Tips to Boost your eBucks - 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022

franshorn

That makes no sense. Why would scan work but not tap?
Virtual Card was created for ONLINE transactions.

Tap to pay was for retail outlets, where you would tap your physical card on the POS device to process the payment.
Since you cannot Tap your virtual card, as you can't actual hold it. Makes sense to me that you cannot select it to TAP via FNB pay.

Snapscan/ zapper/ masterpass, was always a digital/ online method of payment, hence you can use the virtual card.

Not quite difficult to understand, but each to their own

Speedster

Honorary Master

Tap to pay was for retail outlets, where you would tap your physical card on the POS device to process the payment.
Since you cannot Tap your virtual card, as you can't actual hold it. Makes sense to me that you cannot select it to TAP via FNB pay.

Snapscan/ zapper/ masterpass, was always a digital/ online method of payment, hence you can use the virtual card.

You're building your own logic here. There's no reason tap to pay can't work with a VCC. But you believe what you wish

fruitbat

Expert Member

Only thing I get out of this post is the mention of Zapper.

Last I checked scan to pay doesn't work with it. Is it working again?

franshorn

You're building your own logic here. There's no reason tap to pay can't work with a VCC. But you believe what you wish
because I'm a logical person...

everyone else here is just guessing, unless i missed it that everyone is still crying about why tap to pay cant work with your virtual card?

has fnb clarified this or not?

VBot

I was under that impression, but I upgraded recently and created a new VCC and then today I went to Checkers and tapped to pay with the VCC.

Supercarfan

because I'm a logical person...
So, logically speaking, why shouldn’t it be possible?

Just because you can’t foresee a reason or use case to use your virtual card via NFC (which one could argue is just a virtual representation of a card), doesn’t mean it isn’t or shouldn’t be possible. Other SA banks have already made it work.

Last edited:

mr_norris

Expert Member
Thanks. Do I get to keep the overdraft on my existing premier Cheque ac?
I don't see why not. Might be best to ask them. When I upgraded from gold fusion to premier fusion I asked them to keep the credit facility at the same limit. It wasn't in use though.

CUZ_458

I was under that impression, but I upgraded recently and created a new VCC and then today I went to Checkers and tapped to pay with the VCC.
i thought tap was only possible as the machine needs to read the chip in your physical bank card . How do we tap a virtual card ?

Supercarfan

i thought tap was only possible as the machine needs to read the chip in your physical bank card . How do we tap a virtual card ?
Using your phone or watch with FNB Pay, Garmin Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, or hopefully some day soon Apple Pay.

airborne

Honorary Master
Will it still ask for sms confirmation in this case?

Looks like TunnelBear can be used too- using Arg location. Somebody mentioned it was the cheapest until recently- hopefully no new increases soon.

Argentina isn't the cheapest anymore, Turkey is. From what I have read if your Netflix account already has a contact number added they won't require the verification sms when you sign up via VPN in Turkey.

Thanks. Do I get to keep the overdraft on my existing premier Cheque ac?
As far as I understand it no, you lose the overdraft which is a deal breaker for me. But look into it, Fusion credit balance interest rates may be competitive with overdraft rates but I doubt it.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Argentina isn't the cheapest anymore, Turkey is. From what I have read if your Netflix account already has a contact number added they won't require the verification sms when you sign up via VPN in Turkey.

Argentina isn't far behind. I posted a table with the cheapest options a few posts back.

As far as I understand it no, you lose the overdraft which is a deal breaker for me. But look into it, Fusion credit balance interest rates may be competitive with overdraft rates but I doubt it.

They increased my overdraft limit when I moved to fusion.

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Damn, so got rewarded for smart spend,however it was judges on l3.. Hope they will rectify thus next month.

TedLasso

Expert Member
So I saw someone in one of the WhatsApp ebucks groups post something about this (a different screenshot and it was put down to poor grammerr.

I was now checking my smart spend inside the app when I saw this too and the grammar here is definitely more explicit seems to be clear.

Is this a new thing? International spend on credit card / VCC does not count towards smart spend? That's about 15k of spend for me. I spent at Amazon and some other. Also makes one question the Netflix thing using other countries.

If so it's BS and I think I will be downgrading my accounts. Screenshot_2021-07-27-05-58-54-490_za.co.fnb.connect.itt.jpg

Tinuva

The Magician
So I saw someone in one of the WhatsApp ebucks groups post something about this (a different screenshot and it was put down to poor grammerr.

I was now checking my smart spend inside the app when I saw this too and the grammar here is definitely more explicit seems to be clear.

Is this a new thing? International spend on credit card / VCC does not count towards smart spend? That's about 15k of spend for me. I spent at Amazon and some other. Also makes one question the Netflix thing using other countries.

If so it's BS and I think I will be downgrading my accounts. View attachment 1114970
You are suppose to move your international spend over to the global card. It may not form part of smart spend, but at least you get 4% back in ebucks.

Tinuva

The Magician
So here is an interesting fact.

When you use your phone, tap and pay.
The slip shows a part of the credit card number right?
Have you noticed, this number is never the same as the physical card?
If you tap your physical card, the card number on the slip matches the physical card.

Sooo, that makes me think, the NFC/tap to pay, is technically already a random virtual card, but linked to the physical card. So basically, I am with the camp of people asking, why can't the NFC payment not be linked to the virtual card.

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Quick question.. All the guys that upgraded from Gold to Premier in the last month.. Are u guys all on L3?

eddybsb4u

So here is an interesting fact.

When you use your phone, tap and pay.
The slip shows a part of the credit card number right?
Have you noticed, this number is never the same as the physical card?
If you tap your physical card, the card number on the slip matches the physical card.

Sooo, that makes me think, the NFC/tap to pay, is technically already a random virtual card, but linked to the physical card. So basically, I am with the camp of people asking, why can't the NFC payment not be linked to the virtual card.

I’m in your camp too.