Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019

YaLiRo_M

Has anyone used Ebucks lifestyle for travel arrangements?

How is the service and affordability compared to other travel agencies?
I use it last year for Flights, 5 people, and Car Rental
Flights; JNB to DBN> R4400 + EB25000 BA came back with FA
Car: Modest Corolla Quest for R900 +EB3000 for 5 days

YaLiRo_M

Do you get a 40% discount if you book for others.
I'm really sure how their pricing structure works out!!! But, definatetly there are discounts. E.G
The Corolla worked out to be R1999, but at check out and after applying the discounts and EB3000, It was R900 that I paid

The flights were R9000, but then again at check out and discounts applied they EB25000, EB5000 per person, it was only R4500 that I had to pay.

My wife and I are both on level 5, PC and Premeir, and 3 children.

So, I feel the car rental was heavily discounted, and the flights not that much so!!!!

I'm really sure how their pricing structure works out!!! But, definatetly there are discounts. E.G
The Corolla worked out to be R1999, but at check out and after applying the discounts and EB3000, It was R900 that I paid

The flights were R9000, but then again at check out and discounts applied they EB25000, EB5000 per person, it was only R4500 that I had to pay.

My wife and I are both on level 5, PC and Premeir, and 3 children.

So, I feel the car rental was heavily discounted, and the flights not that much so!!!!
Discount apply to air fair and not taxes . The taxes is normally the most expensive part of the ticket.

YaLiRo_M

Confirmed even more evident on international trips
Thanks.... I’ll check them out later again when I book for my Jan Trip.... I like the process, But then again if there are even more cost effective sites, I’d definitely change.

I saw that booking.com also now have now a service like this, with flights and car too. I’ll check them out this year!!!

Sphinx21

Discount apply to air fair and not taxes . The taxes is normally the most expensive part of the ticket.
Confirmed even more evident on international trips
This makes the 40% discount claim seem wildly misleading and quite disappointing. There is an important distinction to make, which is that what airlines claim are taxes are not in fact always taxes. Airlines got sneaky and starting defining part of the ticket as "surcharges" and sometimes explicitly called "fuel surcharges". This money still goes to the airline and not to governmental authorities as implied by use of the language "taxes". Unless you're flying into Heathrow or some similarly congested airport, you'll find actual taxes and passenger fees are not that high on most tickets.

This is why I do find it strange that eBucks doesn't even bother discounting the total "non-tax portion" of the ticket. Discounts on "fare" alone are so minimal and ubiquitous nowadays you get it from the most superficial programmes, like Edgars clubcards, sanlam reality benefits, etc.

If you want to see the true "tax" portion of a ticket if it isn't fully invoiced, try booking a vitality discounted ticket or an SAA ticket with only SAA miles - a CPT-JNB one-way is maybe ~R150 in taxes and passenger fees.

It's a small distinction, but an important one. I think the misleading language is terrible.

YaLiRo_M

This makes the 40% discount claim seem wildly misleading and quite disappointing. There is an important distinction to make, which is that what airlines claim are taxes are not in fact always taxes. Airlines got sneaky and starting defining part of the ticket as "surcharges" and sometimes explicitly called "fuel surcharges". This money still goes to the airline and not to governmental authorities as implied by use of the language "taxes". Unless you're flying into Heathrow or some similarly congested airport, you'll find actual taxes and passenger fees are not that high on most tickets.

This is why I do find it strange that eBucks doesn't even bother discounting the total "non-tax portion" of the ticket. Discounts on "fare" alone are so minimal and ubiquitous nowadays you get it from the most superficial programmes, like Edgars clubcards, sanlam reality benefits, etc.

If you want to see the true "tax" portion of a ticket if it isn't fully invoiced, try booking a vitality discounted ticket or an SAA ticket with only SAA miles - a CPT-JNB one-way is maybe ~R150 in taxes and passenger fees.

It's a small distinction, but an important one. I think the misleading language is terrible.
I think hence my "So, I feel the car rental was heavily discounted, and the flights not that much so!!!!" comment

The discount was only on the ticket fair!!!!

Snyper564

Expert Member
I don't believe it is misleading at all... Read the terms it says only to base fare. You are actually by law not allowed to pay the taxes etc with ebucks also another reason the discount doesn't apply to it. There is nothing hidden it says terms and conditions apply and its stated clearly there...

