Three Years in Prison for Lenasia Land Fraudster

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
103,228
Lenasia land fraudster Mandla Dlamini was sentenced to three years' imprisonment by the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

"After considering all the facts before the court, including the age of the accused, I am still of the opinion that imprisonment is the [best] option," magistrate Elen Engelbrecht said.

"You are sentenced to three years, six months of which is compulsory."

It would be up to the director of correctional services whether Dlamini was then released, said Engelbrecht.

Dlamini, 75, a bricklayer, was convicted of two counts of fraud for illegally selling stands and promising to build houses for people in Lenasia and Ennerdale.

He was arrested in June last year.

One of the complainants paid him a deposit of R17,000 to build a house, while the other paid R12,000.

Clad in a grey jacket and blue shirt, the grey-haired Dlamini stood in the dock and listened attentively to Engelbrecht deliver sentence.

He bowed his head when he was led to the holding cells afterwards.

Dlamini is separated from his wife, to whom he was married for 35 years. She now lives in England. They have two children, aged 19 and 29.

Engelbrecht said crime was negatively affecting everyone in the country.

"People's lives change for the worse as a result of crime. We experience that in our courts every day."

Dlamini had illegally sold government land intended for development.

"As a court we have to send a clear message that crime will not be tolerated," said Engelbrecht.

Gauteng human settlement department's anti-corruption unit head Papadi Makhetha said Dlamini's case was part of a large number of similar cases before the courts.

"There is one case in which Richard Zikhali, who is said to be a kingpin, has allegedly defrauded people of millions of rands. Other cases are also underway in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court."

Zikhali's fraud case was set to resume in the Johannesburg Specialised Commercial Crimes Court in April next year, said Makhetha.

He was also accused of illegally selling government land in Lenasia and remained in custody.

"We are happy that these alleged fraudsters have been brought before the courts to face the law," said Makhetha.

In November, the Gauteng housing department demolished about 50 houses in Lenasia.

The department said it was acting within the law because the houses were illegally built on government land.

The plots on which the houses were built had apparently been fraudulently sold for amounts ranging from R2500 to R95,000.

The buyers were given forged deeds of sale with the department's logo.

Following the bulldozing of houses, Lenasia residents held several protests about the demolitions and blockaded roads leading into Lenasia with rocks and burning tyres.

Further demolitions were halted following a ruling by the High Court in Johannesburg.

The SA Human Rights Commission took the department to court, calling for demolitions to be stopped so it could investigate whether any human rights were being infringed.


Source : Sapa /gm/fg/dd/clh
Date : 05 Mar 2013 13:57
 

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
48,435
Hopefully he does the full sentence. Or might be he won't even make it.
 

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
72,988
Six months compulsory, for ruining people's lives.

Disgusting.
 

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
103,228
Land Judgment Postponed

Judgment in the fraud case of Musziwamandla Poto and his wife Elizabeth Masinya was postponed by the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Friday.

The court heard the judgment was lengthy and Magistrate Theunis Carstens was not well.

Judgment was postponed to September 20.

The couple face multiple fraud charges relating to illegal land sales.

They and five others have appeared in different courts for allegedly selling stands for between R15,000 and R50,000.

The buyers were allegedly given forged deeds of sale with the Gauteng housing department's logo.

The couple allegedly told Lenasia residents that Masinya worked for the provincial housing department and that Poto acted as an agent to secure land for a fee. They have denied this.

They claimed they were charging money for the "service" of investigating who the plots belonged to.

In November, the Gauteng housing department demolished about 50 houses in Lenasia.

The department said it was acting within the law because the houses were illegally built on government land.

Following the demolitions, Lenasia residents held several protests and blocked roads leading into Lenasia with rocks and burning tyres.

Further demolitions were halted following a ruling by the High Court in Johannesburg.

The SA Human Rights Commission called for the demolitions to be stopped so it could investigate whether any human rights were being infringed.


Source : Sapa /ma/fg/jk
Date : 30 Aug 2013 09:49 OrigID : LP729708
 

nightjar

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
5,004
Lenasia land fraudster Mandla Dlamini was sentenced to three years' imprisonment by the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
....One of the complainants paid him a deposit of R17,000 to build a house, while the other paid R12,000.

.................Dlamini had illegally sold government land intended for development.

.........................He was also accused of illegally selling government land in Lenasia and remained in custody.

"We are happy that these alleged fraudsters have been brought before the courts to face the law," said Makhetha.

.......................The plots on which the houses were built had apparently been fraudulently sold for amounts ranging from R2500 to R95,000.


July 4 2001
Police thwart PAC-led 'land grab'
............."We are frustrated that the African National Congress government has no plan for dealing with the land crisis," said PAC secretary-general Thami ka Plaatjie. "We have charged R25 a person,
http://www.thepost.co.za/police-thwart-pac-led-land-grab-1.69244#.UiChf9feVTM

Thami ka Plaatjie was able to get away with illegally flogging off hijacked land in 2001 at R25 a time.

This shows, twelve years later, the ravages of inflation.
 

Rocket Raccoon

Executive Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
8,526
Judgment in the fraud case of Musziwamandla Poto and his wife Elizabeth Masinya was postponed by the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Friday.

The court heard the judgment was lengthy and Magistrate Theunis Carstens was not well.

Judgment was postponed to September 20.

The couple face multiple fraud charges relating to illegal land sales.

They and five others have appeared in different courts for allegedly selling stands for between R15,000 and R50,000.

The buyers were allegedly given forged deeds of sale with the Gauteng housing department's logo.

The couple allegedly told Lenasia residents that Masinya worked for the provincial housing department and that Poto acted as an agent to secure land for a fee. They have denied this.

They claimed they were charging money for the "service" of investigating who the plots belonged to.

In November, the Gauteng housing department demolished about 50 houses in Lenasia.

The department said it was acting within the law because the houses were illegally built on government land.

Following the demolitions, Lenasia residents held several protests and blocked roads leading into Lenasia with rocks and burning tyres.

Further demolitions were halted following a ruling by the High Court in Johannesburg.

The SA Human Rights Commission called for the demolitions to be stopped so it could investigate whether any human rights were being infringed.


Source : Sapa /ma/fg/jk
Date : 30 Aug 2013 09:49 OrigID : LP729708
This is an unrelated case. :confused:
 

Recruitsmiths

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2011
Messages
675
Has anyone here seen what Lenasia looks like....with all the squatting...illegal building, etc!
 
Top