To live: Joburg vs. CPT?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I've lived in PE - it is a shithole. Was back then and now it's progressed to a waterless shithole.

Joburg is Joburg. It's not great but it's not bad. This city works and it works at a pace unlike any other city in this country.

Cape Town is nice but if yo don't have the money to live in the nice areas then you are not in for any kind of upgrade to your housing or commuting situation, you'll be worse off probably.

So unless you are rich your choice between CPT and JHB comes down to whether being "poorer" is worth what you gain in your surroundings.

Just to be clear - when we Joburg guys visit CPT like I just have we come back saying it's great because we stayed in areas like Granger Bay, Sea Point and got to spend all our money going to the V&A, Cape Point, Table Mountain, sip coffee in a Simon's Town coffee shop mid morning, boat trips, restaurants, views like this every morning:
B2FC24BE-6596-4068-9CFD-F74F68EA863C.jpeg
It's not a reflection of the reality of living there. In the words of my Cape Tonian brother: "The locals can't afford it".

EDIT: for the right job I'd move there yes

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I've lived in PE - it is a shithole. Was back then and now it's progressed to a waterless shithole.

Joburg is Joburg. It's not great but it's not bad. This city works and it works at a pace unlike any other city in this country.

Cape Town is nice but if yo don't have the money to live in the nice areas then you are not in for any kind of upgrade to your housing or commuting situation, you'll be worse off probably.

So unless you are rich your choice between CPT and JHB comes down to whether being "poorer" is worth what you gain in your surroundings.

Just to be clear - when we Joburg guys visit CPT like I just have we come back saying it's great because we stayed in areas like Granger Bay, Sea Point and got to spend all our money going to the V&A, Cape Point, Table Mountain, sip coffee in a Simon's Town coffee shop mid morning, boat trips, restaurants, views like this every morning:
View attachment 943496
It's not a reflection of the reality of living there. In the words of my Cape Tonian brother: "The locals can't afford it".

EDIT: for the right job I'd move there yes
My mind is salivating.
I would be stoked waking up to that view every day.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
If you'd like to be able to swim in the sea, then Cape Town isn't it. The Atlantic is simply too, too cold.
Durban, however, has the Indian Ocean, and vast, welcoming sandy beaches.
The hell are you talking about? The Atlantic is the best place to be in the middle of summer.

doodlesZHS

The hell are you talking about? The Atlantic is the best place to be in the middle of summer.
TBF we don't have the best beaches in CT for bathers,where won't you freeze you nuts off if you not wearing a wetsuit,Fish Hoek beach,Muizenberg,Glencairn?

Stillie

Expert Member
@SandtonScandi

Disclaimer: This is my experience so far and most likely wont be the same every where

My family and I did just that, left Jhb and moved to CT. So i can tell you our experience.

I applied for a job in Cape Town and was set to start 1st April (Days after the lock down - luckily the company I was going to had our backs and never cut pay/said we dont have a job, so i was blessed in that regard)

We only eventually were able to move to Cape Town with the clothes on our backs (Everything else was in storage in Jhb) on the 1st May.

For the first month i absolutely hated it, we were a family of 3 staying in a tiny ass 1 bed flat (on the beach front (Big Bay)) that we were able to use while our friend moved in with his parents. We werent able to do anything except walk on the beach front between 6 and 9am.

We quickly went house hunting and found a lovely 3 bedroom house with a big garden in Sunningdale and the rent is about R11k pm with lights and water. So i think thats a fair rent for a 3 bedroom house with decent sized rooms and its in a lovely area. When we moved down my insurance on everything basically halved from coming from jhb. VW Polo TSi (Jhb - R1600pm) i am now paying about R800pm.

