Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi01

Lol.. A teenager with parents cc.. I don't suppose there's anyway that a person can set a zero limit on the secondary card and just transfer money into it?

You could set limits per card previously, but a few years ago it changed.

beefymoocow

Expert Member
Does anyone know how to pay directly to a fnb credit card using eft. I used to be able to do it using my African bank account. But looks like African bank now has limited reference to 10 characters. Not sure if I can still make payment and get the payment allocated without my reference number.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Does anyone know how to pay directly to a fnb credit card using eft. I used to be able to do it using my African bank account. But looks like African bank now has limited reference to 10 characters. Not sure if I can still make payment and get the payment allocated without my reference number.
You need have full ref number, not worth the risk. Eft to cheque account then just transfer it over

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
So this might be of interest for the guys not getting their fuel payouts (myself included). I went to the Calculator and it by default indicates that I should be getting eBucks on fuel. The banner at the top of the page matches one's Target values total, and before you've changed any values that total should match one's Current (actual) payout. If it does not match then that indicates a problem.

1598127125569.png

tRoN

Executive Member
So I dropped a level because of 2 things which were easily misinterpreted.

1. Fnby account. I have a debit order for R500 every month but the rule says "grow" by R300 which I didn't notice. My kid spent R650 in July.

2. Have a spousal account. I have this but fnb said it was not doing any transactions which is true but the rule was vague.

Now to make sure I don't drop again i need to get an additional product.

Please advise what the implications of a fusion account are as that seems to be the easiest.

I don't want to compromise the other product points with this.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So I dropped a level because of 2 things which were easily misinterpreted.

1. Fnby account. I have a debit order for R500 every month but the rule says "grow" by R300 which I didn't notice. My kid spent R650 in July.

2. Have a spousal account. I have this but fnb said it was not doing any transactions which is true but the rule was vague.

Now to make sure I don't drop again i need to get an additional product.

Please advise what the implications of a fusion account are as that seems to be the easiest.

I don't want to compromise the other product points with this.
Yeah just get fusion account, just small finance fee you have pay. You get the most of the finance fee back every month on PC.

Deago999

So I'm not sure how i feel about the Smart Spend feature to be honest.
I mean 10% back on the beginning tiers is not bad sure.... but at leve 5 the first tier is R5000!

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but I definitely don't spend 5k a month on my CC... i usually get to about 2 - 3k a month. So definitely not a reward I can actually use frequently sadly.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Also noticing despite being level 5, am definitely earning fewer ebucks after lockdown.

Another thing I really dont like is that to earn your monthly bank charges back in ebucks ... you need 500K sitting around... so not really accessible for most.

citizensa

I mean 10% back on the beginning tiers is not bad sure.... but at leve 5 the first tier is R5000!

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but I definitely don't spend 5k a month on my CC... i usually get to about 2 - 3k a month. So definitely not a reward I can actually use frequently sadly.

Also noticing despite being level 5, am definitely earning fewer ebucks after lockdown.

Another thing I really dont like is that to earn your monthly bank charges back in ebucks ... you need 500K sitting around... so not really accessible for most.

I am also not sure why are you wasting your time trying to maximize your ebucks if you are not spending.
For you everything is a saving as you are not spending. eBucks or for that matter any reward programme will only work as you spend. With a spend less than 5000 monthly you won’t hit any reasonable rewards and it’s not worth the effort and time

BBSA

Honorary Master

You are very lucky, most people will spend much more on their cc.

Deago999

I am also not sure why are you wasting your time trying to maximize your ebucks if you are not spending.
For you everything is a saving as you are not spending. eBucks or for that matter any reward programme will only work as you spend. With a spend less than 5000 monthly you won’t hit any reasonable rewards and it’s not worth the effort and time

Because there are still benefits - like earning the R8.00 in fuel back per liter, like getting the full % back from partners, like getting the 40% discount on some of their items at the store.

So I may not be spending as much as needed to get every ebuck out - but its still worth doing.

You are very lucky, most people will spend much more on their cc.

Indeed you are very correct - and not something I take for granted. I was one of the small percentage of people who work in a sector that was for the most part - relatively shielded from the pandemic.

However despite that - I think 5k a month on spending is still a large amount all things considered.

