to jailbrake or not to jailbrake

macboer

I know this is a topic that has been ridden to its bones on some forums, but i couldn't find it clearly in this one.

I know the pros, but is it worth it and is there a chance that the phone will be bricked?

Ps. i realise that i'm posting this on a geek forum and probably 90% of you have it jailbroken.:D

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
It's worth it if you're a tinkerer, not really worth it if you are happy with your iPhone as-is, which is already pretty awesome.

Personally I liked it, especially multitasking support, 5 icon dock, SSH and SBSettings.

The chance of bricking your phone is pretty much zero, although it's easy to lose settings & apps and stuff so be careful and make backups. There's a lot of info online on this.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Why do you have to jailbreak? Its like buying a new car and having to chip it just to go on public highways and allow for passengers.
What you need is something gr8 - get an N8 :p

cerebus

Honorary Master
Ugh rouxenator what a joke... a Nokia??? At least recommend an HTC Desire or something worthwhile. Youre so full of it man.

Anyways i'm having difficulties with jailbreaking atm. It's not as straightforward as it seems. Now it's borked my iPod app - songs begin to play then go back to the main menu.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yeah, keep on telling yourself that :p
As if the need to jailbreak something was not a good enough indication... esih, you have an appletude problem.

cerebus

Honorary Master
No I have a decent mobile OS problem. I don't care which one it is. Shouldn't my recommending an Android phone have indicated that I wasn't an Apple fanboy?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You clearly have not [-]driven a Ford lately[/-] used a Symbian device lately. Maybe check out some of the latest reviews on GSM Arena.
It is ahead of the competition in terms or hardware requirements and its an an extremely open platform.
The N8 will run Symbian^3 which will be like everything you ever wanted - just a little better. Oh, and not need to put it on parole or break it out of jail.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Jailbreaking originally made my iPhone sluggish but now that I've updated to 3.1.3 and jailbroke it again it's much snappier.

TBH I dont really derive any benefit from having it jailbroken anymore so I might just revert back.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I had an N97 about a week ago actually. Was such a horrendous experience I sold it immediately and got myself an iPhone. So ^3 had BETTER be something special or Nokia is in serious trouble if my impressions were anything to go by.

And 'jailbreaking' Symbian is if anything even more frustrating than jailbreaking iPhone... Not to mention pointless because there's all of about 10 apps you actually want to use for it. Try finding yourself a decent ebook reader for your Symbian device...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
OK, you got me there. The N97 was crap before V30 so I get your point and I can understand where you are coming from.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Look - you don't complain about your PC breaking because you downloaded a virus through your torrents do you. So long as you use the iPhone as it's intended you don't have ANY issues. Jailbreaking problems are your own fault. So I'm not whining about it, it's just a pain now I have to go and do a system restore AGAIN.

Pooky it doesn't make it slower by itself no. But I found that some things like winterboard might affect the speed.

macboer

Seems jailbraking is still as controversial as ever. I think one of the main reasons for me to jailbrake will be to get all the awesome games. but then again, i don't know if i will actually play the games allot as i never have been a "gamer". (lol, as if the iphone is a GAMING-DEVICE :p)

What apps are NOT in the ZA store, that you can't live without without a jailbroken phone??

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Seems jailbraking is still as controversial as ever. I think one of the main reasons for me to jailbrake will be to get all the awesome games. but then again, i don't know if i will actually play the games allot as i never have been a "gamer". (lol, as if the iphone is a GAMING-DEVICE :p)

What apps are NOT in the ZA store, that you can't live without without a jailbroken phone??
The iPhone is awesome for gaming. Most of the games aren't in the ZA Store, (because they all have to pay R4000 to be rated by our ratings board, amongst other reasons). In fact all the cool apps are in the US store, so just get a US iTunes account. It's easy and free.

Yeah I also jailbreaked and pirated a lot. You can do that. In future I'll think I'll buy Apps though.

iPhone OS 4 also removes one of the great advantages of Jailbreaking which is multitasking, and it's gonna be implemented muchbetter than the jailbroken multitasking ever was!

adsl3g

Expert Member
Jailbreaking originally made my iPhone sluggish but now that I've updated to 3.1.3 and jailbroke it again it's much snappier.

TBH I dont really derive any benefit from having it jailbroken anymore so I might just revert back.
SAme here - I have upgraded to 3.1.3 and not jailbreaked again- running very smoothly ATM - iPhone OS4 will definately not be on my list for jailbreaking.
If I had my ID and a water & lights account with me today, I would have got the 3GS @ Dion Wired - (luckily) they refused to sell without those documents.

Gothan

Expert Member
Because of the lockinfo app, I am forced to jailbreak everytime, I just cannot do without my lockinfo, oh and my grip notifications. But thats about it...oh no wait...Mcallshow is also a must. But yes jailbreaking does slow down your phone, not so much in speed as in memory usage

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
:D Don't mean to be trollin' here but seriously guy - you need to haxor your phone, buy and install a 3rd party app just to show you missed calls, the date, message notifications and other stuff on your lockscreen ?!