One thing that threw me off was the area we are staying in there are a ton of people that park their cars outside in their drive ways etc. This freaked me out because its not common to see that in Jhb. So i spoke to my neighbour (Who is part of the hells angels lol) and he moved from Jhb to CT about 14 years ago and he says the biggest issue in cape town is smash and grabs, not really car thefts (not sure how true this is but this is what i was told)

Now that we staying in a home and are comfy i am loving CT more and more. Roads are clean, hardly any rubbish lying around, **** works. If a robot is out in the morning, that afternoon its up and running again. Roads are mostly in very good condition and when there are pot holes, they get fixed pretty quickly.

The beach is a nice place to go to but i personally dont go there daily, my fiance loves it and she could go there every day. Im not a fan of the cold AF water, my son loves it to bits so thats a win.

The beaches are also set up pretty cool in the sense there is tons of parking up and down the beaches, if you find one beach is too busy we just go more north on the west coast and we stop off at the one beach that has an amazing view of table mountain and is generally quiet.

One thing i do miss about jhb is the ability to travel 120 most of the time, here the average speed limit is 80 even on "high ways" There is maybe one or two roads that i have been on that allow you to go 120 but not many at all, but then again we have not been able to do too much travelling till recently so that view of mine might change.

When it comes to traffic i dont go to and from work every day, i just go the odd day and its generally after 9am so i dont experience the traffic (Office is in Century City) but one thing i love is how much petrol i save since being here. My morning commute in jhb was from edenvale to rosebank and that was annoying AF and i would do about 2k pm because of stop go driving (Robots and traffic).
My commute now is maybe 5 robots and most of it is on a main road (60 - 80km/h)

All in all i dont think i would live in jhb again, i feel more chilled and relaxed here. I am enjoying the weather, it has its cold days and the wind on some days can be crazy but wind never bothered me anyway. I just wish the water was warmer so i could actually enjoy it, thats my only gripe so far lol

I personally would say if you can find a good paying job in cape town and not in cbd (i heard thats where traffic can be a b1tch) then i would make the move.

If you have any specific questions let me know and will answer them based on my experience.

Good luck mate.
@Tander thanks for the tag bud

genetic

Honorary Master
@SandtonScandi

Disclaimer: This is my experience so far and most likely wont be the same every where

My family and I did just that, left Jhb and moved to CT. So i can tell you our experience.

I applied for a job in Cape Town and was set to start 1st April (Days after the lock down - luckily the company I was going to had our backs and never cut pay/said we dont have a job, so i was blessed in that regard)

We only eventually were able to move to Cape Town with the clothes on our backs (Everything else was in storage in Jhb) on the 1st May.

For the first month i absolutely hated it, we were a family of 3 staying in a tiny ass 1 bed flat (on the beach front (Big Bay)) that we were able to use while our friend moved in with his parents. We werent able to do anything except walk on the beach front between 6 and 9am.

We quickly went house hunting and found a lovely 3 bedroom house with a big garden in Sunningdale and the rent is about R11k pm with lights and water. So i think thats a fair rent for a 3 bedroom house with decent sized rooms and its in a lovely area. When we moved down my insurance on everything basically halved from coming from jhb. VW Polo TSi (Jhb - R1600pm) i am now paying about R800pm.

One thing that threw me off was the area we are staying in there are a ton of people that park their cars outside in their drive ways etc. This freaked me out because its not common to see that in Jhb. So i spoke to my neighbour (Who is part of the hells angels lol) and he moved from Jhb to CT about 14 years ago and he says the biggest issue in cape town is smash and grabs, not really car thefts (not sure how true this is but this is what i was told)

Now that we staying in a home and are comfy i am loving CT more and more. Roads are clean, hardly any rubbish lying around, **** works. If a robot is out in the morning, that afternoon its up and running again. Roads are mostly in very good condition and when there are pot holes, they get fixed pretty quickly.

The beach is a nice place to go to but i personally dont go there daily, my fiance loves it and she could go there every day. Im not a fan of the cold AF water, my son loves it to bits so thats a win.

The beaches are also set up pretty cool in the sense there is tons of parking up and down the beaches, if you find one beach is too busy we just go more north on the west coast and we stop off at the one beach that has an amazing view of table mountain and is generally quiet.

