Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
I hope so too, me and my wife usually use my card and I can do with more smartspend on premier. Have not seen a justification to go from R200pm to R400pm to switch to private
On the one hand you want more smart spend, but on the other you don't want to upgrade to PC (which offers R900pm more smart spend if on lvl 5).
Choose 1- A cheaper account with less SS, or a more expensive account, with more SS available.

nico_db

Quick question - was there communication released wrt Kulula falling away as a 40% discount partner? When booking a flight I only see discount indicated for Airlink and FlySafair flights. But not for Kulula anymore. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504_113751827_FNB.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504_113751827_FNB.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 79

marbro

Gonna take a big change to the smart spend to make me move over to PW,

premier targets are ok for us

3WA

Honorary Master
Quick question - was there communication released wrt Kulula falling away as a 40% discount partner? When booking a flight I only see discount indicated for Airlink and FlySafair flights. But not for Kulula anymore. Thanks
Is Kulula flying? I tried booking with them a month ago (not via eBucks), I was redirected to BA.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
My mother flew with Kulula that I booked a month ago. They are definitely flying.

airborne

Honorary Master
Thanks.

Wanted to be safe and cut out a few days from the 55 day period.
No need to do that, you setup an automatic payment to run on the 25th on online banking so you can take advantage of the full 55days and no risk of ever paying interest.

I've been doing it like that for years and I've never had any late payments or ever been charged interest.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
And are the costs fixed? I used my credit card to buy something in dollars and got charged more than 10% $3000 spend cost me $342 through nedbank!

So if my global account is an option in future... are the costs lower?
It's a 'global payment' under the 'Forex' menu. One doesn't need a global account to do 'Global Payments'. When you initiate one it seems your options are to have them debit your cheque/fusion account or global account.

edit: From the Home screen click on 'Forex' on the right and it will default to the 'Global Payments' tab.

1620158803629.png

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
It is percentage-based, but with minimums and maximums:

- Global payments (sending money): Commission: 0.55% (minimum R160, maximum R675) + Swift fee (R115) = R275 min and R790 max.
- Global payments (receiving money): Commission: 0.55% (minimum R 160, maximum R675) + swift fee (R115) = R275 min and R790 max.

So its better value for larger amounts.
Though it probably works something like this the info doesn't seem accurate (not doubting you potter123, it's probably incorrect info on their website).

I sent a small amount, R1500 to a US bank account recently and the charge was R295 for "SWIFT COMMISSION", then in a few weeks time I'm expecting another charge that they will levy, not sure what it is actually, but you select who is to pay it, so you either choose that the recipient pays, or you pay ('OUR' option, screenshot below) or that both parties share the cost.

1620158214928.png

When I've sent larger amount abroad then the OUR 'charge' ends up being anything between R390 and maybe R450, and it gets debited several weeks later. The "SWIFT COMMISSION" seems to get capped at R650 I've found.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
With a lot of hassle after the ebucks are in
send them a call me back request. or do it on the chat in the app. They will try to get you to stay on the current package though
Thanks. Just spoke to my private banker and he'll have me downgraded. I upgraded by mistake from PC to PW as my app was hanging and I somehow ended up accepting the upgrade offer.

potter123

Though it probably works something like this the info doesn't seem accurate (not doubting you potter123, it's probably incorrect info on their website).

I sent a small amount, R1500 to a US bank account recently and the charge was R295 for "SWIFT COMMISSION", then in a few weeks time I'm expecting another charge that they will levy, not sure what it is actually, but you select who is to pay it, so you either choose that the recipient pays, or you pay ('OUR' option, screenshot below) or that both parties share the cost.

View attachment 1062773

When I've sent larger amount abroad then the OUR 'charge' ends up being anything between R390 and maybe R450, and it gets debited several weeks later. The "SWIFT COMMISSION" seems to get capped at R650 I've found.
Yes, that looks about right. They've updated the values here: https://www.fnb.co.za/downloads/pricing-guide/products/FNB_PricingGuide_ForeignExchange.pdf

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 11.34.45.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 11.34.45.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 93

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
does FNB still give you ebucks if you take out a homeloan

and must the homeloan be your 1st ?

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Must be done directly though FNB and not a bond originator
Doesn't have to be first time
Doesn't apply to building loans (Yet)
And there's a max ebucks amount. You can't take out a bond on a R20m mansion and get your first month's repayment in ebucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.