TMobileSA billing me for service I never subscribed to!

Crusader

Expert Member
I just received the following subscription SMS:

'The greatest time wasted is the time getting started. Dawson Trotman. SMS STOP to 37459 OR Call 27839007195'

Did some searching and found out it's from T Mobile SA. I'v never subscribed to any such service, and according to MTN I was charged R5 for the SMS.

It looks like it's standard practice for these scum to subscribe people automatically without consent. See Hello Peter complaints.

Surely there's some way that scum like these can be stopped. Now I have to go through the hassle of getting this stopped. I can't see how they can be allowed to just subscribe someone without their knowledge.

Voldemort

Death eater
I also got nailed this month R125, its not like we dont work for our money, bloody thieves!

Ianf1

Expert Member
Complain at waspa it worked for me. Just a frustating wait! Also get MTN customer care to unsubscribe you.

Crusader

Expert Member
Already did both of those. WASPA are closed for the holidays, but I did file a complaint.

It would however be much better if MTN offered some way of completely blocking any of these subscription services from your account. I'm never gonna use them so preventing them from using thieving tactics would be a great service!

Howzit42

Howzit42
Company Rep
How about if your bank just let anybody submit a request for payment and your bank just paid them without your authorisation? This is what MTN billing you R5 or R125 for an unauthorised SMS amounts to. It's bull if you ask me.

marine1

Honorary Master
Send Mtn a lawyers letter for the amount and for costs incurred in drafting letter. Next stop small claims court

Crusader

Expert Member
How about if your bank just let anybody submit a request for payment and your bank just paid them without your authorisation? This is what MTN billing you R5 or R125 for an unauthorised SMS amounts to. It's bull if you ask me.

I agree 100%. At the very least MTN, Vodacom, etc. should give the option to their customers to block these services from their accounts. As it is, they allow these thieves to do what they want without any checks and balances. If the customer complaints they just file an unsubscribe notice with the service. Too bad for the money that has already been deducted.