TikTok: Trump says he will ban Chinese video app in the US

surface

Executive Member
Donald Trump: US Treasury should get cut of TikTok deal https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53633315

What a communist.
Well, I think Microsoft should consider voluntary donation to Treasury if they benefited from price reduction. It does sound mafia like behavior but MS is benefiting from it, right?

Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, she said: "I hate to say this but it is kind of almost Mafia-like behaviour - threatening a ban which pushes down the price then saying 'oh we should get a cut of that deal afterwards to say thank you for what we've done there'.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
My daughter made an interesting comment yesterday. She said she's no longer interested in TikTok because there aren't any americans featured anymore. I was like huh? I knew about that orange idiot trying to ban it, but I didn't know whether it was in effect yet.

Or maybe she just heard or read about it and decided she's no longer interested.

Either way, its a win for me, at least she can walk straight like a normal person when we go to the shops, instead of someone looking like they're having a ****ing stroke.

krycor

Honorary Master
I reckon this in combo with the H1B1 pause (might become perma if he stays) will have tech sector worried.

Basically this smells like a “if it’s not US based, we will ban it or force sale”.. reminds me of autocratic regimes. Ironic.

Now yes, I know China is not the best wrt tech coming in but the US is at the same time cruising with insane debt and if you as a tech person sees the combo of events you can’t be going “cool.. business as usual”.

So yah.. I reckon this is gonna bite them in behind, after all.. the trade war started with China and now involves friend and foe alike.

krycor

Honorary Master
Yes. But the US know what kind of data they, themselves collect, so it does seem to be a concern to them if China can do the same.

However as a South African this is rather irrelevant. I am for equal spying and I like my Naspers shars to go up.
Lost 7-8% as Trump expanded it to include WeChat. Watch this space as I reckon they will force disinvestment in other platforms which have majority shareholders which are Chinese or other too. You know it’s coming.

I dunno.. in a weird way I’m with Trump on this, he should go full retard as these actions further isolates the US and essentially is gonna make them irrelevant as tech works on economies of scale.

I reckon with the changes coming there is big chance the US goes back to where they were pre-world war 1, ie a 1st world country ain’t nobody gives a **** about as the “real world” is EU and Asia.. currency will depreciate accordingly too..

rietrot

Honorary Master
Lost 7-8% as Trump expanded it to include WeChat. Watch this space as I reckon they will force disinvestment in other platforms which have majority shareholders which are Chinese or other too. You know it’s coming.

I dunno.. in a weird way I’m with Trump on this, he should go full retard as these actions further isolates the US and essentially is gonna make them irrelevant as tech works on economies of scale.

I reckon with the changes coming there is big chance the US goes back to where they were pre-world war 1, ie a 1st world country ain’t nobody gives a **** about as the “real world” is EU and Asia.. currency will depreciate accordingly too..
Jip. In a wierd way Im also with Trump on this. Somebody needs to stand up to communist China.

Other than that I don't agree with anything you said. The US is a big enough market on its own for economics of scale. Even most of Asia and India will side with the US. Everyone is cautious about China expanding.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

Not so quick, the dollar is still the world reserve currency so they have a very big economic advantage and not likely to be ignored for a while.

Jip. In a wierd way Im also with Trump on this. Somebody needs to stand up to communist China.

Other than that I don't agree with anything you said. The US is a big enough market on its own for economics of scale. Even most of Asia and India will side with the US. Everyone is cautious about China expanding.
They only have a large scale consumption wise, they have minimal manufacturing output on manufactured goods in terms of feeding their own consumption (nevermind export), compared to the amount of manufacturing china produces. And india isn't ready yet to take over chinas manufacturing capacity. Until the usa finds an alternative to satisfy the american consumers and corporations love for cheap-manufacturing-kool-aid, the usa is stuck in a love/hate relationship with china.

konfab

Honorary Master
Tik Tok is an objectively garbage piece of software. It isn't any different than preventing cars that don't have any safety or ratings from being licenced on public roads.

But the same people who want to claim the moral high ground about protecting adults from making a stupid decision are exactly the same people who think the very same people should be allowed to vote.

konfab

Honorary Master
What do you mean by this? Objectively garbage how? Is it more or less garbage than Facebook, Twitter or Instagram?
By not implementing basic security measures from the start. And I do mean absolutely basic. Stuff that web frameworks have turned on by default.

Simple things like protecting their API against CSRF.

Detailed analysis here:
https://research.checkpoint.com/2020/tik-or-tok-is-tiktok-secure-enough/

Debugging CORS issues is something that is part of the infinite loop of software development hell. It is literally the closest thing to a necessary evil I have encountered.

This is before you even get into what people have found in the app's source code. Which is along the lines of remote code execution.

Last edited:

C4Cat

Honorary Master
By not implementing basic security measures from the start. And I do mean absolutely basic. Stuff that web frameworks have turned on by default.

Simple things like protecting their API against CSRF

Detailed analysis here:
https://research.checkpoint.com/2020/tik-or-tok-is-tiktok-secure-enough/

This is before you even get into what people have found in the app's source code. Which is along the lines of remote code execution.
You're right, that is garbage. Apparently that's all been fixed though so not sure if it's still garbage!

rietrot

Honorary Master
Not so quick, the dollar is still the world reserve currency so they have a very big economic advantage and not likely to be ignored for a while.

They only have a large scale consumption wise, they have minimal manufacturing output on manufactured goods in terms of feeding their own consumption (nevermind export), compared to the amount of manufacturing china produces. And india isn't ready yet to take over chinas manufacturing capacity. Until the usa finds an alternative to satisfy the american consumers and corporations love for cheap-manufacturing-kool-aid, the usa is stuck in a love/hate relationship with china.
Manufacturing is another story altogether. This is specifically about "Tech companies".

But on manufacturing, nothing will get the ball rolling like necessity, if the goods from China dries up.