Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019

Sphinx21

I think your disappointment should be in how flights are priced, rather than ebucks. As a relatively regular flyer the 40% discount not applying to taxes makes complete sense as that is the industry norm.
Indeed, that was my original point and I originally pointed out the sneakiness of airlines; but these are not all taxes. We should stop calling them that. There are fees and surcharges from the airlines themselves, that are perfectly discountable. It's evident when you use miles for airline award tickets that there are two divergent methods used; e.g. BA will make you pay these surcharges out of pocket, where miles (Avios) cover only the fare portion of the ticket. Conversely, their OneWorld partner American covers these costs with the miles, with minimal cash required for the actual taxes and security fees. (SAA does this schizophrenic thing where it depends on whether its a blitz ticket or not) So it's not a universal norm and we should be fighting the bad actors and rewarding the programmes that are better for their users. Some programmes exist and thrive on this asymmetry of information, because the average Joe isn't clued up on the intricacies and nuances.

It's in that spirit that I'm even bothering with this point on the forum. I consider us all fellow seekers of points maximisation (and what a noble pursuit!); But now I risk digressing from this forum's purpose entirely, so let's carry on. Go eBucks!

Just check with E Gifts, normally goes out of stock on vouchers and tops up a few days later.
At the top of the page when trying to buy takealot vouchers

"Takealot vouchers have been discontinued, and will be unavailable once the current stock has been depleted. We hope to make them available again in the future. "

piranha786

Expert Member
My CC about to expire soon. Been offered PC, but I'm worried I might not make L5. Been L5 on Premier for a couple of years, without any major hoops.
Assuming my spend stay more or less the same, whats the benefit of moving to PC? ( I had a look at the calculator, so I need to make some investments to jump 1 0r 2 hoops.

For now I see the biggest pro is the higher % (2,5%) and the R1500 voucher limit

Also what is FNB Private Clients Cheque Account for Spouses, and how does is work?

Last edited:

mrichard

My CC about to expire soon. Been offered PC, but I'm worried I might not make L5. Been L5 on Premier for a couple of years, without any major hoops.
Assuming my spend stay more or less the same, what's the benefit of moving to PC? ( I had a look at the calculator, so I need to make some investments to jump 1 0r 2 hoops.

For now I see the biggest pro is the higher % (2,5%) and the R1500 voucher limit

Also what is FNB Private Clients Cheque Account for Spouses, and how does is work?
Its mainly the voucher limit, and say you got around 9000eB per month now, you will get around 12000eB per month on PC. When you max fuel en checkers spending.

Also, just make sure you qualify for eBucks on PC, because you need a R32k deposit into your account each month, compared to like the R16k of Premier I think.

Speedster

Executive Member
Assuming my spend stay more or less the same, whats the benefit of moving to PC? ( I had a look at the calculator, so I need to make some investments to jump 1 0r 2 hoops.

IIRC my calculations a while back showed Premier level 5 trumps PC level 4 quite easily. If you can maintain level 5 pm PC then go for it, otherwise stay

Diderot

PC also has lounge key which is access to some international lounges and 5 free avis point to points

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
I was on PC for 5yrs and never benefited any great rewards as my salary knocked me down to L0 on eBucks. I rarely use airports and when i do i don't even bother with SLOW so it made no sense to stick to PC.
Just downgraded myself back to GOLD and wow the eB are flowing in fast, back to L5 rocks. Screw the black card status, it didn't work for me.
Getting back R4 a litre of fuel from Engen i still need to see, will know on next monthly update from FNB

Method

Executive Member
I was on PC for 5yrs and never benefited any great rewards as my salary knocked me down to L0 on eBucks. I rarely use airports and when i do i don't even bother with SLOW so it made no sense to stick to PC.
Just downgraded myself back to GOLD and wow the eB are flowing in fast, back to L5 rocks. Screw the black card status, it didn't work for me.
Getting back R4 a litre of fuel from Engen i still need to see, will know on next monthly update from FNB
I travel quite a lot so the lounge access and Avis point-to-point is a great plus for me. Otherwise I would also downgrade to Gold.

Currently on PW after they offered me an upgrade. So far it seems I should get to RL5 as soon as my Homeloan switch happens.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
I travel quite a lot so the lounge access and Avis point-to-point is a great plus for me. Otherwise I would also downgrade to Gold.

Currently on PW after they offered me an upgrade. So far it seems I should get to RL5 as soon as my Homeloan switch happens.
That is excellent to hear, hope it works out as L5 eB is the best there is. :thumbsup: Happy Travels

cozinsky

Expert Member
Why downgrade all the way from PC to Gold? I am sure you would have done better by downgrading only 1 level to Premier. You would have earned more ebucks and would have been able to buy more discounted vouchers.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
Why downgrade all the way from PC to Gold? I am sure you would have done better by downgrading only 1 level to Premier. You would have earned more ebucks and would have been able to buy more discounted vouchers.
On my salary i only qualify for eB on GOLD.
The bank kept pushing me for yrs and yrs to upgrade my accounts so i went Platinum, then they push again etc etc etc
So in the end I keep upgrading and I am losing out.
Not to mention GOLD monthly account costs are a lot cheaper as well.
So for me, GOLD works out the best :)

Fcon_Vpro

The bank kept pushing me for yrs and yrs to upgrade my accounts so i went Platinum, then they push again etc etc etc
Ive stuck to gold for similar reasons.
Although this is the first year where my ebucks earnings are outpacing the reduced voucher limits :(

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Salary does not have much to do with the eB reward level.
I'm sure my salary is below average when compared to others here but I hit level 5 on PC with ease.

I was on premier and hitting my cap and losing lots of ebucks.
Made the switch to PC, stayed on level 5 and now earning way more than the increase in account fee.

If you are hitting your spend caps, take a look at the calculator and see what you can do to level up on a higher account.
Might be easier than you think.

The only reason I see to stay on gold is if you spend less than R1700 at Checkers, R1500 on fuel and R7500 in total.
Otherwise you are just losing out.