Times Media to launch video-on-demand

furpile

Expert Member
More info in the Tech Central article: http://www.techcentral.co.za/times-media-to-launch-vidi-vod/50550/

What I don't understand is they are launching the service in the next two weeks bu they are still working on pricing? Why couldn't they just have the pricing ready before announcing this service to the world (SA). And they mention it will be priced aggressively, I hope not compared to Multichoice but rather Netflix or similar. I also get the impression that you would pay a subscription for series and then extra for movie rentals, probably per movie.

grok

Honorary Master
Priced aggressively?

Sounds nice, almost like a tiger out on a roar. Big question however, it is aggressive as in Netflix-aggressive, or Multichoice/DSTV aggressive? You can guess which one we want..

JustAsk

Expert Member
More info in the Tech Central article: http://www.techcentral.co.za/times-media-to-launch-vidi-vod/50550/

What I don't understand is they are launching the service in the next two weeks bu they are still working on pricing? Why couldn't they just have the pricing ready before announcing this service to the world (SA). And they mention it will be priced aggressively, I hope not compared to Multichoice but rather Netflix or similar. I also get the impression that you would pay a subscription for series and then extra for movie rentals, probably per movie.
Yea, saw it on techcentral 2 days ago.

It looks they launch with a free 30 day trial (for leads i suppose) so you only have to pay from October.That explains the pricing thing, they first want to get your details. I'll also assume that hidden in their t&c's will state that you are automatically charged from October UNLESS you cancel.

It looks like a Vidi and a Vidi+ (for newer movie rentals) thing.

furpile

Expert Member
Yea, saw it on techcentral 2 days ago.

It looks they launch with a free 30 day trial (for leads i suppose) so you only have to pay from October.That explains the pricing thing, they first want to get your details. I'll also assume that hidden in their t&c's will state that you are automatically charged from October UNLESS you cancel.

It looks like a Vidi and a Vidi+ (for newer movie rentals) thing.
In the end that is what will decide who tries it out, I definitely won't until I know what it costs. If the price it at R500 a month then there's no point. Closer to R100 or so, it could be nice depending on what content they have. Don't really care to pay extra for movie rentals. But if there is no price, I'm not interested.

brixton tower

Expert Member
Netflix subscriber here. If they price it say R150/month, have an app for smart tv's along with the Android and iOS apps, it might just be successful. They might not have a large library, that can be built up over time.

kianm

Honorary Master
Priced aggressively?

Sounds nice, almost like a tiger out on a roar. Big question however, it is aggressive as in Netflix-aggressive, or Multichoice/DSTV aggressive? You can guess which one we want..
I hope the former, otherwise it's another waste of time