Tile roof or IBR/Zinc

Salmank

Hi there,

We have to make the decision whether to put tile roof or IBR sheets in our new extention.

We currently have a zinc roof on around 200 square meters of our house. On the 100 meter extention, should we change the renovated section to a slightly pitched tile roof (and slowly the rest of the house)?

Or, should we just use IBR?

What are the pros and cons of both?

Regards

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Chromadek is best, less maintenance and pretty cool.
IBR is less maintenance for peaks etc than tiles but if painted will need painting before the tiles.
I would go Chromadek , IBR then tiles.

Tiles also shift, crack and get dirty depending on colour

crack2483

Chromadek is best, less maintenance and pretty cool.
IBR is less maintenance for peaks etc than tiles but if painted will need painting before the tiles.
I would go Chromadek , IBR then tiles.

Tiles also shift, crack and get dirty depending on colour
Chromadeck is just the name of powder coated pre painted IBR or Corrugated sheeting. IBR/Corrugated is the actual profile of the sheeting.

Meelperd

Well, what does the structure cater for, or is that not designed yet?

I think your deciding factor should be this: What will it look like in the end? This should strongly influence your choice, regarding your property value in the future.

Look, IBR maintenance is a walk in the park - been there, done that. I would always go for a lekker sinkdak, but don't go that route if it's not going to be practical for some or other reason.

crack2483

Would you say IBR with chromodeck or tiles?
Well I live on the coast so I'd recomend tiles. We hardly get Chromadek in because the galv sheeting still ends up rusting. We get the alternative product Colorplus which is a Aluminum based sheeting which survives longer on the coast.
But of your existing roof is sheeting then rather go that route to match I'd say.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I went with Colorbond recently with a 0.47mm IBR profile.
Chromadek is just another material similar to Colorbond and Colorplus.