To Get A Dog or Not To Get A Dog!

lkswan747

Expert Member
Rather easy - that critter is plenty ugly. :p

But seriously, what breed would you recommend if I am looking for a low energy type dog? Sort of like an english bulldog without the slobber, heart disease and large price tag.
It depends on a few factors:
Size of property
Why do you want a dog?
Can you commit?
Will you be able to spend time on play, grooming etc.
Is your home pet friendly?
I think the breed would depend on your lifestyle and environment.
Consider adopting rather than buying a pet.

Superjakes

Expert Member
It depends on a few factors:
Size of property
Why do you want a dog?
Can you commit?
Will you be able to spend time on play, grooming etc.
Is your home pet friendly?
I think the breed would depend on your lifestyle and environment.
Consider adopting rather than buying a pet.
We are buying a property with a smallish (400 sqm) yard (hence the low energy dog)
My 14 month old loves "woewoes" (read "voo-voos" for the unilingual souls among us)
If I couldn't commit, I wouldn't be considering it.
Again - low energy, but it will get the attention it needs
This would mostly be an outside dog, unless I can be convinced otherwise; but I do value human guests over pets, so it won't be that kind of home...
I am asking for suggestions with regards to breed. It doesn't need to be a purebred dog.
I would prefer adoption over buying, but am scared of ending up with somebody else's "broken" dog - I mean, why did it go up for adoption in the first place?

lkswan747

Expert Member
We are buying a property with a smallish (400 sqm) yard (hence the low energy dog)
My 14 month old loves "woewoes" (read "voo-voos" for the unilingual souls among us)
This would mostly be an outside dog, unless I can be convinced otherwise; but I do value human guests over pets, so it won't be that kind of home...
I am asking for suggestions with regards to breed. It doesn't need to be a purebred dog.
I would prefer adoption over buying, but am scared of ending up with somebody else's "broken" dog - I mean, why did it go up for adoption in the first place?
You dont have to adopt an adult dog, most adoption agencies also have puppies for adoption. Check your local agency. The nice thing about adopting, in my opinion is the pet chooses you more than you choose the pet.

agustino

Ask a neighborhood kid to take care of the dog when you go on holidays. Consider getting 2 so he doesn't get lonely when you're not around.
Is it possible to ask neighbour to take care for your dogs

Polly101

Expert Member
don't get a dog if it lives outside

they need to be part of the family

diapason

Expert Member

Even the animal shelters who adopt out animals expect that they will sleep indoors overnight and you have to sign to that effect.

RedViking

Nord of the South

Even the animal shelters who adopt out animals expect that they will sleep indoors overnight and you have to sign to that effect.

Absolutely rubbish. Of course you are welcome to let your dogs sleep where you want them to. But they don't have to sleep indoors. And the SPCA doesn't require them to sleep inside. As long as they are warm, dry and safe outside. It is perfectly fine.

Polly101

Expert Member
Absolutely rubbish. Of course you are welcome to let your dogs sleep where you want them to. But they don't have to sleep indoors. As long as they are warm, dry and safe outside. It is perfectly fine.
sure, you may have your opinion, as long as you don't lie to the shelter when they do their home check

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You'll never have a better friend than a rescue dog.

RedViking

Nord of the South
sure, you may have your opinion, as long as you don't lie to the shelter when they do their home check
What are you taking about? As long as the dog sleeps under a roof and is safe and secure there is nothing to lie about?

Madaboutbullterriers

Please do not bother getting a dog if he cannot be part of the family. How would you feel to be locked out of your house with no company, warmth or love. My guest know that my dogs are part of the family and if they don't like it they need not visit

RedViking

Nord of the South
Please do not bother getting a dog if he cannot be part of the family. How would you feel to be locked out of your house with no company, warmth or love. My guest know that my dogs are part of the family and if they don't like it they need not visit
Or you should just get out more.