• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019

Jasop

So my upgrade to PC was effected today. Private banker says my earn percentages until yesterday will be at Premier rates and from today onwards it will be at PC rates. The monthly card/account fees will be pro-rated accordingly as well.

In terms of reward level points and how the month is assessed it will be based on Premier caps if I heard her correctly. She was possibly contradicting herself in the phone call today but I really didn't have time to debate how it's all going to play out. Either way from what I saw on the Calculator page I should retain RL5 even on PC. I hope it's not a ball ache to work out what's what when next month's eBucks allocation happens.

New PC cards will take a few days to get to me, how long do the old Premier cards work until and is there any downside to using them even into next month? I suppose that would just be asking for trouble so might as well use the PC cards once I have them in hand.
Good luck, but a few here including myself earned 0 on "lower" card spend in upgrade month ... ebucks was only calculated on the spend on the new cards. In my case, I queried it with both ebucks and private banker and it was not resolved after going back and forth several times. To minimise lost ebucks it's best to upgrade immediately after ebucks are allocated. However even if you lose out this month, hopefully the additional earn going forward will make this one month insignificant.

petum

Can the eBucks users who abuse the Dischem discount vouchers by buying Unipin to pay for pre-paid electricity stop it? It is abuse of the process - the Dischem vouchers were obviously meant to purchase products at Dischem. Your abuse may result in the cancellation of Dischem vouchers which is to the detriment of all of us.
Anyone know of there is a maximum amount allowed to purchase?

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Good luck, but a few here including myself earned 0 on "lower" card spend in upgrade month ... ebucks was only calculated on the spend on the new cards. In my case, I queried it with both ebucks and private banker and it was not resolved after going back and forth several times. To minimise lost ebucks it's best to upgrade immediately after ebucks are allocated. However even if you lose out this month, hopefully the additional earn going forward will make this one month insignificant.
Surely that's not right, why was it not resolved? I'll be highly peeved off if I lose eB3200 due to my spend done already this month on my lower tiered card.

Tinuva

The Magician
Buy cheapest and test... Website isn't helpful
Yeah looks like that is what I will have to do. All the posts on MyBB looks like tshwane users (like you). The unipin website is absolutely useless. Only other site that lists Unipin is spar, but they not clear on whether they support Cape Town directly or through unipin, only that they support unipin on top of the other providers they have.

ele33

Yeah looks like that is what I will have to do. All the posts on MyBB looks like tshwane users (like you). The unipin website is absolutely useless. Only other site that lists Unipin is spar, but they not clear on whether they support Cape Town directly or through unipin, only that they support unipin on top of the other providers they have.
I bought CoCT and it worked. But yeah best try a small amount first.

Tinuva

The Magician
I bought CoCT and it worked. But yeah best try a small amount first.
Thank you very much thats great news!

The way I see it, may as well use 40% discount on prepaid elec, and the money that I would have used for it, can go into a savings for whatever next item I want to buy. Which makes it technically 40% discount on that item, except it can be from anywhere and not limited to the ebucks store or whatever random voucher is available. Obviously, as long as the dischem 40% discount holds up.

Jasop

Surely that's not right, why was it not resolved? I'll be highly peeved off if I lose eB3200 due to my spend done already this month on my lower tiered card.
I queried once allocation was done after upgrading (last year), and provided a breakdown showing what was excluded. I even maintained level 5 so allocations were easy to calculate.

They promised that the adjustment would be done in the following month's allocation.

The adjustment was calculated wrong as even after the adjustment, they excluded eB 18k. They added the missing spend from upgrade month to the following month to calculate adjustment, which meant adjustment earn which was calculated above the caps, were little or nothing.

This is now about 8 weeks later, I queried again. They simply replied with a copy and paste of the earn rules from the website.

By this time over 2 months after initial query I was earning much more on PC compared to Premier so I just got fed up and left it.

Looking back it's still annoying but no regrets upgrading at all.

Jasop

yeah and almost all said was a very bad idea. i did after the 8th and worked out no issues.
I think the safest would be to avoid as much spend as possible (especially big purchases) and hoops like cash@till until allocation around 10th and then upgrade. Once receiving new cards a few days later, try to reach caps on new cards in remaining 2-3 weeks of the month.

If I upgrade to PW, will do this. Also noticed that to just qualify to earn ebucks on PW requires 60k deposits per month or averaged over 3 months. Another hoop to jump through if earning a lower fixed salary.

Trend over past few years seems to be that lower packages (gold, then premier etc.) suffer most after ebucks annual rule changes. So upgrading to PW might be good for the long run.

SAwanderer

Has anyone ever upgraded between the 1st and 8th... so after month has ended but before eB allocated?
This is what happened to me last month. I do most of my spend in the first week of the month so that was all on my premier card. I upgraded on the 14th of last month and everything from the 1st to the 17th was excluded. I have queried it with ebucks and with my banker but neither have been very helpful, so will wait and see. Missed out on about 9000 ebucks(R900) which is sad but what can you do. Also stayed on lv5 so should have been easy. I'll keep trying though.

*Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote Jasop's post a few posts up

SAwanderer

I think the safest would be to avoid as much spend as possible (especially big purchases) and hoops like cash@till until allocation around 10th and then upgrade. Once receiving new cards a few days later, try to reach caps on new cards in remaining 2-3 weeks of the month.

If I upgrade to PW, will do this. Also noticed that to just qualify to earn ebucks on PW requires 60k deposits per month or averaged over 3 months. Another hoop to jump through if earning a lower fixed salary.

Trend over past few years seems to be that lower packages (gold, then premier etc.) suffer most after ebucks annual rule changes. So upgrading to PW might be good for the long run.
I agree.That would be the best way to do in my opinion too. Try not to spend before you upgrade. It gets tricky though. When I did it ebucks only came out on the 14th, did the upgrade which only went through on the 17th then the new cards only arrived on the 19/20th, So that doesn't give one too much time to do all the missed spending...

Jasop

I agree.That would be the best way to do in my opinion too. Try not to spend before you upgrade. It gets tricky though. When I did it ebucks only came out on the 14th, did the upgrade which only went through on the 17th then the new cards only arrived on the 19/20th, So that doesn't give one too much time to do all the missed spending...
True, especially if recurring online credit card payments etc. are scheduled in the first half of the month. Also groceries, fuel, etc can only be delayed for so long.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Holy cow so it's essentially, "Welcome to Private Clients, thank you we'll take the majority of your eBucks as a special signing bonus!" and if you don't like that you will have to b1tch and moan for 2 months afterwards :rolleyes:

I started enquiring about PC and a specific eBucks rule on the 10th. It took a few days to get to a banker at PC at which point I was contacted on the 16th. Even though the timing was not ideal, it seemed like it was now or never. My PC private banker said that that all benefits that come with the upgrade such as Avis Point-2-Point, Priority Pass, etc... are 30 days delayed, so I will only get my allocation end of November. And then it will be my full allocation for the year which will expire end of December 2018 and renew in January 2019.

Last edited: