Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 August 2023 to 31 July 2024

I went through the exercise recently.
I was tired of FNB Connect since I can't even make a phone call at my home, nevermind accessing internet.

I got a MTN prepaid simcard and ported my FNB Connect number to MTN.
The coverage/service/signal is exactly the same.

I will be moving to Vodacom now.
I have dual sim. One is FNB, for calls (my main number) and the other is MTN, which I only use for data. Never had any issues with MTN where ever I am. FNB though, their signal disappears quite often.

Anyone know if you elect to pay for a petrol purchase with eBucks, that you subsequently loose the eBucks earn allocation for that purchase?

Anyone know if you elect to pay for a petrol purchase with eBucks, that you subsequently loose the eBucks earn allocation for that purchase?
You don't earn eBucks if you pay with eBucks. Kinda obvious. That is why it is a poor idea to pay for your fuel with eBucks where one can earn up to R8 per liter back in Ebucks.

I was tired of FNB Connect since I can't even make a phone call at my home, nevermind accessing internet.

Appreciate this post. Now I know not to waste my time porting to MTN.

The early termination fee is what I was referring to which I gather will be 3 months/90 days interest probably. That is keeping me from transferring at the moment.

This is still ongoing and I haven’t had a final statement from SAHL, but the bond took more than 3 months to process so registration went through last week and same day FNB paid SAHL a lot more than I expected, I called SAHL to ask about statement so I could see what’s going on and they said wait a couple of days as they haven’t got payment yet and as it’s taken more than 90 days I’ll get that penalty amount back. So Tuesday this week I received a bunch of money into my account, more than expected actually, yesterday I received a bit more. Still haven’t got final statement, should be here soon.l so no idea what FNB have paid or not.

Appreciate this post. Now I know not to waste my time porting to MTN.
I’ve been with MTN for around 7yrs and virtually no issues in that time, I certainly have no desire to move to any other network. Any network can have bad coverage in an area and users can experience issues. I would rate MTN has the best South African network in terms of coverage and speeds.

This is still ongoing and I haven’t had a final statement from SAHL, but the bond took more than 3 months to process so registration went through last week and same day FNB paid SAHL a lot more than I expected, I called SAHL to ask about statement so I could see what’s going on and they said wait a couple of days as they haven’t got payment yet and as it’s taken more than 90 days I’ll get that penalty amount back. So Tuesday this week I received a bunch of money into my account, more than expected actually, yesterday I received a bit more. Still haven’t got final statement, should be here soon.l so no idea what FNB have paid or not.
I'm currently undergoing this process and my attorney offered me the option of waiting out the penalty fees - which I opted for. The initial quote you get includes these penalties, so for every extra day the process takes, you pay less of those fees. In addition to saving on those penalty fees, you're also still paying the bond at your original bank, so you'll get that money back if you made any additional payments after the accepted quote - I'm no expert, but that sounds to be the source of your extra funds.

I'm currently undergoing this process and my attorney offered me the option of waiting out the penalty fees - which I opted for. The initial quote you get includes these penalties, so for every extra day the process takes, you pay less of those fees. In addition to saving on those penalty fees, you're also still paying the bond at your original bank, so you'll get that money back if you made any additional payments after the accepted quote - I'm no expert, but that sounds to be the source of your extra funds.

Ah, of course. Just checked now and the second surprise amount is a little less than a months installment which SAHL took as normal debit order on the 3rd Jan, the day before the registration went through to FNB.

Anyone know when the FNB connect allocations get done? Seem to recall it was usually the day after eBucks got allocated but still waiting ...

Would appreciate you listing the steps you take to port to Vodacom Prepaid as I've been meaning to do the same for a while now.

Anybody else found their eBucks reward level dropped after the 18th Jan. update? Suddenly lost a whole load of points. :(

Update: Reward level reinstated after 20th Jan. update.

Last edited:
Has anyone been having an issue going on for months now with secure chat in the FNB app where each time you reply to the secure chat it jumps up to some random earlier message and jumps around once or twice more till it finally settles at some random position in the chat log?
Also the notifications are hit and miss and if you miss a notification of a reply you get disconnected..

Is there anyway to rather have support chats via email?

I can't stand Secure chat even when it's working, no one knows wtf they are doing and you get redirected to multiple departments waiting each time in the queue or for the agent to reply and then after all the hoop jumping the chat disconnects and you have to start all over again

Back