To Broker or not? - Medical Aid Advice.

GforceD

Executive Member
Need to get medical aid, so I was thinking of going to a broker and having them manage it for me.
So a few questions?
Is it cheaper to deal direct with the Insurance guys?
What are the benefits?
Can I get them to manage my Medical Aid , Car Insurance and Home Insurance altogether?

What are some good brokers?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Always cheaper to go direct.

Brokers are really handy because you just phone them and they sort everything out. I use a broker for insurance and honestly - worth it.

For medical though - unless you make use of them a lot I don't see the value in it. But I'm lucky, the only thing I uses them for was for my spectacles.

GforceD

Executive Member
Yeah I really want to simplify my insurance so i am thinking a broker would be handy if they can manage Life,home,car insurances and medical aid and gap cover. rather than me having to deal with a number of different people

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
In the case of medical aids I do believe the cost is no different.

They get a flat rate for signing you up but you ultimately pay the same you would directly. At least that's the case for me and Discovery.

So yes having one person/company do it all would really be in your best interest.

Mr Monty

Definitely get a Broker - as long as they are competent.

I'm based in Durban and I'll be looking for car insurance soon, and probably medical aid.

Problem is that I am below 25 years old and I'm worried that because of my age they will charge me an excessive amount, so maybe having a broker on my side will help?

Can anyone recommend a good, competent broker please?

SYNERGISED

I'm based in Durban and I'll be looking for car insurance soon, and probably medical aid.

Problem is that I am below 25 years old and I'm worried that because of my age they will charge me an excessive amount, so maybe having a broker on my side will help?

Can anyone recommend a good, competent broker please?

Personally, I use Brokersure PMB office.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
In the case of medical aids I do believe the cost is no different.

They get a flat rate for signing you up but you ultimately pay the same you would directly. At least that's the case for me and Discovery.

So yes having one person/company do it all would really be in your best interest.

And with most reputable short term insurer's the premium is the same.

Broker's aren't interested in just individual medical aid anymore because the fees and or commission were cut to ridiculous lows.
Most brokers will only assist on a group scheme basis.

brakpanpolisie

Yeah I really want to simplify my insurance so i am thinking a broker would be handy if they can manage Life,home,car insurances and medical aid and gap cover. rather than me having to deal with a number of different people

My broker does exactly that, handles everything. On medical the price you see is the price you pay, on life etc they charge a small amount but they declare (or should?) before you sign

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
And with most reputable short term insurer's the premium is the same.

Broker's aren't interested in just individual medical aid anymore because the fees and or commission were cut to ridiculous lows.
Most brokers will only assist on a group scheme basis.

Short term insurance wise my broker has always beaten goin direct on overall packages.

Akasha

Executive Member
I used a broker to apply for medical aid. The lady said that the amount I'm gonna pay is exactly what I would pay directly to Discovery. I sent a few emails and spent 20 mins on the phone with her, saved me a lot of time and effort, totally worth it