ShortSightDev

Hi guys

I hope you can help me out, I bought a second-hand Ford Fiesta off of gumtree after a very serious hi-jacking and out of desperation I bought it, blinded by the cheaper price and the look of a new(er) car.

Now, after having to replace the Welch plugs and tappet cover after owning the car for a year, the head gasket has blown which resulted in a very embarrassing moment on the M3 in morning rush-hour traffic with my car being engulfed in white smoke.

I'm over this car now, I want to get rid of it and remove this negativity out of my life, it has been nothing but an issue since i bought it. Lessons definitely learned!

Now I do need to mention that my old car was a beautiful 1982 mk1 golf in pristine condition which is now godknowswhere, and was subsequently hijacked because of how awesome the car was. I love Golfs, always have, always will. I love the simplicity of it and would love to get myself a new one but I want to get your opinion.

I know there is a very large following who like to mod Golfs and will do anything they can to get their hands on a Golf (clearly), is there a version of Golf that is quite secure? I'm talking about the old boxey ones, that ended production in 2009.

Or is there just no point in even trying?

I hope you guys can help, please ask questions about details I probably left out!

Cheers!

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
In that class of econobox, you are far better off with a pre-owned Kia Picanto / Hyundai i10, Toyota Yaris, a Nissan Micra, or even a Renault Sandero or Clio instead. Better value for money, low running costs, better specs (depending on the model) and a lower insurance / theft / hijack risk as well.

unobeat

Its unfortunate that you bought a lemon of a Fiesta that has spoiled your motoring experience.
Citi Golf are good reliable cars for what they, but as the guys have mentioned there is plenty of cars on the 2nd hand market that you can get.

What is your budget?

Craig

Honorary Master
By a safer car if you can. I drove a citi for 5 years, won't do it again.

thechamp

Honorary Master
NO, there needs to come a time when people have to move on, a Golf is fine, let those who already own them keep them but the rest of the population just needs to move on.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So after spending all that money to get the car sorted and knowing it's full history...now you want to sell it?

Doesn't make much logical sense.

Whatever you do...don't buy a CitiGolf.

dyllindd

You were hijacked in the MK1, yet you still want to buy a CitiGolf? Essentially the same car with the same risks attached to it.

Rather go for a i10 or Picanto depending on what your budget is.

gamer16

Executive Member
As said above, there are plenty of better cars, all I wanted my whole teenage life was a Citi Golf, then when I got one I was terribly disappointed, it really is a 30+ year old design, yeah its simple and easy bit so is a stick. Sold it, bought a Corsa, never happier.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
What's the budget? That's the real question here.

Citi Golf is about the worst choice, followed closely by a Datsun Go.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Bear in mind that although the golf will be cheaper to buy, you'll end up having to have a tracking device of a certain level in the vehicle, and that makes it more expensive as well.

On a separate note, I drove a citi golf for a while. I feel safer riding my bike than I did with the golf. :)

Neuk_

Expert Member
I own a 1982 MkI Golf GLS and love it but wouldn't drive it as a daily, for various reasons.

eg2505

Honorary Master
hijack risk citi golf,

plenty of better cars out there, depends what your budget is,

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Get a citi golf ...this newer cars are boring as furk compared to a golf