This South African family lives off the Eskom grid

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
This South African family lives off the Eskom grid

There are a few ways to avoid load-shedding, such as buying a generator or inverter, but the only truly unaffected residents will be South Africans who live completely off the grid.

The Dreckmeyr family has accomplished exactly this. Their home in Pretoria is completely off the Eskom grid and is powered exclusively by solar and wind power.

thechamp

Honorary Master
The Dreckmeyr household is powered by a 5kW-per-hour solar array paired with a 2kW-per-hour wind turbine, allowing the house to constantly generate electricity.
Intriguing...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Whats this, the 3rd or 4th article on the same family and their solar installation?

I seem to remember a figure of around R350000 for what they have.
**EDIT**
My mistake... R400000 : https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energy/118565-tell-eskom-and-its-load-shedding-to-stuff-off.html
MyBB should do an article on the family themselves. Would like to hear what Fibre provider, where they purchase their food, what underwear they wear..........

.....spice thing up in the article

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
MyBB should do an article on the family themselves. Would like to hear what Fibre provider, where they purchase their food, what underwear they wear..........

.....spice thing up in the article
I want to know what laptop and cell phone he uses... cos I can get them and be JUST like Inus.

mister

Executive Member
Thanks so much myBB, I had completely forgotten about the previous articles.

garp

Executive Member
Not sure how newsworthy this is - these days I suspect there are rather a lot of people living off the grid. 20yrs ago it was noteworthy, not so much anymore.

Daruk

Honorary Master
This article misses the most important question - how much did it cost?
Extremely little I'm guessing

He said that after more than 11 years of service, he has only replaced one battery bank as part of his maintenance, and the system has proven to be an extremely cost-effective solution.