Time, Sanity and Work Life Balance

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I just wish my house was paid off. Was in charge of I.T. for the last 8 years of my life but still doing the junior, middle guy and senior workload. Now at age 29.....I`m propper gatvol.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Thanks for the responses and advice @fundutzi and @RedViking.

I feel that I know what I have to do (to name a few: ).
- Wake up and get out of bed when the alarm goes off
- Take a morning jog and push yourself.
- Plan out your my day.
- Plan out study times.
- Plan out proper meal preparations
- Call or message an old friend
- Read a book
- Join a local sports clubs (cricket, rugby, tennis, swim)

These are all the solutions. Yet I can not discipline myself and end up having time wasting me...
Just laying around and not having a planned out goal.

I think this is what is means to be a loser.
"What the hell happened."
No. This is what it feels like to be burnt out. I can almost guarantee youre burnt out. I feel exactly like this just before exam time with UNISA. Dont give a hoot about anything. Feel lethargic. Dont care about responsibilities, etc. Its burnout.

Start by taking a 3 week holiday where you dont touch a PC, to clear your overworked mind,and you will start feeling better. Take the rest from there.

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
Use a task manager.. was great for figuring out and spreading tasks all over week such that it frees you for life (which u schedule to force u out of house).

Set times for various activities and stick to it ‍♂️ I dislike working in IT though as it steals many hours to get ahead and never ending to no fault of yours either.

But learning to manage your time for fixed goals is the biggest lesson one can learn to inhibit procrastination.

I did that when I came up and it’s been great.. till job got messy (non-structured, bsa & pm skimped so u jump from one crisis to the next) which likely why I’m looking to leave. That and having a family means you need to have a solid plan or leak hours and lose sleep catching up or studying.

Pavan

Expert Member
I don’t think you’re depressed or burnt out. From what you’ve said, you clearly understand what’s going wrong and what the best corrective measures are. Are you generally a procrastinator? Do you leave most things (work, chores, etc.) until the very last minute?

On another note, have most of your good friends settled into serious relationships now?

crocopede

Hi All,

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I am at a point where my life is pretty much Eat, Sleep, Work repeat.

I set out this year to put in extra hours and effort with my work in hopes of career and salary growth. Putting a lot of socializing aside and even working over weekends.

Now the company I work for has a very agile environment and I am constantly working on projects. A normal day would be 08h30 - 19h00 at work. I am single, so I do have a lot of time.

But I also want to skill up on data science and SQL but I feel that whenever I have free time I just waste it away now. Whenever I get home after work I would end up on Netflix/YT and make food. Not even healthy food. Most nights I eat Processed oven food, watch some more YT videos, browse the internet and go to sleep. Wake up the next day, make a hearty breakfast, make lunch go to work and the same routine on repeat.

Weekends feel like they are going to waste. I just end up watching netflix and doing nothing. This has been going on for a while now. I feel like I have become lazy. My plan was to study and work over weekends but now i just waste away. Work has also become like dealing with a never ending mountain and I do not feel like I am getting priorities done or getting the growth I need. I also do not do any exercise and ca not remember the last time I went out with friends (I think in March).

I have been trying to discipline myself to start studying, get into routine, make better food, get exercise (The closest gym is R950pm which I just can't do, when I lived in Lonehill I paid R250 at Viva gym.)

Not sure if this is normal for a 29 year old. But I am very concerned about my physical and mental health.
This weekend I just sat and thought to myself "What the F--- happened to you." I have never been this antisocial in my life. I have a life of the party type of personality.

Would love to get some feedback and thoughts from you guys. I actually feel like I should see a psychologist or something. It is like I do not have time for anything anymore.
Its called burnout.
Fix is easy. Take leave. Cant afford it? Use n tent.
Jog. Fck gym. Do bodyweight exercises. 3 x a week max outside.
Want to waste time after work? Decide that. 3 weeks i do nothing except watch crap. Gives power back to you. You did not waste time if that was your goal. Rejuvenate the soul.
Then plan your new routine. One thing at a time. Wake time.

I wake up diligently at 4am every morning. Why? Fck knows. Does it help? Helps me feel fcking tired by 8am. But then starts 4am jogs. Then 4am jogs followed by breakfast.

One change at a time. Im now on 4am - 45min run. 5 breakfast for me n wife in bed. I feed our baby while she gets her day started. I finish my day by 10pm. Then only do i get an hour to unwind. 4 hours sleep a night.

I know burnout when i read it.

Random Hero

Expert Member
Only came back to this post now.
Thank you for the response and the tips guys.

I actually had a week holiday where all screens and data services was switched off.
But came back 7 days later and I just had a bigger heap on my fork.

Since I made this post I have still just been wasting time, or rather time has been wasting me.
I managed to get a book and make time slots on it from 05h00 to 18h00 but with nothing in them.

I am definitely an extrovert. I love being out. but I have just been demotivated, also most of my friends have serious relationships or are married now. we still do after work beers every now and then. I did beers on Saturday and on Monday night.

Honestly, I feel if I just had more money I can plan out my wealth better, do investments and take out an annuity. Get a bigger place too.
Also I would be able to meet new people, doing stuff costs money, gym, sports club.

Like I said, I know what the solutions are. My mind and body is just in the rut that I feel incapable of disciplining myself and committing to a healthier lifestyle. And I think this depresses me.

fundutzi

Learn to mange what you have now, if one cannot mange what they have now, when more follow it oscillates to destruction.

Critical to learn early, look after your "cents", the "rands" will then look after themselves.
It is only state institutions that want more money when what have is poorly managed or manged to failure. Then, they ask for more money, this so they can build the tower higher and fail spectacularly.

Lift that chin, do some simple exercise twice a week for one hour to get started.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Find a work out buddy. Where do you live? I'm in Northwold, I'll happily work out with you.

I was proper negative as well, then I got a motorcycle and it made all the difference. Just having that time everyday where you're proper smiling all the way is fantastic. I mean, when was the last time you took a longer detour home for the fun of it? Can't remember I'm guessing.

Elfreako

Expert Member
It sounds to me like you might have early stages of depression. Perhaps book a Psychologist appointment and have a chat. Healthy eating, exercise and having a life are all very important, but if there is an underlying issue (Biological) you will never feel fulfilled. Mental health needs to be given the attention it deserves.

Bobbin

Executive Member
@OP, I don't believe there is an answer. Work is meant to suck else it would be called fun.

If you're not ill then perhaps you are simply adhering to your genetic disposition when it comes to expending energy.

One discipline technique isn't to force yourself to do the things you must do. It is to force yourself to do nothing else. To absolutely block anything and everything but the things that are productive, even if it means you sit still and stare into space for 2 hours until you can't stand it anymore and just take on the work. So grab a cup of coffee and then sit at your desk and demand that you only move or do anything when it is in favor of productivity. It's a neat short term trick that might help and might also re-program your reward mechanism a little in the long term if you can keep it up. :)