Time balance network connection

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Hi guys,

I'm sure there are multiple threads and I have searched a bit but everything seems buried and all over the place so maybe a single thread for the concept.

So with Rain launching their new sims as well as the "after hours" data and Telkom killing their 500Gb for R50 after hours, I want to look at leveraging a Rain connection for downloads\updates\game installs etc and the normal Telkom connection for everyday traffic between the peak period of 6pm-11pm. Yea, one can just change the sim card but thats a bit of a schlep and I'd rather look at having two devices and some software/router handling traffic on a time based schedule between the devices.
In my mind I would see this as some gateway device that everything talks to and that device sending traffic to the respective routers depending. I know you get load balancing and failover options but can folks point me in the right direction for this? Would prefer a software solution vs hardware if possible ( virtualised is fine ) but if it required a hardware then sure, like to look at those options.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Hi guys,

I'm sure there are multiple threads and I have searched a bit but everything seems buried and all over the place so maybe a single thread for the concept.

So with Rain launching their new sims as well as the "after hours" data and Telkom killing their 500Gb for R50 after hours, I want to look at leveraging a Rain connection for downloads\updates\game installs etc and the normal Telkom connection for everyday traffic between the peak period of 6pm-11pm. Yea, one can just change the sim card but thats a bit of a schlep and I'd rather look at having two devices and some software/router handling traffic on a time based schedule between the devices.
In my mind I would see this as some gateway device that everything talks to and that device sending traffic to the respective routers depending. I know you get load balancing and failover options but can folks point me in the right direction for this? Would prefer a software solution vs hardware if possible ( virtualised is fine ) but if it required a hardware then sure, like to look at those options.
A Mikrotik Routerboard should do the job just perfectly for you... and it'll be cheap enough as well.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
A Mikrotik Routerboard should do the job just perfectly for you... and it'll be cheap enough as well.
I suspected I might have to go that route. Any idea on which one? Haven't worked directly with a microtik before but I know they are very versatile.

Something like the hEXLite? Seems small enough, don't need massive overkill.

https://shop.dbg.co.za/rb-750.html

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I suspected I might have to go that route. Any idea on which one? Haven't worked directly with a microtik before but I know they are very versatile.

Something like the hEXLite? Seems small enough, don't need massive overkill.

https://shop.dbg.co.za/rb-750.html
They all run the exact same RouterOS so it really just comes down to the hardware requirement.

However another option would be flashing some existing hardware you already might have with alternative firmware.

Mikrotik used to also offer some boards that actually take the SIM cards directly but not sure if that would be supported by RAIN etc.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
They all run the exact same RouterOS so it really just comes down to the hardware requirement.

However another option would be flashing some existing hardware you already might have with alternative firmware.

Mikrotik used to also offer some boards that actually take the SIM cards directly but not sure if that would be supported by RAIN etc.
I currently only have a B315 device, thats why I was looking for a gateway type device to switch between that and another with a differant sim. Alternatively , I have a micro server running that could perform some type of proxy/routing functionality as well.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I currently only have a B315 device, thats why I was looking for a gateway type device to switch between that and another with a differant sim. Alternatively , I have a micro server running that could perform some type of proxy/routing functionality as well.
You could run RouterOS in a VM. But then there are many other freeware options available that work better in that capacity.

Like pfSense etc.