Tim Wyatt-Gunning takes the reins of Web Africa as CEO

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The best of luck to both Tim running Web Africa and to Matthew conquering the world!

WAJeff

Web Africa Representative
Welcome on board, officially, Tim :)
Great and exciting things to come. Looking forward to working with you!

@Matt: Best of luck in the future, I'm sure you will still be in contact with the rest of the Web Africans! Looking forward to your world domination ;)

Anthro

Expert Member
Matt a bit overworked, or is there something else we don't know about - CEO's don't change at the drop of a hat, you know..:wtf:

WAJeff

Web Africa Representative
Matt a bit overworked, or is there something else we don't know about - CEO's don't change at the drop of a hat, you know..:wtf:

Howzit Anthro,

Matt had a company meeting last week, and it wasn't an overnight decision from his part. I'm sure he'll pop around later on to comment on some posts.
He hasn't resigned either. He'll still be around the office.

Web Africa’s shareholding is currently split between Matthew Tagg (majority shareholder), Rupert Bryant, Tim Wyatt-Gunning, Tim Parsonson and Smartcom.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Definitely not a quick decision – from what I understand Matthew has been planning this for months (maybe even years). He has big plans for a Silicon Valley startup…so in this case it is really to pursue other business interests :D

wamatt

Web Africa founder
Company Rep
The best of luck to both Tim running Web Africa and to Matthew conquering the world!

Thanks Rudolph, it's been an honour to have been working with yourself and the industry for so long. Am looking forward to taking a non-operational role going forward.

Haha, actually I've been thinking about working myself out the job for last 4-5 years! :) And starting actioning with getting investors onboard in 2009, putting all the structures in place to support us, strengthening the management team and board etc. One does not simply get up out of the driving seat! It's been a fantastic run and I will enjoy the breather, think I'm going to take up kiteboarding this summer ;)

We now are in a really good position with WA, but it needs a more outward focus. As an introvert, I'm better suited to architecting and strategy, not necessarily being "out there" and communicating and getting people excited etc, which is more appropriate of the CEO position. I'm super passionate about my skillset, however that is no longer aligned with the position.

Congrats to Tim and I know he is going to have a whale of a time, and customers (current and future) have some exciting changes to look forward to.

Last edited:

wamatt

Web Africa founder
Company Rep
While in my later years I wasn't able to be as personally involved in the forums as I hoped for, but I'm sure a few of the older members will remember interacting with me from "back in the day". Feel free to PM if you'd like to go for a beer and catchup, now that I have a bit more free time :)

I would also like to extend a thank you to the community for roasting us over the coals on occasion, but more importantly your support and encouragement. :D

Warm regards,
Matt

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
Thanks Matthew, and Jeff for the quick response !
One thing I must say, Even though the MWEB tech guys engage general 'Joe Public' in a excellent manner, it is not common for a CEO to pop around.

If anything I want to commend you and your company for this type of personal interaction - all the best with your future ventures, hope to some day go for a beer with you guys in CT - one of my mates works in your Dev environment - and I am sure he will gladly join the party :)
Jeff knows him as 'the blue lurker' :D

Lounger

Expert Member
I must have missed the COO job advertisement. Darn! :D

Was looking for a new position ...

BGE

Expert Member
Based on the pic in the article, I'd say it appears you need a break Matthew... enjoy and good luck with the next adventure!

Stevie G

Banned
@ Matt & Jeff

Why not let the Redafrica accounts be able to use their DL+ over weekends starting from 6pm on friday until 12pm sunday evening and also on public holidays. i do not dl 24/7, but stream mostly in those periods.

Any reason why its not possible?

wamatt

Web Africa founder
Company Rep
If anything I want to commend you and your company for this type of personal interaction - all the best with your future ventures, hope to some day go for a beer with you guys in CT - one of my mates works in your Dev environment - and I am sure he will gladly join the party :)
Jeff knows him as 'the blue lurker' :D

Thanks Anthro, sounds good! :)

wamatt

Web Africa founder
Company Rep
Based on the pic in the article, I'd say it appears you need a break Matthew... enjoy and good luck with the next adventure!

Thanks BGE!

I'll also be speaking at MyBB this year so feel free to come say howzit. Looks to be a fantastic conference again this year.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Good luck to Tim. I hope he has a thick skin if he posts here.

Thanks Matt...very thankful for my MyBB special account. :)

Why not let the Redafrica accounts be able to use their DL+ over weekends starting from 6pm on friday until 12pm sunday evening and also on public holidays. i do not dl 24/7, but stream mostly in those periods.

Any reason why its not possible?
During the weekends people use the internet & would feel network degradation. In contrast at 3am nobody cares.

I'd like it to be weekends too, but I don't think its going to happen.

Stevie G

Banned
ok i understand, but business don't need priority as its weekend and most of them are closed.
the other option is maybe to increase the anytime cap from 30GB to 50GB perhaps and the 80GB afterhours.
could that not work?

Fuma

Executive Member
Yep. He looks like he hasn't slept in years. Red eyes and all. Good that he decided to "step down", else he was going to drop dead. LOL. This is based on the pic of course.

Yuu

Executive Member
Awesome stuff, All the best to the WA ' fellows :D.

Always a pleasure to have a CEO pop in on the forums :).

Looking forward to these announcements you speak off...