Thou shalt not use Facebook: Pastor

Wogan

Before pointing out how ludicrous his thought process is, consider this:

At least he didn't say "thou shalt not use the Internet".

Leostar

Expert Member
How lame is it to blame facebook??

The pastor must expand his ban to include..

Though shall not email, nor use the telephone directory as thee can trace old loves.

Nor shall thee go to the restaurant or other places that thee visited with thine prior loves.

Thee must discontinue all contact with former friends or family members of thine previous loves.

How about do not look at other woman as this may tempt them to start a new affair.

FAIL- lame

zolly

Expert Member
The real problem is monogomy.

On the other hand though you have all the other problems that come with polygamy.

McT

The Humble Scot!
At least I am happy abstaining from FB ;)

Rosaudio

First Officer
Firstly.. New Jersey? Seriously? :sick:

Secondly.. why blame Facebook? It's like blaming a knife for a murder and saying people should throw away their kitchen knives. If a guy/girl commits adultery, then thats totally his fault, not Facebook

McT

The Humble Scot!
[-]+1[/-] absolutely, where is there own determination to move on

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
He has a point... there is something fascinating or daring about hooking up with old flames through the internet... or meeting new and interesting people. The internet definitely makes it easier.

BUT.... why not just tell people to exercise a bit of self control and discipline. After all... isn't discipline needed in all areas of life? Eating, Driving, Drinking, Sport, Hobbies, Etc.

So instead of getting rid of the temptation... learn to discipline yourself in the face of temptation. That is kinda what life and growing up is all about.

and before somebody quotes the old "if your right hand offends you, cut it off" .... Jesus didn't say to delete your FB account... he said "cut your hand off" ... in other words... you deal with yourself personally and directly and leave the rest of the world alone (meaning you can never completely remove all the temptations in this life).

angotull

If you have problems you have problems, rubbing on ointment isnt going to help. If a chance meetup on facebook is going to do the damage then anything will. Maybe these people need to look at the cause of the issue and deal with that rather than blame something else and remove the responsibility from themselves. Monogamy is such an outdated concept anyway. But I think that as a species, the majority of human beings are just way to insecure about themselves and their relationships to think further than jealousy. And of course you cant admit to that. Its so nice when our shepherds tell us what we can and cant do, then we no longer have to face these terrible little problems.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Thou shalt not Facebook

Thou shalt not commit adultery. And thou also shalt not use Facebook.
And thou, Reverend Miller, shalt be considered a kook with serious psychological issues and should seek immediate remedial help. Fortunately, people like you reveal the insanity of religion quite aptly, so do carry on.

Fact: ceasing to use Facebook won't make marital, relationship or social problems go away. Moron.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I predict this pastor will be busted in another religious leader sex/drug scandal soon.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
I predict this pastor will be busted in another religious leader sex/drug scandal soon.
News just in: Pastor Miller has an online affair on Facebook! Wife discovers private messages! Paster blames Facebook and the Devil!

requiem

Expert Member
He has a point... The number of people who put their entire life, relationship status - who they went out with last night - what they wore - what food they ate, who they speak to etc.....

Gives an outsider a very in depth insight into someones life. But of course all of this is still just part of the information age, people need to be able to control their urges.

mister

Executive Member
If his congregation are all so weak willed and unhappy in their marriages that they keep being led astray by ex flames on facebook, then maybe the church is the wrong place for them! They clearly want to live a more hedonistic life.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
It goes with the territory. If your life is so messed up and rudderless that you require "divine" interference to do the right stuff, then by all means obey the Pastor. But it is pointless going around blaming a website for the state of human nature.

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
ffs can't these loons leave other people alone ?

I thought part of the bible is to not judge others ?

My girlfriend also recently posted some Halloween pictures of herself on Facebook and one of her uncles sent her a message she is tempting Satan when dressing up for Halloween. I wanted to reply that he is tempting Satan by being obese as your body is a temple of God.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I think it's safe to say that the internet and in particular social networking makes it easier to communicate with people and in a way you don't in day to day life. I'm pretty sure that he didn't use the words shalt not or make it sound like one of the 10 commandments.

Perhaps the lesson is thou shalt not commit adultery (not unexpected coming from a church pastor)... along with "avoid situations that will put you in a difficult spot".
Perhaps the media had a field day with those two...
Either way, there is a point in there for married peeps regardless of your religious affiliation. Take the good and leave the rest?