Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020

K3NS31

Expert Member
When a lump sum payment is made, you have 2 choices:
  1. Phone FNB and request rescheduling of the lump sum or part thereof, to reduce monthly repayment, however available funds will no longer reflect available and a Credit application (subject to affordability and rate review) is required to access funds again;
  2. Leave the account as is, repayment will not be affected, funds remain available and when you need funds you can transfer via Flexi facility. (If the intention is to reduce monthly repayment only, you can subsidise the home loan debit order with funds from the bond)
If you choose option 2, your total payment term will still be reduced (provided you don't take the money out at some point), right? Cos you're still reducing your principal by more than the monthly amount. That's my understanding but just checking.

Louis72

You guys are way off! I'm similar, no car loan, no home loan, AND no investment account. FNB Gold, level 5 for 3 years now, including with the new rules this month. I make about R700 / month in eBucks, mostly from Fuel and Checkers spend.
So how did you get to Level 5 as there are set criteria’s for it product wise?
Im simply using the Ebucks calculator on their own website. https://www.ebucks.com/web/calculator/rewardsCalculatorAction.do

So in otherwords if you say R700 that means you earn 7000Eb a month on a Gold Account? :unsure: I would imagine your spend is about 60k?
I'm similar,I'm thinking about moving from discovery to FNB but I'm not a huge card spender, have no bond or loans with FNB,also I have to purchase fuel at BP/shell as Ill be keeping discovery insurance for the 50% fuel back which has been working well for me, so I'll also be getting about 800eb back :(
I mean I was simply curious. For the same products get back R140 on Absa Rewards level 3 out of 5. Similar to Eb. https://www.absa.co.za/personal/bank/absa-rewards/estimate/

Only difference is I only earn fuel spend on Sasol. Plenty around in Gauteng and all the big grocery stores Checkers,Spar, woolies etc 1.5% back. General swipes also about 1%. Structure is pretty much identical to Eb just get money back instead of points.

t_girl

I'm similar,I'm thinking about moving from discovery to FNB but I'm not a huge card spender, have no bond or loans with FNB,also I have to purchase fuel at BP/shell as Ill be keeping discovery insurance for the 50% fuel back which has been working well for me, so I'll also be getting about 800eb back :(
premier level 5, also not a huge spender. I get +- R200 a month from ebucks. Used to get more back from discovery but since I'm without the miles program for the time being, I figured I should try playing the ebucks game.

I haven't tried filling up at engen, will try that next month and see if the difference is worth it.

K3NS31

Expert Member
So how did you get to Level 5 as there are set criteria’s for it product wise?
Im simply using the Ebucks calculator on their own website. https://www.ebucks.com/web/calculator/rewardsCalculatorAction.do

So in otherwords if you say R700 that means you earn 7000Eb a month on a Gold Account? :unsure: I would imagine your spend is about 60k?
Yes, I get about 7000EB / month on Gold. And my spend is not about 60K.
Not even remotely close. Then I'd be on Private Wealth or something, not 'one level above peasant' "Gold" account.

With the new system you get points for various things - from simple stuff like don't draw cash at ATM's, to trickier stuff like use some of your overdraft, grow your savings by x amount / month and so on.
The first month on the new system I easily made enough points for level 5, even though I get no points for anything related to home loans, car loans, insurance products etc.
Just basic cheque account, credit card, savings account. And FNB Connect gave me some useful points as well.

Now, having done the above to get to level 5 on Gold, I then max out my fuel spend at Engen, by filling both my car and my wifes from my card, and max out my Checkers spend, by paying all my bills there, as well as general shopping.

That's a 15% rate of EB earn, so now I'm already at 6000EB / month, for what, R4000 or R 5000 spent?
The rest is just extras - normal credit card spend at 0.5% or something.

K3NS31

Expert Member
premier level 5, also not a huge spender. I get +- R200 a month from ebucks. Used to get more back from discovery but since I'm without the miles program for the time being, I figured I should try playing the ebucks game.

I haven't tried filling up at engen, will try that next month and see if the difference is worth it.
Easy to work out - how much do you spend on petrol? if it's above the maximum, then just take 15% of R1500 or whatever the max is now - that's how much extra you'd make.

Edit, my bad it's R4 / litre now. Oops.

Last edited:

zerocool2009

Expert Member
If you choose option 2, your total payment term will still be reduced (provided you don't take the money out at some point), right? Cos you're still reducing your principal by more than the monthly amount. That's my understanding but just checking.
That is correct, however your statements and App will not reflect the term reduction as the bank approved a facility for you over a fixed term (20 years) and if you do not default, the facility remains available for the full remaining term, although you will settle sooner and then still have the facility available

t_girl

Easy to work out - how much do you spend on petrol? if it's above the maximum, then just take 15% of R1500 or whatever the max is now - that's how much extra you'd make.

Edit, my bad it's R4 / litre now. Oops.
By my calculation I would have gotten about R140 back for fuel this month (35 liters). Pretty good.

t_girl

To the newbies the biggest earning categories are:

Checkers at 15% and Engen at R4 a litre this is where you score the rest is bonus...
Thanks. I think besides the fuel the only 2 other things I can do is purchase airtime and electricity at checkers instead of via the app.

Judge-ZN

Can an Islamic Private account be converted to a Fusion account and get the Fusion and overdraft points? Tx

Sohail

Pfft, FNB declined my Gold CC application as I earn just-just below the minimum income required.
Is there anything I can do? I do work only part-time.

I have showed them my current Nedbank Account + CC statement, but meh. I never spend more than what I earn.

I could've made L5 easy :cautious:

Snyper564

Expert Member
No. Nothing of that sort. Found out about it some time ago. Fusion accounts are interest bearing so Islamic banking doesn't want to get involved in that apparently
... He wants to convert his account in other words it will no longer be an Islamic account...

twr

To the newbies the biggest earning categories are:

Checkers at 15% and Engen at R4 a litre this is where you score the rest is bonus...
Thanks what if I stick with fuel at BP/Shell (as I get about R650 cash back with disc fuel) if say my cc spend p/m is about R3500 ,that wont equate to much eb? I can shop at checkers maybe R2000 p/m

NashyR

Help please, last month my husband and I did not receive the points for having a spousal account (even though we have been receiving the points for it for the last year). I phoned the call center 4 times already and all I am told is that it has been escalated. This was the difference between level 4 and level 5 for me. Is there any other way this can be escalated? (I am on premier)