Tim Cook claims Android has 47 times more malware than iOS

grok

Honorary Master
Tim Cook can come suck my Apple, I'm still going to prefer Android to his ecosystem.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not on the Play store. This is a bit misleading and also downplay's the actual amount of malware that have made it onto the Appstore. This is just classic Apple wanting to hold everyone's hand.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not true. Win can be safe, its made unsecure by design.

Nothing to do with the most popular. The only reason is, Windows by default at install makes you the root user. Then by default it creates another disabled admin account...with NO password. Virusses can't run or do damage if you are not root. You can actually make it more secure by making it behave like linux...by not using an admin account.
That is neither here nor there. A lot of settings are unsecure by default but it also wasn't designed with security from the ground up and most of it is just high level permission flags. Practically everything can be circumvented vs with Linux if I don't have the sudo password I can't use it as every circumvention requires the password.

Dave

Honorary Master
No.
Apps get properly reviewed BEFORE Apple releases them to the App Store and that is the only way apps get on an iPhone.
So no malware on the Apple App Store

There is also the issue of malware being introduced into popular apps, look at an app like Cyberflix, there are a number of different sites purporting to be the official version, it’s not unreasonable to expect at least one of those could be harbouring malware.

There is just really no control on installing apps on Android, let alone properly reviewed before release.

Dave

Honorary Master
Why muck about with Cyberflix anyway? Just use Kodi.

Because a lot of people prefer simplicity. Syncler/CinemaHD/Cyberflix etc are all superior to Kodi from a UI point.

oh, and your comment contributed nothing to the insecure apps point I made…

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Because a lot of people prefer simplicity. Syncler/CinemaHD/Cyberflix etc are all superior to Kodi from a UI point.

oh, and your comment contributed nothing to the insecure apps point I made…
Working fine for me and the 38 million + other users.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Android could have 200% more malware, I am still not getting a closed system, that tells what, where and when.
If I f up, I f up it has nothing to do with android, considering, I have not gotten malware since I started using android at KitKat, the likelihood is going to be zero in future as well one because I don't do stupid shyte or do things Iam not suppose to be doing.

So apple can take their treat everyone like 5 year olds and shove it deep.

I bought the device and a license to my OS, I have a right to do whatever the hell I want with the device and OS as I see fit I after all paid for the device, It is my property and no company has the right to tell me or restrict my use of the device because it is the ''safe'' thing to do.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Why muck about with Cyberflix anyway? Just use Kodi.

Ironically Kodi works better on my jailbroken iPad than on my android powered oneplus. Something to do with the 90hz refresh rate on the oneplus. Go figure...

Swa

Honorary Master
There is also the issue of malware being introduced into popular apps, look at an app like Cyberflix, there are a number of different sites purporting to be the official version, it’s not unreasonable to expect at least one of those could be harbouring malware.

There is just really no control on installing apps on Android, let alone properly reviewed before release.
Neither is there on IOS. It takes 10 minutes to jailbreak an Iphone. Apple knows and silently endorses the backdoor they introduced. Not really such a secure OS when you can make it do what you want if you want.

Dave

Honorary Master
Working fine for me and the 38 million + other users.

Oh, and on phones I have never had trouble free use with Kodi, it would invariably freeze or refuse to do what I wanted, and that’s on a number of different handsets.

Syncler and CinemaHD work for me, smoothly and without problem, I do take every precaution that I always use the official apk’s, but I know that even doing that isn’t 100% safe, it is a chance I take on my Android phone to have the streaming services work.

Dave

Honorary Master
Neither is there on IOS. It takes 10 minutes to jailbreak an Iphone. Apple knows and silently endorses the backdoor they introduced. Not really such a secure OS when you can make it do what you want if you want.

can you point out this 10 minute jailbreak procedure? Say for an iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6 and that allows full functionality of the phone.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

A free-to-play app called Zoshy+ has been gradually climbing up the Puzzle game charts on the App Store. Based on its screenshots and app description, the app looks like an innocuous Sudoku client.

However, actually launching the app reveals a very different experience. Users are presented with thousands of movies and TV shows to stream illegally for free, including content from Apple’s own TV+ service. 9to5Mac has confirmed that the videos do indeed play, although users of the app must first endure several rounds of pre-roll ads.

Zoshy+ is listed under the developer account with the name “Ha Miller,” the individual’s only published app.

This app appears to have circumvented App Review by taking advantage of server-side controls. When the Zoshy+ app is installed and launched for the first time, the basic shell of the Sudoku’s game’s UI is presented. This initial state matches what is shown in the app’s screenshots.

After a few seconds, all of the content in the app is replaced with the illicit video browser interface, including tabs for exploring TV shows and movies. It seems likely that when the app was submitted for review, only the embedded Sudoku features were activated for the App Review team to test. The developer later enabled the alternate behavior via a server-side change.
:ROFL::ROFL:

Dave

Honorary Master

Update: Shortly after publishing, the app has been pulled from the store. Original story below.

A bit late telling us about it now! That would have been a useful app.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Practically everything can be circumvented vs with Linux if I don't have the sudo password I can't use it as every circumvention requires the password.
Not true. You can make it work just like linux, like i said.

• Install windows offline...to trigger local accounts
  • Enable builtin admin, set password, disable it again.
  • Setup normal user, do your custom settings, get rid of the bloat.
  • Logout and now always login with normal user for daily use.

Every time you need to change a setting,uninstall/install something, your UAC prompt will now pop up, asking for "the sudo password" (your admin password). Don't confuse it with the normal UAC prompt.
If any malware somehow creeps into your system and wants to change, delete or encrypt something, it will also trigger your UAC for password.

Nothing can now get elevated privileges if you don't allow it.

Delete any anti-virus, you don't need it now. I've been using this setup for almost 10 years now. Tried and tested.

Dave

Honorary Master

Swa, any luck with finding those instructions?

can you point out this 10 minute jailbreak procedure? Say for an iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6.

Swa

Honorary Master
can you point out this 10 minute jailbreak procedure? Say for an iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6 and that allows full functionality of the phone.
Here's just one

There's also 5 minutes, 10 minutes take your pick. A quick google would bring up any number of ways.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not true. You can make it work just like linux, like i said.

• Install windows offline...to trigger local accounts
  • Enable builtin admin, set password, disable it again.
  • Setup normal user, do your custom settings, get rid of the bloat.
  • Logout and now always login with normal user for daily use.

Every time you need to change a setting,uninstall/install something, your UAC prompt will now pop up, asking for "the sudo password" (your admin password). Don't confuse it with the normal UAC prompt.
If any malware somehow creeps into your system and wants to change, delete or encrypt something, it will also trigger your UAC for password.

Nothing can now get elevated privileges if you don't allow it.

Delete any anti-virus, you don't need it now. I've been using this setup for almost 10 years now. Tried and tested.
I didn't say you couldn't but you miss my point. The security isn't built in from the ground up but is simply tacked on top. It's like a key connecting two wires vs your car's engine electronic checking the key shape. Linux has every component checking its security level. Windows in many cases is just a prompt checking if the component is allowed to run rather than the component checking itself.