KhoisanX

Expert Member
As others have mentioned, only the base fare is discounted. Something else to take into account is that the ticket prices sometimes differ between eBucks Travel and other booking sites, I've occasionally found it cheaper to book with the airline directly despite the 40% discount from eBucks Travel.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
As others have mentioned, only the base fare is discounted. Something else to take into account is that the ticket prices sometimes differ between eBucks Travel and other booking sites, I've occasionally found it cheaper to book with the airline directly despite the 40% discount from eBucks Travel.
Ja. I use kayak or Skyscanner to find cheapest fares.

Ebucks website tends to use rack rates, so don't take into account special offers that are available

Sphinx21

I don't believe it is misleading at all... Read the terms it says only to base fare. You are actually by law not allowed to pay the taxes etc with ebucks also another reason the discount doesn't apply to it. There is nothing hidden it says terms and conditions apply and its stated clearly there...
Except that those surcharges are not really taxes. That was my primary point. They can be paid for and programmes like Discovery Vitality do so.

AND

"Misleading" and "hidden" are not the same thing. When you say "40% off flights*" and then in fine print say, "well... so not the whole flight"; then its not exactly forthcoming now is it? It's trying to overstate the value of the benefit. It's why folks have been suggesting checking other sites and using other options on this forum. If we need tips and tricks to avoid a "trap" like that, then I'm going stick to misleading.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Except that those surcharges are not really taxes. That was my primary point. They can be paid for and programmes like Discovery Vitality do so.

AND

"Misleading" and "hidden" are not the same thing. When you say "40% off flights*" and then in fine print say, "well... so not the whole flight"; then its not exactly forthcoming now is it? It's trying to overstate the value of the benefit. It's why folks have been suggesting checking other sites and using other options on this forum. If we need tips and tricks to avoid a "trap" like that, then I'm going stick to misleading.
It's clear not hidden at all...

How are Discounts calculated?
  • Discounts are only applicable to the base fare of the flight (airport taxes, levies, surcharges, VAT and extras are excluded).
  • Discounts are applicable to the full value of the car rental excluding additional optional extras

At the end of the day just use what give you the cheapest price...

Sphinx21

There is nothing hidden it says terms and conditions apply
It's clear not hidden at all...
I was quoting you when I used the word hidden.

This is my point:

1547980220256.png

It's not 40% off the flight. There is no reality in which it comes close. If you have to go sifting through the rules to get to that info, then it is misleading. When you buy a voucher or an item on the ebucks store it doesn't end up excluding some part of the cost - because X% off is the universal measure we use for discounts/sales on the total cost of an item. I am sure almost everyone who has tried making a booking has been disappointed in the actual discount applied to the total cost of a flight, because it doesn't come close to 40%. A false expectation or basis of comparison is created.

It's analogous to the way it isn't incorrect when African Bank or ABSA claim 13% and 12% respectively "effective interest" on fixed deposits over 60 months. But it ignores the standard of measuring capital growth on a year-on-year basis or compound annual growth rate. It is meant to make the offer seem better than it is in reality, compared to other options in the market. That is misleading. Not false. Not hidden. Misleading.

I'll leave it at this, because I don't know how else to articulate the point. Cheers.

Tinuva

The Magician

This is my point:

View attachment 606510

It's not 40% off the flight. There is no reality in which it comes close. If you have to go sifting through the rules to get to that info, then it is misleading. When you buy a voucher or an item on the ebucks store it doesn't end up excluding some part of the cost - because X% off is the universal measure we use for discounts/sales on the total cost of an item. I am sure almost everyone who has tried making a booking has been disappointed in the actual discount applied to the total cost of a flight, because it doesn't come close to 40%. A false expectation or basis of comparison is created.

It's analogous to the way it isn't incorrect when African Bank or ABSA claim 13% and 12% respectively "effective interest" on fixed deposits over 60 months. But it ignores the standard of measuring capital growth on a year-on-year basis or compound annual growth rate. It is meant to make the offer seem better than it is in reality, compared to other options in the market. That is misleading. Not false. Not hidden. Misleading.

I'll leave it at this, because I don't know how else to articulate the point. Cheers.
I don't think you articulated it at all? Unless I grossly misunderstand what that word means. Communicate may have been a better choice?

:p:p:p:p

Speedster

Executive Member

This is my point:

View attachment 606510

I think your disappointment should be in how flights are priced, rather than ebucks. As a relatively regular flyer the 40% discount not applying to taxes makes complete sense as that is the industry norm.