Time for Government to sell Telkom

Do you think Government should sell its stake in Telkom?

• Yes

Votes: 85 97.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Time to sell Telkom

Telkom, as many of us have already figured out, is in a bit of a pickle. Not only has it lost most of its senior management over the past month, but it has also written its investment in its Nigerian operations, Multilinks down to zero and is continuing to bleed fixed line subscribers at home.

I laugh Vodacom buys Telkom *grin*

Would someone like BT actually be interested to purchase majority of Telkom? Considering the hassles of operating a fixed line company in SA? They would then have to deal with the cable theft issues etc.

The simple problem is private ownership will not mean a sudden caring attitude, it would be perhaps aimed at being more competitive while it would also focus on exploiting every bit of the monopoly it still has.

Selling Telkom would be a good start, but opening up the market to competition, with better regulations is what is needed.

Selling Telkom right now would basically mean it gets sold with majority share to some politically connected pooba and his group of wealthy friends.

The consumer is in a loose,loose situation in my opinion.

When the market is allowed to be open then we the consumer will start to win.

The simple problem is private ownership will not mean a sudden caring attitude, it would be perhaps aimed at being more competitive while it would also focus on exploiting every bit of the monopoly it still has.

Selling Telkom would be a good start, but opening up the market to competition, with better regulations is what is needed.

Selling Telkom right now would basically mean it gets sold with majority share to some politically connected pooba and his group of wealthy friends.

+1
Deregulation
Competition
LLU

Government got a share in Telkom and I doubt ICASA (probably full of ANC members) want to mess with government. Remember how Ivy dictated to ICASA. If Telkom is privately owned maybe ICASA will start to do something.

The government must stop protecting Telkom via the DOC and ICASA. That is the right thing to do.

Step 1 : Devalue the company to sheet.
Step 2 : Sell it to your buddies.
Step 3 : Mega profits roll in because of the companies unique position as the only provider with a working last-mile product.

Julius will never agree to that...Do you still remember his gesture on mines?

Step 1 : Devalue the company to sheet.
Step 2 : Sell it to your buddies.
Step 3 : Mega profits roll in because of the companies unique position as the only provider with a working last-mile product.

Sadly we were actually discussing this scenario just the other day.

We need a major international operator that has experience in LLU scenario's to buy out the government share.

loose: not tight
lose: not win

Thank you
Grammar Nazi

OMG I thought he actually meant loose! Loose as in... loose women = women of questionable morals. I thought it was a rather ingenious way of saying the consumer is being screwed! ROFL.

Selling the beast goes hand in hand with deregulation. They would no longer have a vested interested in keeping the monopoly going.

I'd go for BT. What are the chances though?

slim to none my degree business which is well is...... non existent but me thinks nobody really makes money from telkom except the government
maybe just enough to make them happy but the real winners is this stupid guavament of our

In hindsight maybe they not that stupid ... they sure do know how to make da money

Back