Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020

ice330

Does it make sense to "invest" by purchasing USD using the global debit card?

billy786

eBucks run from 1st of the month until the end of the month, so it speaks for itself that the Kauai expires at the end of the month.
This assumption is incorrect. The terms and conditions on the Kauai website state that "Customers will receive their benefit on the same day as then ebucks allocation and their reward level update".

It goes on further to state : " The reward voucher is only valid for a month until the next ebucks allocation day and does not carry over to the next month"

Edit: Link to the terms and conditions : https://www.kauai.co.za/promotions/fnb-ebucks-rewards

Last edited:

signates

Executive Member
If you're going to spend in the same currency as your global account, go for it!

If not, you'd pay a 2.75% currency conversion fee on each transaction and at the "buying" rate. Then it doesn't seem worthwhile.
There's no currency conversion fee when topping up your global account from your cheque account.

Edit. Yes if you are buying at a different currency than your global account.

Muhsin

I haven’t spent anything online this month, any tips on how I could create online spend? Just for the points..

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I haven’t spent anything online this month, any tips on how I could create online spend? Just for the points..
Pay your municipal bill using Easypay
Order from Uber Eats rather than MrD/OrderIn (counts as online spend and you get 15% back in eB)
Buy your prepaid electricity on the app
Buy your airtime on the app

I spend 4k+ easy just with the above. More if I buy anything online...

Tinuva

The Magician
Order from Uber Eats rather than MrD/OrderIn (counts as online spend and you get 15% back in eB)

Uber eats falls into a new category, or in the past under Uber. So it is not online spend...

3WA

Executive Member
Download WeChat and use WeChat Wallet to withdraw cash from Standard Bank ATMs. Topping up the wallet is online spend.

It costs R5 per R1000 withdrawal.

Mythical-

Don't use the app for electricity or airtime, rather buy your electricity using easypay. Same for airtime, you aren't rewarded for buying it through the app.

skillet

I am so sure FNB make up the rules as they go, nevermind the yearly amendments to the earning rules.

Example:

I was not awarded any points for "Did you have FNB Savings and Investments Accounts and maintain a monthly balance of at least R16 500 across the accounts?" last month and after enquiring, they replied with:

"Our system indicates that you did not meet that criterion as the balance in your Fixed Deposit account was 15,370.38 in the month of July."

Two things seem wrong with the criteria description if this is how they want to play it:

1. "Did you have FNB Savings and Investments Accounts and maintain a monthly balance of at least R16 500 across the accounts?"

2. Did you have FNB Savings and Investments Accounts and maintain a monthly balance of at least R16 500 across the accounts?

32 Day Flexi notice should clearly be considered a "Savings and Investments Account" if they group it under "Savings and Investments Accounts" on online banking? So why is it not when it comes to points allocation?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I am so sure FNB make up the rules as they go, nevermind the yearly amendments to the earning rules.

Example:

I was not awarded any points for "Did you have FNB Savings and Investments Accounts and maintain a monthly balance of at least R16 500 across the accounts?" last month and after enquiring, they replied with:

"Our system indicates that you did not meet that criterion as the balance in your Fixed Deposit account was 15,370.38 in the month of July."

Two things seem wrong with the criteria description if this is how they want to play it:

1. "Did you have FNB Savings and Investments Accounts and maintain a monthly balance of at least R16 500 across the accounts?"

2. Did you have FNB Savings and Investments Accounts and maintain a monthly balance of at least R16 500 across the accounts?

32 Day Flexi notice should clearly be considered a "Savings and Investments Account" if they group it under "Savings and Investments Accounts" on online banking? So why is it not when it comes to points allocation?

View attachment 704563

View attachment 704571
The eBucks grouping seems to be different from Online Banking.

Fixed Deposit is a separate category on eBucks, as per your first attachment. It's just above what you circled.

Always go with what's written on the calculator, not what you can deduce from Online Banking...

zerocool2009

Expert Member

Example:

View attachment 704563

View attachment 704571
Read the fine print below the rule :

This excludes FNB Tax-Free Cash Deposit Accounts, FNB Equity Trading Accounts, FNB Unit Trusts and FNB Fixed Deposit Accounts.

kmeister

Not sure if this has been asked with regards to Telkom. But can you pay your Telkom bill at till at checkers?

Noisybottom

Not sure if this has been asked with regards to Telkom. But can you pay your Telkom bill at till at checkers?
I have in the past paid my Telkom accounts at a Checkers till, but have not done this recently. I do pay a City of Cape Town rates bill as well as DSTV subscription regularly at Checkers till.

Filosofer

Yes you can. Not sure if it makes a difference but I do it in the same transaction with a few grocery items

cozinsky

Expert Member

Example:

View attachment 704563

View attachment 704571
Just like other members stated above. Fixed deposit counts as a separate category, so you need to increase your fixed deposit to R49 500 or increase your 32 day Flexi to R16 500 to get any points. In short, your money is too little to qualify for anything.

cozinsky

Expert Member
This assumption is incorrect. The terms and conditions on the Kauai website state that "Customers will receive their benefit on the same day as then ebucks allocation and their reward level update".

It goes on further to state : " The reward voucher is only valid for a month until the next ebucks allocation day and does not carry over to the next month"

Edit: Link to the terms and conditions : https://www.kauai.co.za/promotions/fnb-ebucks-rewards
You are quite right, sorry. Easiest way is to look if the reward is active in your FNB app. If used or not active, it will be grayed out.