Thunderbird is go! Well, not quite...

Executive Member
And so I turn to you for help :)

I need to import all mail (ie folders and many many subfolders) from the Vista standard Windows Mail (Version 6.0.6000.16386, if you need to know that), as is, into Thunderbird. I have not seen any obvious way of doing that. Before you suggest it, Google has not shown the way.

I assume someone on this site will be able to show me the way...

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Its pretty difficult. afaik vista's windows mail works on a different type of file structure to thunderbird.
You could always just run the standard import routine in thunderbird though and it will pull everything in itself.
I have yet to have a problem with that and i have done it from many versions of outlook and outlook express etc.

Executive Member
The standard import option offers me options for Communicator 4.x, Eudora, Outlook and Outlook Express... None are applicable. Is there an additional import download that I'm missing, maybe...?

killadoob

Honorary Master
No when you first install thunderbird, it will ask where it should import the mail from.

Try reloading thunderbird and look the option

Executive Member
Done. Deleted account, uninstalled, reinstalled, loaded account. No joy. Unless I'm doing something silly.

Grouter

Executive Member
I know I'll get whacked for this, but rather download windows live mail and migrate to that. Thunderbird gave me weird issues on vista. I think it was something to do with thunderbird not co-operating with the virtualisation thing in vista - my mail was being stored in multiple locations, I couldn't back it up properly, and then when mails started going missing I gave up. I liked it, but couldn't live with the problems and so moved to windows live mail. It's very good IMHO.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
The standard import option offers me options for Communicator 4.x, Eudora, Outlook and Outlook Express... None are applicable. Is there an additional import download that I'm missing, maybe...?

Maybe export it to Outlook Express, then to TB.

Executive Member
Maybe export it to Outlook Express, then to TB.

Was just considering that option.

I see from this that it entails copying .EML files, which is the same in Windows Mail and Outlook Express. Stupid question: Where is the .EML file stored? I can maybe circumvent the need to download OE by choosing the OE import option in Thunderbird, and pointing it at the current .EML folder?

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Was just considering that option.

I see from this that it entails copying .EML files, which is the same in Windows Mail and Outlook Express. Stupid question: Where is the .EML file stored? I can maybe circumvent the need to download OE by choosing the OE import option in Thunderbird, and pointing it at the current .EML folder?

I think OE may be on your Vista CD.

Executive Member
That won't work anyway.

Came across this site, where is seems OE won't export Windows Mail's email folders.

The relevant part:
Finding an easy way to move my e-mail back into XP proved more difficult. Outlook Express's import function won't import Vista Mail's .eml messages wholesale. The following method is simple and suffices--if you have a taste for the tedious.

You can save Vista Mail's messages to a safe place and then drag them directly into the Outlook Express window. But if you have a lot of sorted e-mail, you must manually recreate your folder structure--which is where the tedium commences. Here's the step-by-step:

1. In Vista, save your e-mail repository to a safe place on another partition or drive before you install or overwrite Vista with XP. Find the repository in: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsMail\ Local Folders (Username is your user name). You can redirect the repository to another location by using the Tools, Options, Advanced, Maintenance, Store Folder function, or you can export in Mail format to another location. I recommend the latter (or both).

2. After you've installed XP, open Outlook Express, open an Explorer window pointed to the safe location you copied the .eml files to, select them, then drag and drop them to the folder in OE where you want them. As I mentioned, you must recreate the folders yourself.

The above method works, but I have over 250 folders into which I sort e-mail or have archived for particular projects, so I really, really wanted a better way. Since I had Office 2007 with Outlook (any recent version of Office Outlook will do), I hit on the idea of importing the messages into Outlook from Mail under Vista, then transferring them back from Outlook to Outlook Express in XP. It's a slightly convoluted process, but it requires no tedious labor and works like a charm.

So that option is out, as I don't want to re-sort all my mail. I don't have Outlook, so that's not an option.

Surely there's an easier way.

Executive Member
One step ahead :p
I've installed the ImportExportTool extension. Just trying to figure out how to use it...

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Didnt read the rest of the stuff but you can import to outlook then to thunderbird quite happily.
Which version of TB are you running?

Executive Member
Ok. So. I am a genius and figured it out (with a large thanks and portion of the credit to nihilist, as always).

If anyone else has to do it (and also recording it in case I want to do it again), here's how:

1. Save and install the add-on as instructed on that page.
2. In Thunderbird, go Tools>ImportExportTools>Import all eml files from a directory>also from its subdirectories.
3. Select the appropriate folder at C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsMail\LocalFolders\[Applicable folder (eg Inbox)]

It does rename some of the subfolders, by only using part of the name/tacking numbers at the end of the name, but otherwise all seems intact.

stix

Expert Member
Ummmmh, you could always have exported the each folder as a csv file and imported it back in......