So the average salary of a South African is R22 500 (Source) and thats Gross so you looking at more like R17k net.

Rent = R6500
Food (for 1) = R2000
Car Repayment = R3000
Petrol (2 tanks) = R1600
Insurance = R1300

Sub Total = R14 400

Leaving you R2 600 a month for stuff Ive left out like Medical Aid, savings etc

And only R3 600 of the above (Petrol and Food) would contribute to the Smart Spend

So the only real conclusion I come to is either someone has to be earning a great deal more to be able to afford R5K in spendings every month, or living on credit...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Indeed you are very correct - and not something I take for granted. I was one of the small percentage of people who work in a sector that was for the most part - relatively shielded from the pandemic.

However despite that - I think 5k a month on spending is still a large amount all things considered.

Sssh.
a3b65a35be7bcc5d5b3bfa842a7ded73.jpg

Muttley

Expert Member
Those spending targets are insane and precisely the reason I downgraded from PC to Platinum.
Every time they call to offer me PC, I always decline.
I was even offered PW but told them to go jump even further.

I've got no need for a private banker- heck in today's day n age, I'm not sure why you'd ever need one or how often you'd need one. I'll gladly pay R219 PM for banking fees but no more. In addition to this, after hearing the CEO a few year back on 702 that they were done with the Steve campaign to get new clients and were now embarking on mining their existing clients into new products, it all makes sense.

I wonder how many people just take this offer up to have a black card?

Bincx

Those spending targets are insane and precisely the reason I downgraded from PC to Platinum.
Every time they call to offer me PC, I always decline.
I was even offered PW but told them to go jump even further.

I've got no need for a private banker- heck in today's day n age, I'm not sure why you'd ever need one or how often you'd need one. I'll gladly pay R219 PM for banking fees but no more. In addition to this, after hearing the CEO a few year back on 702 that they were done with the Steve campaign to get new clients and were now embarking on mining their existing clients into new products, it all makes sense.

I wonder how many people just take this offer up to have a black card?

I think everyone needs to look at their own personal situation. I was on premier and looked at my average spend and after doing the math it was worthwhile for me to move to PC. Especially at the time given the other perks i.e. lounge access, avis P2P (i know it has since been scrapped).
Then i consider my dad who qualifies for PW, but for him it makes sense to be on Premier given his spending habits.

When the new rules was published I again looked at his profile and was considering bumping him up to PC, but then worked it out and the move would have only resulted in an additional 1000 ebucks (R100), but his bank account fee would move from R219 to R399. So it was not worth it. His average spend is approx R15 - 25k on CC.
If he was spending more, then probably worth it, but not at his current level.

Anyways, the point is.... you can use the calculator to compare and work out whether it is beneficial to move up a level or not (or even downgrade). For some its well worth it, for others not at all.

Deago999

I think everyone needs to look at their own personal situation. I was on premier and looked at my average spend and after doing the math it was worthwhile for me to move to PC. Especially at the time given the other perks i.e. lounge access, avis P2P (i know it has since been scrapped).
Then i consider my dad who qualifies for PW, but for him it makes sense to be on Premier given his spending habits.

When the new rules was published I again looked at his profile and was considering bumping him up to PC, but then worked it out and the move would have only resulted in an additional 1000 ebucks (R100), but his bank account fee would move from R219 to R399. So it was not worth it. His average spend is approx R15 - 25k on CC.
If he was spending more, then probably worth it, but not at his current level.

Anyways, the point is.... you can use the calculator to compare and work out whether it is beneficial to move up a level or not (or even downgrade). For some its well worth it, for others not at all.

Just one thing to consider.
A while back I was 1 instruction away from downgrading from Premier to gold - the banker called me to talk it through and what I would be giving up.

TLDR: he said the earning potential for ebucks was better on gold, but the maximum limits were less on Gold.
The main thing he said that kept me on Premier was that on higher tier packages - you got more and more preferential interest rates on credit cards and loans etc.

So one has to include the potential savings on a lower interest rate too, and high max rewards limits.

So it might be worth finding out if your Dad would get better interest rates if he did move up a tier, and then calculate what he would save on that, coupled with the extra ebucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.