Thoughts on a 2009 Volvo Xc60 3.0T Geartronic.

Thoughts on a 2009 Volvo Xc60 3.0T Geartronic.

• Great Car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay Away

Votes: 11 100.0%

• Total voters

Fjs89

Hey everyone.
Can you please help me?
What’s you thoughts on a 2009 Volvo Xc60 3.0T Geartronic.

I was in an accident and the insurance payed out. Saw a 2009 Volvo Xc60 3.0T Geartronic at a dealership with just over 280 000km on the clock.
Is it a great car to buy to use as a daily family car or should I stay away from it.

It still looks to be in top condition interior and exterior.
How expensive is services and parts and how available are Volvo parts in SA?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
For 50k buy it lol

If something goes wrong it won't be cheap to fix and it probably gets terrible fuel consumption.

Save the hassle and buy a toyota.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Hey everyone.
Can you please help me?
What’s you thoughts on a 2009 Volvo Xc60 3.0T Geartronic.

I was in an accident and the insurance payed out. Saw a 2009 Volvo Xc60 3.0T Geartronic at a dealership with just over 280 000km on the clock.
Is it a great car to buy to use as a daily family car or should I stay away from it.

It still looks to be in top condition interior and exterior.
How expensive is services and parts and how available are Volvo parts in SA?
Thank you in advance.

Are you trolling us?

RudderVator

Expert Member
Honestly If your budget is limited go for something more simple such as a Corrola or some sedan in the Japanese stable. Some sort of simple straightforward sedan with no Turbo and most probably a Manual. A car with 280 000km on the clock and 10 Years is finished. It’s end of life.

Do you expect to get another 150k out of it without being willing to spend substantial money on it each time it breaks down?
The fact of the matter with any car of that age is the suspension components are normally shot. All the rubber bushing. Control arm bushing, Shocks. Not to mention the health of a 300 000k engine inside? Electronics can be a nightmare as switches and relays pumps and injectors start to work out.

Another factor you might want to consider is to rather buy a type that has had higher numbers sold in SA since you will most probably want to try and find second hand parts and for a Volvo thats a tough one.

Great cars otherwise drove S60 T5 2002 for 7 years. Went over to Subaru after that.

Fjs89

Honestly If your budget is limited go for something more simple such as a Corrola or some sedan in the Japanese stable. Some sort of simple straightforward sedan with no Turbo and most probably a Manual. A car with 280 000km on the clock and 10 Years is finished. It’s end of life.

Do you expect to get another 150k out of it without being willing to spend substantial money on it each time it breaks down?
The fact of the matter with any car of that age is the suspension components are normally shot. All the rubber bushing. Control arm bushing, Shocks. Not to mention the health of a 300 000k engine inside? Electronics can be a nightmare as switches and relays pumps and injectors start to work out.

Another factor you might want to consider is to rather buy a type that has had higher numbers sold in SA since you will most probably want to try and find second hand parts and for a Volvo thats a tough one.

Great cars otherwise drove S60 T5 2002 for 7 years. Went over to Subaru after that.

Thank you very much Louis72 for the info. It makes sense. Just saw the car and thought it’s a nice safe car since Volvo always brags about their safety features in their cars.

If I may ask, how’s the Dodge Caliber and the Chev Captiva?

Will take the money and put it down as a deposit on something newer and more reliable.

Once again thank you.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thank you very much Louis72 for the info. It makes sense. Just saw the car and thought it’s a nice safe car since Volvo always brags about their safety features in their cars.

Will take the money and put it down as a deposit on something newer and more reliable.

Once again thank you.
No, Chev and Dodge are a big No from me, Chev is no longer in the country and how many Dodges do you see around?

The Volvo is your best bet in terms of reliability in the non mainstream cars, otherwise look for something Japanese, If it is the budget that is constraining you rather look for a lower mileage Volvo. There is nothing particular wrong with a Volvo, it is just that your one is too old.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Well, if you like paying a furtune on petrol and and for services go ahead (I drive a Volvo)

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

Once again thank you.

Both of these companies that sell these cars in SA has left us.
Parts won't be cheap for that reason.

They cheaply made plastic car's, won't be cheap to maintain.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Which one do you drive? I has also been having designs on a Volvo myself.
2009 Volvo T5 R-Design. I bought it with 23 000km's on the clock 7 years ago. Immediately flashed software, bigger down pipe, decat and bigger inter cooler. Now sitting with 145 000kms Power went from 169kw and 320nm to 215kw and 430nm

Yearly services are not bad at all, some sites actually list exactly what will be done and what it will cost. But small things that goes throughout the year that is driving me mad.... ignition issues(sometimes it does not want to start), clutch issues, but that is probably due to the extra power, electric windows stops working and needs a replacement.
I don't know much about cars so don't work on mine myself apart from the basic bulb change. It's taking it in for the small things that's driving me mad!

TheChamp

Honorary Master
2009 Volvo T5 R-Design. I bought it with 23 000km's on the clock 7 years ago. Immediately flashed software, bigger down pipe, decat and bigger inter cooler. Now sitting with 145 000kms Power went from 169kw and 320nm to 215kw and 430nm

Yearly services are not bad at all, some sites actually list exactly what will be done and what it will cost. But small things that goes throughout the year that is driving me mad.... ignition issues(sometimes it does not want to start), clutch issues, but that is probably due to the extra power, electric windows stops working and needs a replacement.
I don't know much about cars so don't work on mine myself apart from the basic bulb change. It's taking it in for the small things that's driving me mad!
Thanks, you forgot the model, C30 I guess? I am looking at the conservative sedan types, they look so dignified, I saw an s80 V8 some time ago, what a beast, If only i was was able to be irresponsible for once and live with the consequences.

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Thanks, you forgot the model, C30 I guess? I am looking at the conservative sedan types, they look so dignified, I saw an s80 V8 some time ago, what a beast, I was I was able to be irresponsible for once and live with the consequences.
Sorry it's the S40 Sedan, I don't like hatch backs

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Thanks, you forgot the model, C30 I guess? I am looking at the conservative sedan types, they look so dignified, I saw an s80 V8 some time ago, what a beast, If only i was was able to be irresponsible for once and live with the consequences.

Oh just have to add it's only been the last 2 years that I spend R40 000 plus a year to keep it going, before that it was R10 000 a year at most, and while under motor plan I only replaced tyres. Volvo never cared about the aftermarket software etc.

Fjs89

Thank you very much for everyone’s input. I appreciate it a lot.
I would rather then stick with Nissan or Toyota and just put the payout down as a deposit on something new with less maintenance.
Have a great day and weekend.