Threat of summons

MJG

Business has not been good enough and thus I am behind by a few months on my courier account.
I fully intend to pay the account and have communicated this to them
I have made a small payment to the acvohntvand intend to continue to do so until the account is paid up.
They have now sent a mail saying that they are going to send a final letter of demand and issue a summons.
What defense do I have if any on a case such as this?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
None really... You can get the court to try agree to a payment plan but it's not a guarantee.

Tman*

Expert Member
Try to work out an agreement outside court.

If all else fails and they do issue summons, don't ignore it.

Reactions: MJG

MJG

Try to work out an agreement outside court.

If all else fails and they do issue summons, don't ignore it.
They have issued a final demand letter.
I have suggested a payment plan and the attorney has asked if I will sign an acknowledgement of debt. Is this advisable?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I have suggested a payment plan and the attorney has asked if I will sign an acknowledgement of debt. Is this advisable?
yeah you should do it, they are just protecting themselves.

Tman*

Expert Member
if you legit owe the cash chances of you "winning" in court are slim

Signing an AOD without going to court will save you some money in terms of extra lawyer fees (from both sides), time and stress. Just make sure you can honour the terms of the AOD and actually pay your debt.

MJG

if you legit owe the cash chances of you "winning" in court are slim

Signing an AOD without going to court will save you some money in terms of extra lawyer fees (from both sides), time and stress. Just make sure you can honour the terms of the AOD and actually pay your debt.
Ok and if we cant come to an agreement what is worst case scenario?

JayM

Expert Member
They go to court and get an order to liquidate your business. Are you a Pty/cc? Or sole proprietor?

MJG

They go to court and get an order to liquidate your business. Are you a Pty/cc? Or sole proprietor?
PTY.
But what would the purpose be to liquidate the business. The business holds no assets other than a cellphone contract and a vehicle which is still owned by Wesbank

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
if your company is an SOE don't fret, ask Uncle Cyril for a R2bill bailout :thumbsup:
just kidding, i hope your business picks up nicely this year and that you and your courier company can come to a nice arrangement, all the best for the year ahead

JayM

Expert Member
PTY.
But what would the purpose be to liquidate the business. The business holds no assets other than a cellphone contract and a vehicle which is still owned by Wesbank
They don't know that. By the sounds of things, your business is already insolvent and should not be trading. If you trade while being insolvent, you can become personally liable as a director.

Tman*

Expert Member
Summons > court > judgment > sherif arrives attach property > potential business liquidation.

For you personally a lot of stress, dealing with debt collectors, bad credit score etc etc

If you have no assets play open cards with your creditor.

MJG

Summons > court > judgment > sherif arrives attach property > potential business liquidation.

For you personally a lot of stress, dealing with debt collectors, bad credit score etc etc

If you have no assets play open cards with your creditor.
"Note that our client is willing on a purely without prejudice basis to accept payments of R3000.00 per month until the capital, interest and costs have been settled."

This is the latest email from their lawyer. I suggested R1000 per month. The total owing is R14000.
What does the 'purely without prejudice part mean?

thehuman

Expert Member
Asume some fees and interest will be added to the 14k , what is the maximum you can afford to pay them .

MJG

Asume some fees and interest will be added to the 14k , what is the maximum you can afford to pay them .
Honestly right now maximum R1000 but situation will improve soon and will be able to pay more. I have no intention of dodging the debt at all

Tman*

Expert Member
"Note that our client is willing on a purely without prejudice basis to accept payments of R3000.00 per month until the capital, interest and costs have been settled."

This is the latest email from their lawyer. I suggested R1000 per month. The total owing is R14000.
What does the 'purely without prejudice part mean?
Its hardly worth it for them to take you to court over R14 000, it will almost cost them more to recover it. Either the lawyer is seeing dollar signs or the people you owe money too are being petty. No one will win.

I suggest you make an appointment to go and see them (the people you owe money too, not the lawyer) face to face and put a hold on email communication.

MJG

Its hardly worth it for them to take you to court over R14 000, it will almost cost them more to recover it. Either the lawyer is seeing dollar signs or the people you owe money too are being petty. No one will win.

I suggest you make an appointment to go and see them (the people you owe money too, not the lawyer) face to face and put a hold on email communication.
I agree. It is definitely a case of both.
Unfortunately they are in Johannesburg and I am in East London so a face to face is out of the question