One thing i do miss about jhb is the ability to travel 120 most of the time, here the average speed limit is 80 even on "high ways" There is maybe one or two roads that i have been on that allow you to go 120 but not many at all, but then again we have not been able to do too much travelling till recently so that view of mine might change.

When it comes to traffic i dont go to and from work every day, i just go the odd day and its generally after 9am so i dont experience the traffic (Office is in Century City) but one thing i love is how much petrol i save since being here. My morning commute in jhb was from edenvale to rosebank and that was annoying AF and i would do about 2k pm because of stop go driving (Robots and traffic).
My commute now is maybe 5 robots and most of it is on a main road (60 - 80km/h)

All in all i dont think i would live in jhb again, i feel more chilled and relaxed here. I am enjoying the weather, it has its cold days and the wind on some days can be crazy but wind never bothered me anyway. I just wish the water was warmer so i could actually enjoy it, thats my only gripe so far lol

I personally would say if you can find a good paying job in cape town and not in cbd (i heard thats where traffic can be a b1tch) then i would make the move.

If you have any specific questions let me know and will answer them based on my experience.

Good luck mate.
@Tander thanks for the tag bud

You've summed up CPT pretty well. Things just work, and when they don't they get repaired pretty quickly.

It's generally a very clean, well run city.

JHB CBD is a shytehole. CPT CBD is prime property. That explains it all.

genetic

Honorary Master
No, I was right the first time.

How so?

Cape Town CBD is clearly marked on a map, as is Johannesburg. The fact that JHB's businesses have made a mass exodus does not detract from the fact that JHB's official CBD is still a shytehole, and CPT's CBD is still cleaner and better maintained than Sandton's.

Show me any street in Sandton CBD as clean and well maintained as this (Bree Street, CPT CBD);

Untitled-1.jpg

Nearly all of CPT's CBD streets look like this.

Hell, even Century City is much cleaner than Sandton.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent

I didn't say Sandton CBD is better than CPT's, I said it would be a fairer comparison. Sandton itself is a municipality on it's own.

Trust me, nobody here is saying JHB is better maintained than previous Cape Town. Nobody.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I've lived in both, and currently live in Pretoria, so I know what I'm saying when I say it depends on the job you have (salary + overall job satisfaction).

When I lived in Cape Town, I went to the beach around once a month. Sure I enjoyed seeing Table Mountain in the distance, but if we're honest the inside of a Woolies Food is the same in Johannesburg as it is in Cape Town.

The clincher for me is I wasn't happy with my job in Cape Town. I wanted to enjoy it. I'd fought so hard to get there. But corporate politics squashed it, and when I applied for other jobs, I got a much better job in an industry I I really wanted to work in ... in Centurion.

Pretoria feels like a sort of happy middle ground. There are some parts of Pretoria where you could even swear you were in Cape Town, with small leafy winding streets.

Yeah there's no beach, ok. And no Lion's Head to climb. And no V&A Waterfront. But you spend 95% of the time you're alive at your office, or at home, or at your local shopping centres ... none of which are very city-specific.

On the topic of crime, it's worth mentioning I lived for five years in JHB North without a single incidence of crime, and when I was in holiday in Cape Town last year my Airbnb apartment was burgled by thieves who pulled the burglar bars right off the window ... and I got to spend some time in the local police station reporting that, which was not a tourist activity I was planning.

Would I move back? For the right job in my current salary range, hell yes. But if you're going to take a R10000/month knock for the joy of living in Cape Town, that's one seriously expensive "ticket" you've purchased for beach access ;)

3WA

Honorary Master
Ok it can have health benefits too. The drier air is good for people with chest problems.

Absolutely. I grew up in Durban and the humidity killed me. I'd think very carefully before moving back to the coast.

genetic

Honorary Master
Good thing 2017 was the last drought ever.

I'm sure it's not. CPT has more water saving measures in place than Gauteng, so is far better equipped to survive the next drought. :)