make many worry because it shows gov still listens to operators despite the harsh effect that very apparent

djtzar

As long as you have a corrupt government , there will always be room for stifling the competition. Why do you think none of the bigger telecom players overseas have not invested in SA ? Its simply mathematics , too much effort for little reward and the other players know that hence they can dictate prices and control the mobile market .....